iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer LT 15 dies when I lean the mixture

Started by flyingparks, December 28, 2021, 08:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyingparks

Greetings All,

I was doing some holiday milling and things were going great. Then I shut the engine down after milling a nice log. I refilled the tank with some new ethanol-free gas, the same stuff that was in there already in the tank. The mill had trouble starting. I waited and enriched the mixture, basically choke full on. Then it started up just fine. But it cuts off when I lean the mixture. It won't run at all if I lean the mixture, but sounds pretty good with the choke fully on. Any ideas? My first thought is a sensor issue of some sort. It has been running just fine for a year or so. Kohler G18 engine. Altitude: 7,000 ft. Temp: just above freezing. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. The lady is excited for her she shed.

Southside

Sounds like a fuel obstruction.  Maybe filling the tank jossled some junk around and it got sucked into the pickup tube.  I would try a fresh fuel filter and see if you have good flow coming out of the fuel lines, if not clean them out or replace them.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

kantuckid

Which engine? My older (maybe 21 years?) LT15, original Kohler Command Pro 15 hp, now has a Chinese clone carb, the 2nd fuel pump, the 2nd gasoline fuel shutoff, the 2nd solenoid and a Chinese tach/hour meter that never worked. Mines at maybe 1,250' elev. 
The carb I've got was cheap and since the OE carb is NLA- it's what I deal with but honestly it's a crappy carb that only runs well on choke. That said I'm a professional mechanic and know how to adjust one, etc.. 

Maybe I'll get lucky and this engine will turn into a Honda someday? :D
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

kantuckid

Quote from: Southside on December 28, 2021, 08:51:21 AM
Sounds like a fuel obstruction.  Maybe filling the tank jossled some junk around and it got sucked into the pickup tube.  I would try a fresh fuel filter and see if you have good flow coming out of the fuel lines, if not clean them out or replace them.  
Great advice. 
I use automotive fuel filters (and larger than OE oil filters too) that are larger, cheaper and clog less. 

Maine Miller

Maybe try a little Sea-Foam. Definitely sounds like lack of fuel. Maybe got a little sip of water from the bottom of the tank.

Old Greenhorn

Pull the air filter and see if/how it runs. Could be water or ice crystals in there causing issues or adding water to the mix. I know it's dry there, but this is a quick easy check.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

farmfromkansas

The Kohler engine on my Cooks mill acted like that once, I put some seafoam in it, and the more I ran it, the better it ran.  Mine sits for months at a time, usually just use it during winter.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

newoodguy78

Seafoam is great stuff. Had a couple irrigation pumps this summer acting like that. Swapped out the fuel filter and gave them a healthy splash of seafoam all issues disappeared. 

kantuckid

Seafoam definitely works-and it's mentioned a gazillion times, or more?, on my motorcycle forum. That said it's sure not a cure-all. As a mechanic, it was not my common fix but a lazy try item. 
Since today I'm spitting up big gr ::) ::)n gubers might be Seafoam time for this old fart?    

flyingparks

New fuel filter and seafood. Heard it a million times, first time using it. Mill is back up and running! Thanks y'all!

Andries

Quote from: flyingparks on December 28, 2021, 11:37:59 AM. . .New fuel filter and seafood. . . 
It's so true, that every thread is about food. 
( just kidding ) my mill gets a healthy regular dose of seafoam too, especially in winter.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

ladylake

When you filled the tank did you use the quick couplers,  if so maybe you have a bad o ring in them.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

flyingparks

Quote from: ladylake on December 28, 2021, 12:43:46 PM

When you filled the tank did you use the quick couplers,  if so maybe you have a bad o ring in them.  Steve
I'm not familiar with quick couplers for fuel, so no. 
Quote from: Andries on December 28, 2021, 12:06:58 PMIt's so true, that every thread is about food.
( just kidding ) my mill gets a healthy regular dose of seafoam too, especially in winter.

;)

ladylake

\

Quick couplers unhook  the fuel line so you can take the tank off the mill and fill it.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Dave Shepard

I don't think the LT15 has a removable tank, it's just the factory tank on the engine.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

flyingparks

Ah yes, my friend has those quick couplers on his LT40. Sadly, I do not.

luap

Quote from: flyingparks on December 28, 2021, 08:35:52 AM
Greetings All,

I was doing some holiday milling and things were going great. Then I shut the engine down after milling a nice log. I refilled the tank with some new ethanol-free gas, the same stuff that was in there already in the tank. The mill had trouble starting. I waited and enriched the mixture, basically choke full on. Then it started up just fine. But it cuts off when I lean the mixture. It won't run at all if I lean the mixture, but sounds pretty good with the choke fully on. Any ideas? My first thought is a sensor issue of some sort. It has been running just fine for a year or so. Kohler G18 engine. Altitude: 7,000 ft. Temp: just above freezing. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. The lady is excited for her she shed.
classic symptoms of obstruction of main jet. remove the bowl  and main jet can be unscrewed from carb. Inspect the jet, it will have a series of very small hole around its diameter that are easily blocked with debris ,clean the jet and the bowl with any carb cleaner from auto parts in a spray can. wouldn't hurt to have a new bowl gasket on hand before you start.

DennisK

Remove the air cleaner and choke it with a rag at WOT, just might suck it through.

Thank You Sponsors!