iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Franklin q80

Started by air1514, December 25, 2021, 12:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

air1514

Howdy.   I just bought a Franklin q80.  As far as I can tell, it's supposed to have a 6 speed power shift but the trans selector only has f1 f2 park and r1 and r2.    Am I missing something?   Also about half the time it won't go into any gear.  I'm assuming the gear selector electric controls are going bad.    I'm sure somebody has messed with these before.   I can't find any info anywhere. Thanks 

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

kiko

I can't help with the q80 esp without it being in front of me.  The q series was never sold in my area as the dealer had taken on tigercat and no longer sold Franklin machines.  I have no info on the Qs .  I can say this  the shifter communicates to the display which is the transmission control module which controls the transmission solonoid.  There is likely an electric fault relating to the solenoids that control 3rd gear.   I don't know how to link it but there was a recent thread about a 170S with similar transmission shift components and that fellow was able to locate someone that had that information.  Maybe could be of some help with the Q as well.

BargeMonkey

I'm in a Franklin group on FB, your not alone. The parts for the IQAN system 🤷‍♂️ are scarce or non existent for those machines, see guys with 6 toggle switches and 3 packs of harbor freight wire connectors making up shift kits for those last gen machines. Not sure who to tell you to ask if Kiko doesn't have a clue. 

air1514

Thanks guys.   Maybe I should not have bought a Franklin.  This skidder has really tight pins and everything is in good shape. Seems it has sat most of its life.  I'm also having a problem with the grapple open and close. I think it's in the valve body.  I'll get it figured out eventually.  That's a good idea with the toggle switches.   

Southside

They are a very well made machine, I have always been happy with mine.  On my 170 almost everything is a component part that can be found today, just need to know what you are looking for - that can be the trickiest part.  

Give Forestry Construction in Goode, VA a call.  They bought tons and tons of Franklin parts at the auction and have mountins of information.  They might be able to help you.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Skeans1

Quote from: BargeMonkey on December 25, 2021, 06:48:58 PM
I'm in a Franklin group on FB, your not alone. The parts for the IQAN system 🤷‍♂️ are scarce or non existent for those machines, see guys with 6 toggle switches and 3 packs of harbor freight wire connectors making up shift kits for those last gen machines. Not sure who to tell you to ask if Kiko doesn't have a clue.
Stuff for IQAN should be still available it might take an upgrade but most of the stuff is available through a Parker dealer.

air1514

The hydraulic solenoids on the valves for the grapple are Rexroth.   I've looked and can't find any parker interchange.    I got the trans working correctly for the time being at least.  It was the relays that are above the fuse panel in the dash.  

dgdrls

Quote from: air1514 on December 25, 2021, 08:12:52 PM
Thanks guys.   Maybe I should not have bought a Franklin.  This skidder has really tight pins and everything is in good shape. Seems it has sat most of its life.  I'm also having a problem with the grapple open and close. I think it's in the valve body.  I'll get it figured out eventually.  That's a good idea with the toggle switches.  
Limited experience, however I think you made a good buy based on your description,
and input from others,
Pictures??
D

AndyBurky

Hey guys,

I know this is an old post, but have any of you had any luck finding IQAN controllers for the Q80's?
Since I have some experience with programming new IQAN modules and I have a need for the Q80 TCU I am thinking of trying that route. 
but before I do that, have any of you figured out anything?

Firewoodjoe

I can't help you, sorry. But I have heard of a few iqan systems go down that were out of date. Some had expensive update options. I've avoided machines with them because of it. Fabtek, some timbcos, logset. I'm sure alot of companies use them. One forwarder I considered was a 2005 and I checked on availability of the iqan. It was discontinued. Maybe they use the same system. Call a cat dealer that dealt with a lot of fabtek 133s. If you can find the right guy he may be able to give you a model number and if their update is available yet. I heard it wasn't cheap. 

AndyBurky

Thanks @Firewoodjoe ,
I have an interest in keeping the old IQAN systems available for loggers, which is why I am working on a Franklin Q80 gear selecter right now. (I work at Golden Rule Equipment if that explains enything for you.😊).

I am really disappointed with the support for the old electronics, so if anyone has IQAN related questions, you can try me, I would like to try to help.

Thank You Sponsors!