iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2022 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2021, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beavertooth

2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Andries

Beavertooth, I agree with your statement that most customers just can't, won't, or will not sticker and stack properly. I have supplied pictures, explained why it's preferable to sticker properly, yet it's unusual to come across a customer that 'gets' it. 
Is it because they are $motivated by the idea of cheaper lumber when they get their own logs milled? Is it because they think the sawyer is just being way too fussy? Are they surprised at how much work is involved and opt for good enough sloppiness ? Maybe all of the above.
I don't get emotionally involved with the lumber that I mill for customers, but it super frustrating when I hear later that they were disappointed with twisty lumber.
. rant mode over .
Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery to your wife!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

barbender

Beavertooth, sorry to hear of your wife's heart attack! I'm glad you're able to be there with her more.

I hear what you guys are saying about stickering. But with framing lumber, I think all of the stuff BT shared pictures of will be fine.
Too many irons in the fire

Andries

😁 At least it has snow rain cover! 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

firefighter ontheside

I put a big walnut on the mill yesterday and milled it into a bunch of 6/4 and one big mantel.  I got boards from 8 to 15" wide and the mantel is 6"x8"x8'.  Then we threw a few small walnut logs on.  I got a few live edge slabs from each that someone will buy for crafts and then a mantel out of each one.  I really need to stock up on mantels.  I sell every one I make and they're so easy to do.  Sorry, one pic is in ther twice.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Resonator

Remember you can always go back to a post after posting and click "Modify" in the right hand corner and make changes if needed. smiley_thumbsup

And to stay on topic I'm sawing some black ash today, sounds like winter's gonna hit here next couple days. :snowman:
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

firefighter ontheside

I went back to modify it, but I thought I deleted the extra pic.  When I saved the duplicate was still there.  Deleting pics isn't as easy as text.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Wlmedley

Still working on my pine logs.Slow but sure.Got about 450 bf of 2" lumber so far.Turning out pretty good.Cut a few 1" boards to keep from wasting wood and leaned against woodshed.Noticed a pretty pattern in wood.Shame it's just pine.

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

jasonb

Quote from: Magicman on December 13, 2022, 08:02:37 AM
@2 Jugs, That one day road trip Friday will be in Prairieville, so I will be in your back yard.
MM
I would love to meet you Friday if it is possible.  
HM122

Magicman

I will send you a PM with the address. 

PM sent.  MM
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

E-Tex

Nyle 200pro Delivery Day!
I won't have the chamber built for a while, but glad the kiln is finally here.

LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

E-Tex

A few recent jobs....

L2 Sawmill LLC

Magicman

Looks like you have been busy Lance.  :)

I made my 248 mile round trip sawing job today.  It was a long day beginning early but very successful.  I had to argue with my GPS which cost me 20 minutes but I still arrived before 7:00am and my customer had a hot egg/bacon/cheese sandwich ready for me when I arrived.

Five 10' logs, 4 of which were in the 34" class.  Can you tell which ones had the metal?  The smallest had nails which cost a blade, and we bucked the one on the right and avoided hitting exposed cable and saved a blade.

I was glad to meet FF member jasonb who stopped by for a visit.  Meeting him and being able to chat for a while was a special treat.

Today's tally was 2426bf all sawn 2¼ slabs in 6 hours and invoiced bf rate.  That plus the customer tipped me $200.  It was a very good job to close the year out with. 

This was a repeat customer that I sawed for two years ago.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Clearly Nyle has changed the specs on the kiln.  Mine didn't come with the pre-filled drink koozie.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

GAB

Quote from: Southside on December 16, 2022, 11:40:48 PM
Clearly Nyle has changed the specs on the kiln.  Mine didn't come with the pre-filled drink koozie.   :D
Maybe it was something you said that led them to believe you were a tea toadler.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Beavertooth

Nice looking lumber Lynn. Glad you didn't have to do it next Friday 🥶
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Magicman

Thanks Craig, yup next week would have required "wood antifreeze".  ;D

If I had sawn this "hourly rate" it would have required $175 per hour to equal the bf rate.  ;D

jasonb

MM

Thanks again to you and your customer for allowing me to hang around for a couple of hours.

And to those that wonder, that seat looks pretty comfortable.  A lot better than standing/walking all day.
HM122

Magicman

I also found out that you are an expert nail extractor:

You even dug one of the nail heads out of the top cut.  ;D

jasonb

Every carpenter should know how to remove a nail or at least have the proper tools to do it.
HM122

E-Tex

Clearly Nyle has changed the specs on the kiln.  Mine didn't come with the pre-filled drink koozie.   :D
Haha, yes sir.  With the price I paid, they should have included 23 more Lone Stars👍🏻
L2 Sawmill LLC

olcowhand

Hear! Hear! After seeing that, I might be ready to order.....
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

jasonb

A friend wanted a 3.5"x9.5"x14.5' beam cut for his dad.  He brought over 2 18' pine logs and told me to choose the best candidate.  After getting it positioned on the mill with the backhoe(this is the first log that I needed machinery to get on the mill), I took 2' off of the big end to get it to a little under 16'.

Finished cutting at 1:25 in a slight rain and it hasn't stopped raining as I am posting this.

Hope to deliver tomorrow.

Will make 2x10s out of the rest of the cant.
HM122

Magicman

Looking good.  At least one of us was busy today and I am glad that it was not me.  Cold and steady rain here today.

No more sawing for me this year after sawing those 65 slabs down your way Friday.

firefighter ontheside

I've decided I really need to mill more mantels.  I can sell mantels for the same price or more per bf and don't have to kiln dry them.  Just stack them for a year or two and then sell them.  Sometimes I will run them thru the planer to make them look a little more appealing.  I did 3 walnut mantels and my first cherry one this morning.   Also, I can use logs that otherwise are kind of small for making lumber.  I like these walnut ones where the bark comes off very easily and I can scrape what's left with a drawknife.  People like the look that they have with the dark cambium layer still on there.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!