iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this a realistic plan for Washington state?

Started by AboutTreeFiddy, April 23, 2022, 03:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AboutTreeFiddy

Here I sit, in Seattle, surrounded by homelessness and skyrocketing property values, in what seems to be an ever increasing radius away from the city.

And I can't help but think "What if I clear cut land outside the city to sell to residential developers?"

I'm one man. But I think I could clear a lot on my own, grind or pull the stumps, stake the property lines, and flip the land.

Obviously it's more complicated than that, so I'm here to ask those questions:

Can I just purchase and clear cut land to sell the timber? I know I need a forestry permit in Washington, but what other permitting would I need, if any? How do I find out if the timber rights are intact or separate? How do I find out if lands are protected?

I don't want to process the timber, I'm not that man. So wholesaling to lumber mills sounds appealing, is this an option? And if so, do I have to transport it myself? Will they come and get it for a fee? How do I determine a fair price?

Is it feasible and profitable to do this as one man?

These are the primary concerns I have as I craft this business plan. If these don't come in at a reasonable budget, then asking the rest of my questions would just be wasting your valuable time.

Thanks for any insight you can give me 
✌️🌲🌲🌲

GAB

ATF:
You need to find out if there is any zoning, and what those requirements are as far as lot sizes, septic requirements, and other requirements that might affect your bottom line.  Is there a town or city fee for schools or other municipal government services associated with procuring a building permit?
You need to get a copy of your land use regulations and town or city plan and study them carefully, which may result in having to read both numerous times.  Hopefully you will not need a lawyer to interpret them for you.
If you are planning on selling lots will you be required to build the road or access and if so to what standards.
I would need a lot more info before I could discuss your request semi intelligently at best.
As an aside, I am a member of the town of Charlotte, VT, planning commission and also the design review board at this time.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

dougtrr2

In my opinion the reality is, if there was money to be made by clear cutting land and developing it, the residential developers would already be doing it.

Doug in SW IA

rusticretreater

There are so many things that go into what you are suggesting.

Zoning may not be a problem for you, but for the prospective purchaser as they might have to get it rezoned for their purposes.

For marketing considerations what kind of utilities are nearby?  Are wells and septic used?  Is the ground suitable for percolation tests?  As previously noted, easy access to the property is a consideration.

Clearing land has implications in water/silt runoff.  You might be required to do some mitigation work.

Forestry companies are now required to plant new trees as part of the process of logging older trees.  Washington State surely has this and a few more regulations being a "green" state.  You might have to pay some tax or contribute to a fund to "pay your share".

If your trees are good enough, there are companies that will come and grade the trees and give you a package price.  You do need to have a good quantity to make it worth their time. You can load up the logs and take them to a sawmill and sell there. You can have a local sawmiller come and look too.

Look online for your county gis website.  Usually there is a link off of the main county website.  The gis systems are usually kind of clunky, so spend some time poking around the menus.  The system will overlay all sorts of information for you.  Elevations, zoning districts,  restricted areas, etc.

If anything, you will get a lot of knowledge on how governments handle these things.

Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Ron Scott

Contact a professional consulting forester serving your area for advice in the land and resource management rules and regulations to meet your desired timber harvesting and land development objectives.
~Ron

Gary Davis

in oregon some land is zoned commercial forest and you need over 70 acers to build one house 

Thank You Sponsors!