iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JD 460FEL cylinder rebuild

Started by CCCLLC, July 08, 2022, 04:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCCLLC

Just received my quote to rebuild 2 cylinders on 460FEL. The 2 smaller ones one the bucket tilt. Nothing bent or broken, just internal seals. $340 each.
I knew it was going to be high but forgot how high.

Wlmedley

If they are using OEM seal kits that doesn't sound to bad.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

CCCLLC

Yes, OEM from JD. Had it done 10 years for half that.  But that was 10 years ago. Recently  installed  grapple and this is part of my learning curve. Those two on the tilt are the weak link.

Firewoodjoe

Every week it's something different that goes up. Go buy some r134a. Went up 300%. Then this fuel delivery went down $.80 🤷‍♂️ I'm not complaining but in 3 weeks time that's a lot I'd say. Makes you wonder. 

nativewolf

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on July 08, 2022, 07:23:40 PM
Every week it's something different that goes up. Go buy some r134a. Went up 300%. Then this fuel delivery went down $.80 🤷‍♂️ I'm not complaining but in 3 weeks time that's a lot I'd say. Makes you wonder.
Oil is falling this past couple of weeks and heating oil is down to $3.5X when I checked it this week  (that's an august contract for a lot of heating oil).  
Do you keep a storage tank on site or at your house?  On a big job we're going to do I have though about moving our bulk tank to the site but haven't made up my mind yet.  
Liking Walnut

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: nativewolf on July 09, 2022, 06:25:22 AM
Quote from: Firewoodjoe on July 08, 2022, 07:23:40 PM
Oil is falling this past couple of weeks and heating oil is down to $3.5X when I checked it this week  (that's an august contract for a lot of heating oil).  
Do you keep a storage tank on site or at your house?  On a big job we're going to do I have though about moving our bulk tank to the site but haven't made up my mind yet.  
I have a storage tank at home and transfer tanks in my trucks. Some guys have one taken to the site but the fuel cost is the same and you have the theft risk. 

Don P

How much are the seals, if the metal is in good shape it sounds like a possible sweat equity equation... which has been known to factor in waiting for another seal kit, or I've been known to sheepishly carry in a box of parts, but most of them are not bad.

CCCLLC

Unsure of the OEM parts price. Guessing $50-$60, but like everything else, going up. Surely most of the bill is labor and cost of everything that goes with being in business.  Sure it's a fair price. Just surprised from 10 years ago. Guess I need to get out more. 
  Ten days from drop off to estimate pick up date. That's the worst part. Naturally they had a short work staff. Sign on fence said " join our team-$25 start".

chevytaHOE5674

In true JD fashion there are like 8 serial number splits for different curl cylinders. I'm sure some share the same seal kit but there is at least 3 different ones. Price is 30-60 bucks for the kits I looked up.

I'm sure the green dealer charges more labor than I do and I'm at $100 an hour currently for in shop work. 

So say 340-50 is at 290 for labor. By the time they tear them down, clean them up and reassemble they have 2+ hours into each one. 

EricR

Seems a little steep to me. I just had 2 prentice stabilizer pistons done for a little under $600. And had a 2.5 inch bucket tilt cylinder with a bent rod straightened and repacked for $285. 2-3 day turn around for each

CCCLLC

EricR, that sounds like a great price considering the investment in specialized tools and skillset needed to do it. Was that the "friends & family price?

EricR

No that's full price as far as I know. If they give me a deal they have never made it known.  I live a town over from new bedford Massachusetts- the number one fishing port in the US for the last 20 or so years.  There are a lot of hydraulic shops.  3 of them are within a few hundred feet of each other.  The competition might be keeping prices in check

chevytaHOE5674

If your concerned about price the JD dealer is the last place I would take them to get repaired. Order the seal kits from the JD dealer or online and take them to a small independent shop and I'm sure it'll be cheaper. 

There is a lot of overhead and "pork" to keep the JD sign on the building.

Thank You Sponsors!