iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watcha Makin'?

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 20, 2022, 07:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aigheadish

Such an easy oiling trick Larry, with the ROS, and of course I would've never thought of it. Also, the table is beautiful!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Tom K

Larry - What type of oil finish did you use on this?

Larry

Tom, I used Livos Countertop Oil for the third coat on my table.  The first two coats were Livos Oil Sealer.  First coat goes on and sets for a few minutes than is wiped off.  After that I wipe it on and rub it in with a Scotchbite white pad on a ROS than wipe with a old tee shirt.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

firefighter ontheside

For my part, this cabinet is done.  It was falling apart when I got it.  It needed new back panels for bottom and top.  One new side panel on the bottom.  It needed 3 new doors made and one door dismantled and re-glued.  It needed repair to 2 drawers and one new drawer made with the old drawer front.  It needed all new structure for the drawers to slide on.  It needed a new bottom panel in the base.  It needed all new handles and hinges on drawers and doors.  I sprayed some Kilz primer in the upper case to cover up the stains from all the years of sitting on the front porch.  I have 17 hours in it and about $100 of parts and pieces.  I think it will last a long time now.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Cabinet came out nice Bill. Repair work can really be time consuming trying to make it all match up. Every time I repair something old I seem to have to create some new skills whether I like it or not. ;D But I'm not a wood worker.
-------------------

It's been a while since I put anything here because I see what the other guys are doing and frankly, I am just making 'junk' right now.
 I finished that commissioned cabinet a couple of weeks ago.

Waiting for the client to come get it.

I also made some more device stands for my show stock.

I think I would up with about 45 of them and I have upped the price a buck or two. ;D

I got a stool base from a cousin about a year ago and they asked me to 'see what I could come up with, so I got that finished and will deliver it on our next visit.

It's an old Ice Cream Parlor stool.

I also finished off this Red Oak cookie mirror thingy.

In past shows I have had a couple of record shop owners ask me if I would make those device stands to hold and display LP's. One is a local fella I know. Nobody has given me any specifics about sizes or anything, so I made a few prototypes that hold double fold albums.

Bonus point to anyone who can list at least 3 reasons that particular album is significant and a treasured part of my collection.

Lastly I had a request from my daughter for a 'little Boy's first tool box' based on my 6 pack carriers. So I made two today, one for her and one for showing or using to pack stuff to shows. Poplar ends, pine sides and bottom, cherry handle. She said, 'make it rough, the kid will beat it up.' I was a little boy once too, a very long time ago in a prior century, so I left it plain and he can 'adorn it' as he likes.

Anyway, I am making stuff, just not much good stuff.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

Nonsense, Tom.  You're making cool stuff.  The stool is pretty.  I like the shapes and colors.  
Sean just said the mirror looks like an avacado.  That is a neat piece.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

thecfarm

On the 3 guesses,
Someone you set up for.
Went to school with.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PC-Urban-Sawyer

That boy's toolbox will be a treasure when he's your age...

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on November 27, 2023, 08:24:22 AM
That boy's toolbox will be a treasure when he's your age...
Then I should have done a better job. ;D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

WV Sawmiller

My favorite is the stool but the toolboxes are neat because of the personal/family touch there. 8)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Hilltop366

I'm thinking those tool boxes would make a nice planter box if it was built around a plastic liner.

Old Greenhorn

Actually both of those are for family. The stool goes back to VT on our next trip and the toolbox is for my daughter's nephew. Both are just fun gifts.

Hilltop366

Yep got that, just throwing out ideas for craft show things. Something faster, less materials and easier than a bench but bigger and more money than a tablet stand.

aigheadish

I do a pretty fair amount of hanging out in my shop staring at my backyard. I am a member of a whittling sub-reddit, on reddit, and there's some neat work happening, so I got interested. I had a chunk of 2x4 sitting around but quickly determined that I didn't have a knife that was suitable so I bought a pretty basic whittling kit. My skills are slim as I've never really messed around with this stuff but I spent several hours making these little guys over the past couple days. It's been fun. I only sliced into my thumb one time good. I may need to invest in a suturing kit as well before too long, though I am wearing some protective gear, I may not be wearing it in all the right places. 

