iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting the most life from your blade guide rollers

Started by Beavertooth, May 07, 2022, 09:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beavertooth

This roller has exactly 1/16" of flange left on it from an original of just a little over 3/16" with only a 1/32" of taper worn on the roller from back to front. Just wanted to post this to show that you can get a lot of life from your rollers if you keep the bearings changed and keep the tilt on them adjusted right so that they will not wear into a cone shape prematurely. I have no idea how many hours this roller has on it. 

2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

barbender

I'm just wondering how your blades do if they're hitting the flange  that much?
Too many irons in the fire

Beavertooth

I keep them adjusted at Woodmizer recommendation 1/16 off of blade on drive side and 1/8 on idle side whenever I make adjustments but don't necessarily keep them that close as they wear. I have a LT70 with 62 turbo engine and I do push them hard as can and still saw straight. I sharpen my own blades and get several sharpenings out of them before they brake. 

Southside

I keep mine closer to 1/4" off the flange on my Super 70 and have no issues with sawing fast and flat.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

Quote from: barbender on May 07, 2022, 10:00:22 PM
I'm just wondering how your blades do if they're hitting the flange  that much?
I would think you would break more blades

JoshNZ

I keep mine about 1/8" off the flange and I reckon my band rides the flange all day long in anything more than a 16" cut. I get 10+ sharpenings out of most bands, usually I hit something and that's when I give up on it, have snapped hardly any.

I don't have a debarker and I swap out at the first hint of dulling, so my hands prob do a bit less revolutions in their run than most.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Beavertooth

Peter I may could get another 1/32 wore off of it before it starts caving over backwards.  :)

Peter Drouin

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)  smiley_beertoast
I have 4 new ones coming. That will give me 6.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!