iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidders- Site prep and torque converters

Started by orbarratt, October 25, 2022, 12:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orbarratt

I am looking for some info on using a skidder for site prep work for planting pines, pulling a new ground harrow, bedding plow, fire break plows and such. I had franklin 562 skidder about 20 years ago that I pulled a rome new ground harrow. I need to pull the harrow over a clear cut and need something to pull it with.

I had no problem pulling it with my old franklin skidder, so long as I stayed in 1st gear and watched the torque converter temperature. The duty cycle for a machine pulling wood to the ramp is different than a machine that pulls under the same load all day long.
I am looking for something that will hold up under that kind of continuous duty cycle. I see newer skidders with locking torque converters. And some Deere skidders as having Direct drive. I am looking for something under the $30K mark.

Suggestions?
What exactly does "Direct drive" mean for a deere skidder?
Anyone know anything about the Supertrak SK250 site prep tractor?

Firewoodjoe

In that price range I'd suggest a direct drive. That's what you need. It's just a clutch like a truck. But you can bump shift it also. Basically use the clutch just when leaving a stop.  No torque converter. You can get a Deere 648 or 748 in that price range. 

newoodguy78

You might want to talk to member @customsawyer he planted more than a couple pines in his day from what I've gathered 

customsawyer

I've done more than my share of tree planting but I have zero experience with a skidder. My planting was done with a dozer, farm tractors and by hand. Lots of folks are pulling site prep equipment with skidders I'll do some asking around and see what I can learn for you.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

orbarratt

Thank for all the info. I found a Franklin 170a cable skidder with a manual transmission on facebook market place. It has a 453T detroit engine. I am not afraid of a detroit, I have had several over the years.  As I mentioned in my other post, I had a franklin skidder in the past, but it was a 1990's 562, with a powershift transmission.

Anyone have any insight on an old 170a? The guy said the skidder is in good shape for its age. I am waiting on more pics and such before I go look at it.
He wants about 10K for the skidder.

Thank You Sponsors!