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Old Greenhorn

Man, I wish I could do that. I might give it another try someday, but I need a guru. What kind of wood are you using Austin? I have a mess of 4x4's in basswood out on the drying rack well done I was going to cut up for cravers but none have actually followed up and showed up to buy anything. If you need some. I'd be happy to cut and send whatever you want.
 It would be a good way to pass the time at shows.

beenthere

Carvers and turners don't want to buy wood, they do like to make something from free wood that starts out with no value. Just what it is.. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Old Greenhorn

Well the carvers I ran into were all excited about finding a new source of basswood and made all kinds of promises to make arrangements to come get stuff especially when I said I would mill it to their size specs. But not a one actually showed up.

aigheadish

Basswood is the most popular wood I've seen and what came in the kit. It is kind of like frozen butter to work with, meaning really nice. I haven't gone back to the 2x4 (presumed Douglass Fir but who knows) with the knives I now have to see how it carves but it felt dang near hard as a rock when I first started messing with it. I'm not sure that I'll be nearly as creative as a lot of whittlers I've seen but it's fun to do while I relax from work or whatever. I think it'd be a great little thing to do while sitting at shows. The picture below is the mess it made, just for the more completed mushroom... Good fire starter.

The biggest stuff that came in the kit is probably 2"x3" or so, it'd be great to have some bigger pieces Tom, let me know and I'll send you some duckets to send me some! I haven't sourced any yet so I have no idea what to expect price wise, other than the 10 dollar box or whatever you can get on Cramazon.

Old Greenhorn

No problem but be patient. I have to pull it out of the rack and cut some up for ya is all. Not sure when I will have time to do that. I'll just send you some 4x4 blocks and you can dice it up into whatever smaller sizes you want.

rastis

I had a log of butternut show up recently. Called a wood carver friend in Maine who came down over the weekend. We sawed it up and he will be sharing it with others in his area. 

aigheadish

I'm all kinds of patient Tom, thank you!

chep

@Old Greenhorn 
I love that toolbox Tom I'll commission you for a slightly more rugged version of that. My lil boy is a hammer. Thinks everything is a nail! Pm me and let me know the details. 
I don't know much about that record, 
But she has a Purdy voice. I have my parents records and was pawing through them recently and I picked out that very one. How funny to see a pic of it. Tell us more

Old Greenhorn

Well, you might be sorry, but you did ask. :D Maria was in a tough spot when she cut that album. She was newly divorced from Geoff, who she met while in the Jim Kweskin Jug Band and they lived in Woodstock, NY for a time. After the divorce she moved to CA with her little girl and was trying to find a way, on her own to support her and her daughter. She had a lot of musical friends in CA and thought  she could do better there. So she got a lot of help from Friends and took a chance to cut that album. My buddy Bill played on it and some other guys I know. The inclusion of Midnight at the Oasis was a last minute thing. It was written by one of the guys in the studio band and they need a filler tune to complete the album. She thought it was a silly tune, but cute, so she cut it and didn't think much more about it.
 So that was her very first album more than 50 years ago and that one 'silly' tune got her on the map. Last time I spoke with her about 3 years ago, she was just over 50 albums cut to date. one for each year of her solo career. She's an amazing woman, generous, very funny, very warm, and very dedicated to her friends. She is also one of the hardest working women you will ever meet. She has a voice that can just melt me into my shoes. My favorite tune she sings is Richland Women Blues, especially when John Sebastian backs her up on his archtop.
 Sorry, you asked. :D I stopped short of getting into some of the stories I could tell, let's just say I enjoy her a lot and every time I see her is a good time.
-----------------------------------

On that toolbox. Well, that is about as simple as it gets, I'm sure you could make one. I leave them unfished because I figger little kids will want to 'personalize' them with their own paint, stains, or stickers. I know I had every sample of paint I ever touched on my first toolbox. ;D I'd be happy to make you one for nothing, but geez, the shipping is gonna be like 40 bucks for a box that size. Maybe I could make you the parts, ship it flat and you assemble? Shipping is just a killer for this light but larger stuff and I haven't found a way around that yet.

Tom K

Quote from: aigheadish on November 28, 2023, 06:47:55 AM
The biggest stuff that came in the kit is probably 2"x3" or so, it'd be great to have some bigger pieces Tom, let me know and I'll send you some duckets to send me some! I haven't sourced any yet so I have no idea what to expect price wise, other than the 10 dollar box or whatever you can get on Cramazon.
If your up for a drive come on up. I've got a couple basswood trees that need dropped, I'll cut you whatever size you want.

aigheadish

Well, it may be too late for your upcoming show Tom, but I just had the idea of you making those tool boxes in unassembled kits. Maybe packed with the needed cheap Harbor Freight tools to build it (and give the kids a tool collection start!).

I'd imagine the amount of parents or grandparents who would love to get a little one involved with assembling their own first tool box would be pretty high. You'd do all the cuts to make it right, toss some nails/screws in there with a hammer and screwdriver and you are off, I think the ability to upcharge a bit would be good too... Seems like a great Christmas gift for either the kids or the adults.

Birdhouse kits too...

They'd both be something you can standardize, minimal finishing, etc.

Thanks @Tom K tree sized made me think of whittling with a machete and some ninja spins!

Thank You Sponsors!