iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Member Here, Never to Late Until it is.

Started by MVDeerxing, December 22, 2021, 06:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MVDeerxing

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on December 22, 2021, 08:06:50 PM
Welcome to the forum. Outstanding first post AND you have filled in your profile info too! Obviously you have been reading along for a while and I can't help but ask what took you so long to join in? :D
Nobody that I saw mentioned it, but for your question, I am thinking you have a hard maple there (AKA sugar maple) judging by the bark and it looks like you have some spalting and pithy spots in the open boards.
Now as long as I am replying, I have a question for you. I see by your setup that the discharge side of your mill is near a wall. How do you handle the sawdust on that side? I run an similar setup and it is still a pain to deal with. We are working on options and jsut wondered if you already have a good one.
OG, Thank you for the Welcome. Yes I have been reading and learning. I have learned what to do and most inportantly what not to do.
"What took so long you ask"  To keep it simple, I was not sure I was going to be on this side of the grass for long. Came out the other side unscathed. Nuff said. 
Guess the stranger is more interesting, or some townsfolk have a righteous case of the willies. Yes Yes you are correct my question was over looked. Part of that might have been that when I was posting the first two photos I filled in the description, thinking that would be posted so there was no info for the photos??
Yes on the Sugar Maple as it came from my sugar bush. I understanding about the spalting, but it is the brown spots that have me out of my wheel house. I have never seen anything like this. I uploaded some more photos last night. The funny think is the spotd were only in around 12 - 3/4 of the log.
Sawdust.
The building where my mill is set up was a house with attached garage, the house was removed. The garage first floor was 7'-6" and the second floor was 15' to the ridge. I reversed it and went with 13' first floor and 9'6" on the second floor. So if I was building a new building things would be a little different.
 Ideally I should have set up a gutter chain in a trough below the floor with a grate to walk on, but this is a hobby thing for myself. So I open the doors seen in the photo and get reacquainted with the broom and shovel into my tractor bucket.
The other thing I could have done was set the mill away from the back wall more and run my skid steer
 behind the mill and out an end door. But that takes away from my log loading in front of the mill, because I close my doors and enjoy what I am working on.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Jeff

Well hello there @MVDeerxing . Just thought I'd pop in here for a moment to see what I could learn about myself.  ;)  welcome. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

hacknchop

Welcome . The spots you are referring to are either mineral staining or ingrown bark both are common in maple but more prevalent in red or soft maple as we call it.
Often wrong never indoubt

MVDeerxing

Quote from: Don P on December 23, 2021, 08:19:54 AM
As long as you don't say "I'm from OSHA and I'm here to help"  :D
Funny thing here never heard or saw this OSHA that you ask about. So we are all good.
But I do enjoy reading your posts,TY

MVDeerxing

Quote from: Magicman on December 23, 2021, 08:41:38 AM
Good Morning MV, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  We traveled through some of your 'NEK-VT' country several years ago, entering from Quebec, and bought cheese in Cabot before we made the ferry crossing to NY.

Congrats on your sawing adventures and we look forward to seeing more pictures.  8)
Good Morning to you Sir,
Thank you for the welcome. Yes I enjoyed your stories of your travels, you do put on the miles. Cabot Cheese the good stuff.
We drive down to Quechee, VT (pre Covid) to the antique mall, Cabot has a store in there and you can have lunch with all the cheese samples, then back to the diet plan.

samandothers

You certainly have been around for a while and have many of the characters here pegged.  Glad you decided to post and partake in the back and forth ribbing!
Merry Christmas!

MVDeerxing

Quote from: hacknchop on December 23, 2021, 09:30:43 AM
Welcome . The spots you are referring to are either mineral staining or ingrown bark both are common in maple but more prevalent in red or soft maple as we call it.
Thank you for the welcome.
I am not sure if you can see enough details in the photos, but I do not think that it is mineral staining but am inclined to agree with you on ingrown bark. I could be wrong so I am listening. Do you know what would cause this and does it have a proper name. The spots were in 1/2 - 3/4 of the log.
Here is a close up if that helps. TY

SawyerTed

Quote from: MVDeerxing on December 23, 2021, 08:04:52 AM
Quote from: SawyerTed on December 23, 2021, 05:49:38 AM
This thread is reminiscent of the Andy Griffith episode "Stranger in Town".....
The stranger been reading, what you townsfolk have put out there to be read. Chickens, Grits, Hitting metal, rolling ATV, 23y. old, loosing blood, nuff said :-X a sense of reality in good humor.
Precisely, and we make it so inviting others want join even with the good the bad and the ugly!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

