iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4 side planing cedar.

Started by customsawyer, August 28, 2022, 07:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

I have a couple thousand bf of cedar to run through the 4 side planer. This will be a first time for me with cedar. Normally don't get enough cedar for this in my area. Just wondering if there is a higher chance of splits and cracks from the side heads. Will it be better going with a slower or faster feed rate? What other problems can come up?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Southside

What I have run through didn't act any different than anything else. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

D6c

Assuming you mean eastern red cedar, the only problem I've had with ERC is if you get a loose knot it can be hard on cutters if it comes out.  I've had them break carbide inserts on a spiral cutter but not on straight knife heads.

Cedarman

We just ran 10,000 square feet of 9/16 x 3 1/2 and 4 3/4 V groove and had minimal amount of split out at edges and unsound knots will blow out.  But 9/16 is fairly thin.  1" lumber rarely a problem and we ran about 1000  3 1/2 x 5 1/2 and had no problems with pulls.
We use insert knives for top and bottom.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Don P

Way back before the turn of the century... I was working in a millwork shop. We did several runs where we took 4/4x5" ERC, split it both ways into 4 thin narrow strips and then ran a micro T&G V groove pattern as closet lining. The strips resembled a beadboard type pattern as far as busyness on the wall when applied. I expected high losses from blowouts but it machined quite well.

customsawyer

Appreciate the replies gentlemen. We are going to find out this morning.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Cedarman

You should have a pretty pink sawdust pile in a few hours.

Don P

That's right.., we would dump the dust truck before a cedar run and some of the guys would bag the shavings for home and friends. We never made more than that volume, but you can sell cedar down to the squeal.

customsawyer

Well I got it ran. Everything went pretty smooth until the last 12 boards. A few of them got hung up in the planer. They all had similar knots that would fall out in chunks and wedge the board in the planer. I would look at a board and think this is the same knot but it shouldn't fall out. Dang if it wouldn't. I didn't have any splitting on the edges from the side heads and the wood came out very nice for our poorer quality  cedar.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Cedarman

Poor quality cedar is cedar with lots of character.  Guy came back one time and wanted cedar with holes.  He painted the walls black before putting up the cedar and the knot holes looked great.  I did my best to satisfy him. 

customsawyer

Cedarman I get that request with pecky cypress. Only have cedar when I have it. I have actually thought about calling you and getting some in for inventory for my store. Just never seem to get enough request for it.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Dewey

Quote from: Cedarman on September 04, 2022, 07:03:25 AM
Poor quality cedar is cedar with lots of character.  Guy came back one time and wanted cedar with holes.  He painted the walls black before putting up the cedar and the knot holes looked great.  I did my best to satisfy him.
Boy I could use some of those customers LOL 

Thank You Sponsors!