iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing bark

Started by welderskelter, May 05, 2022, 01:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welderskelter

Is it just me or do some of you try to get as many boards out of a log as you can. I find I spend a lot of time and wind up with all these little pieces of bark trying to eek out another 1x4. Seems if I take a bigger first bite I think I am ruining the logs . Dont make sense.

kelLOGg

I try to get as many boards as possible whether for me or a customer. It takes more time to the point that it is probably not economical; it is just a serious hobby for me and not a living. Even if a 1x4 is not full length I will usually go for it. 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

barbender

I usually take a bit lining up my opening face. Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting time when I end up with a bunch of wany 1x6. But if I try to get rummy and take a big slab off the top, I end up missing a 2x12 or something in my slab😂 Still looking for that happy medium 😊
Too many irons in the fire

beenthere

If you can use 4" 1x or 2x, then open the log to get that first face.  If minimum is 6", do that on first face.
But have a good idea where the rest of the sawlines will be to get that 2x12. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ladylake

Depends on the log and what you want.  Not many   bf in a 1 x4. I try for 1 x 6 unless I need  a lot of  crappy 1 x 4  such as furring strips for steel roofs.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Chuck White

I used to go for a 2x4 for the second cut if the log was a little questionable.

Cutting 2 inches will yield a wider surface for that third cut!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Crossroads

I avoid cutting the bark as much as I can. On the opening cut, I center the pith, find the top edge of the cant, count up 1x or 2x to were I'm just above the log and decide whether to make a cut or hit the down switch before making a cut.  I used to search for every board in a log, but realized I was cutting more dirt/bark and wasting time on low quality boards. Now if a customer puts a 16' log in front of the mill I make 16' boards. That being said, I make it clear ahead of time that if they cut logs long with the intent of making 2 boards later, that they will miss out on some volume. As opposed to cutting the logs to the desired length + trim. Sometimes I make my first cut and think, dang, that was too deep and push it off to the loading arms to take another cut later. 9 times out of ten it's a waste of time and should have gone to the burn pile in the first place. If cutting 2x material, I will plan a 1x for the first 2 cuts, if it's there. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

beenthere

Crossroads
The best quality in a log is often just under the bark (if quality is what you are after). Go for the opening face that gives you the minimum board width and length you are accepting. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dgdrls

I like to, but don't always peel the bark off before I start sawing,
Some species are easier than others.

D

Ventryjr

I ended up having to make 2 passes at the first slab cut often.  I try to pull at least 1x5s from my jacket boards.  I have a friend that's been taking my slabs trying to make some siding to match his log house.  Only problem is most of my slabs are paper thin.  I'm gonna have to run some fatter slabs off for him. 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

cutterboy

I slab heavy. The time and effort it takes to edge out a skinny board isn't worth it to me. I burn the hardwood slabs in my wood stoves so they don't go to waste.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

tawilson

Quote from: cutterboy on May 06, 2022, 07:46:41 AM
I slab heavy. The time and effort it takes to edge out a skinny board isn't worth it to me. I burn the hardwood slabs in my wood stoves so they don't go to waste.
I used to go skinny. Not now. I put this up for a temporary railing on our under construction lakehouse and the wife likes it.
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10919/20220506_084152.jpg?easyrotate_cache=1651840941
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Deese

I used to go skinny when I was younger, but now go for heavy ones. I used to cull'em until I realized I'm one myself ;)
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Thank You Sponsors!