MVDeerxing

Quote from: PoginyHill on December 23, 2021, 06:23:50 AM
Nice to have another northern Vermonter in the fold!
Thank you and Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Stay warm 8deg here this AM

MVDeerxing

Quote from: SawyerTed on December 23, 2021, 10:24:37 AM
Quote from: MVDeerxing on December 23, 2021, 08:04:52 AM
Quote from: SawyerTed on December 23, 2021, 05:49:38 AM
This thread is reminiscent of the Andy Griffith episode "Stranger in Town".....
The stranger been reading, what you townsfolk have put out there to be read. Chickens, Grits, Hitting metal, rolling ATV, 23y. old, loosing blood, nuff said :-X a sense of reality in good humor.
Precisely, and we make it so inviting others want join even with the good the bad and the ugly!
Coffee and or adult beverage finds it's way to my computer screen to many times from what I have read here. The good bad and the ugly is just a part of life, it is all in the attitude life is to short to keep one.

MVDeerxing

Quote from: samandothers on December 23, 2021, 10:07:17 AM
You certainly have been around for a while and have many of the characters here pegged.  Glad you decided to post and partake in the back and forth ribbing!
Merry Christmas!
I have been enjoying this site for far to long on the other side and have learned and also enjoy others journeys.  
Merry Christmas to you and yours  

MVDeerxing

Quote from: farmfromkansas on December 23, 2021, 08:59:29 AM
Good morning Most Valuable deer crossing.  Starting with a LT70 is quite a start.  I had a similar past to yours, just quit building too, but it was 20 years ago. Still love building things, just need a smaller scale.  And a farm is a great place to retire, no problem finding plenty of projects to keep you busy. And no need to sell the stuff you used in the building business. It will work with a farm and a mill.
Good Morning to you,
The MV is actually, Mountain View, so MV works. But knowing where the deer are crossing is most valuable during hunting season.
"Starting with a LT70 is quite a start." Agree. Think they say go big or go home.
 It just so happened that I was looking at a new LT40 loaded when I saw a used LT70 for less $$ than the 40, but was over 1000 mile round trip away. So road trip time. You know the worst part of the trip was the 70 had been sitting for a couple of years and them tires were cold (winter) and had flat spots for some reason, so neck pain was it store for us. When I pulled into Wood-Mizer NY, one of the first things I asked was if they had new tires, sorry out of stock. The drive home just became longer.
Restoring a 3 story barn is a lot of work for one man, but it is what I enjoy and on my time. So yes plenty of projects. 
Sell tools no add to the pile yes. 8)

MVDeerxing

Quote from: mudfarmer on December 22, 2021, 09:21:37 PM
Welcome aboard! thecfarm will be along soon to talk to you about logrite, since you managed to nail the picture posting :D

Nice maple, have spent a little time in your NEK of the woods and it sure is a great place with friendly people!
Thank you for the welcome. I think the fear of picture posting did not help me over the fence, but it was a walk in the park.
thecfarm is welcome to stop over, I have been to his town over in ME. But I will have to inform him that I agree that Logrite is a great company (from what I have read here on the FF) :P and they make great products. but since I have way to many cant hooks, peaveys and hookaroons for one person to use any onetime. Sorry the antique collector in me, eye candy that still work. Fact I have something to post in Baby Cant Hook.
Merry Christmas to you and yours, and also to the rest of the members that have welcomed me here.

WV Sawmiller

MV,

Thanks for the additional information but I felt obligated to warn you that certain members, when not out watering the fire hydrants and truck tires, delight in chastising new FF posters about proper paragraph spacing and such. I just wanted to forewarn you so you don't get your feelings hurt like I do when people criticize my ATV exploits. Other than this one particular uncouth thwarted English grammar teacher :D, you will find most of the guys and gals here are a pretty good bunch and won't be critical of spelling or grammar errors and people will laugh with and not at you. ;)

