iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why is my moisture reading temperature dependent?

Started by kelLOGg, April 04, 2022, 07:07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I am drying maple in my DH kiln and measuring the MC with a Protimeter pin-type meter inserted 1/4 of the way into a test board with the wires from the probe passing thru the kiln wall to the meter. The MC reading got to about 10% and stayed there for days. The temperature in the kiln was about 90°F. I turned the DH unit off and waited several days until the temp fell to about 65°F and the MC read 6.5%. Turned the DH unit on again and with the temp at 90°F the MC was again 10%.. etc..etc... This has been a problem for years but it seems to be getting worse or I am getting more frustrated with it.

The moisture meter has a temperature compensation feature but apparently has never worked. Anyone else observed this problem? Should the probe and meter be at the same temperature? If so, this method is toast.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

firefighter ontheside

My delmhorst has a setting for temperature so that it can correct for the temperature.  I would think that yours either has the same feature, or a correction chart based on temperature.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Rule of thumb for these pin meters that measure resistance and then convert that resistance reading to MC, is that they are accurate at 70 F.  Add 1% MC to the reading for every 20 F cooler, and subtract 1 for 20F warmer.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

kelLOGg

Thanks, Gene.
I assume that is the temperature of the probe inside the kiln.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Yes, it is the temperature of the wood around the probe.  It takes a long time for wood to cool, so oftentimes the kiln temperature is valid for several hours after the wood leaves the kiln.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!