Jeff and the admins are very diligent in keeping this a family friendly site and are very careful about reminding people to keep it civil and to never intentionally hurt someone's feelings. I find this very refreshing. Take care and keep the posts coming.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

steve marek

WM LT40HD logrite ach 718 woodmaster timber framing tools 3000 ford tractor 359 395 husky chainsaw woodmizer e50 single blade edger woodmizer 260 moulder 2538 mahindra tractor kd 250 kiln

WDH

Quote from: MVDeerxing on December 23, 2021, 10:09:22 AM
I am not sure if you can see enough details in the photos, but I do not think that it is mineral staining but am inclined to agree with you on ingrown bark. I could be wrong so I am listening. Do you know what would cause this and does it have a proper name. The spots were in 1/2 - 3/4 of the log.

https://www.fs.fed.us/nrs/pubs/jrnl/1979-rc/ne_1979_gregory_001.pdf
Phytobia setosa, cambium miner, an insect, damage.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

MVDeerxing

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 23, 2021, 11:54:05 AM
MV,

Thanks for the additional information but I felt obligated to warn you that certain members, when not out watering the fire hydrants and truck tires, delight in chastising new FF posters about proper paragraph spacing and such. I just wanted to forewarn you so you don't get your feelings hurt like I do when people criticize my ATV exploits. Other than this one particular uncouth thwarted English grammar teacher :D, you will find most of the guys and gals here are a pretty good bunch and won't be critical of spelling or grammar errors and people will laugh with and not at you. ;)

Jeff and the admins are very diligent in keeping this a family friendly site and are are very careful about reminding people to keep it civil and to never intentionally hurt someone's feelings. I find this very refreshing. Take care and keep the posts coming.
Double Post.

MVDeerxing

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 23, 2021, 11:54:05 AM
MV,

Jeff and the admins are very diligent in keeping this a family friendly site and are very careful about reminding people to keep it civil and to never intentionally hurt someone's feelings. I find this very refreshing. Take care and keep the posts coming.
WV,
Thank you for your observations about certain members, been reading for a few years  :P. But please do not take anything wrong that I have said, you have some thick skin seems your name comes up a lot the good, bad and ugly all in the name of Ribbing.

These days we all can blame spell check and computer jumping for improper paragraph spacing and spelling errors.

I know what this forum stands for and the hard work that they do. That is one reason I joined. Also I would never intentionally hurt anyones feelings, as life is to short for that  :-X. Just thinking that you are putting me on notice here. My problem is that I do have a sense of humor But with no attitude.

WV Sawmiller

No, I am just warning you about them south Ga Bulldogs. :D :D

Sorry about the double post. I usually just fat finger them off into cyber space then remember some vocabulary I've been trying to forget then start over. ;D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

MVDeerxing

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 23, 2021, 12:43:46 PM
 No, I am just warning you about them south Ga Bulldogs. :D :D

Sorry about the double post. I usually just fat finger them off into cyber space then remember some vocabulary I've been trying to forget then start over. ;D
Sorry WV, that double post was on me. I know nothing about south Ga Bulldogs, sounds like a tough breed. :D

WDH

Some people need more coaching than others  :D.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

MVDeerxing

Quote from: WDH on December 23, 2021, 12:18:09 PM
Quote from: MVDeerxing on December 23, 2021, 10:09:22 AM

https://www.fs.fed.us/nrs/pubs/jrnl/1979-rc/ne_1979_gregory_001.pdf
Phytobia setosa, cambium miner, an insect, damage.  
Thank you for the reply WDH.
Never would have though it was insects as I never saw outer bark holes, damage. Must be a very small insect.

So the big question are the miners still alive and will I have long term issue with the wood?
Any photos of a miner / insect.

Also is the look sought after, (No I am Not Selling) I like the look, the grain is a little crazy / different in places.
Who would have thought Blue denim pine was a hot item.

I did find this after reading your link, from FF member Gene Wengert.
https://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Cambium_miners_effect_on_lumber_grade.html

Your last post  8)

WDH

Just so you know, those insults to grammar teachers and Georgia Bulldogs were thrown at me.  You are innocent. 

thecfarm

Well I see you know about the Logrite product. Nice people, made in the USA. 
You will like sawing.
How are you getting the logs to the mill? 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MVDeerxing

Quote from: WDH on December 23, 2021, 01:30:16 PM
Just so you know, those insults to grammar teachers and Georgia Bulldogs were thrown at me.  You are innocent.
No Comment, :-X 8) 

Thank You Sponsors!