iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diggin it. YES I CAN!

Started by Jeff, December 06, 2022, 01:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Hilltop366

We cover the exhaust on ours when not in use to keep the rain out with a plastic bleach container with a hole cut in it but for transport a soft ball or wad of tape with some full wraps of duct tape around the pipe would be better for a long haul.

doc henderson

i think the angle is designed to at least keep straight falling rain out.  cannot be too careful.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

What's the difference if it was a turbo? I can't imagine how road wind could spin up a turbo through the exhaust side.

doc henderson

looks to be about the same height as the cab.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Resonator

If the exhaust is clamped on, I'd suggest just removing it for the trip to keep it from rattling, or catching the wind.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

aigheadish

I used a coffee can with a rope tied around a brick to cover my exhaust when is was outside. Mine points into the wind and if I were roading it somewhere I'd just want to keep weather and bugs and junk out. 

On another note- I just had a guy come out and give me a price to remove, rebuild, and reinstall the two biggest cylinders on my hoe; the one to the boom and the secondary one that goes out to the stick. Anyone paid for that kimd of service? What were you charged? I was surprised at what I wss quoted, but I don't know if it's ridiculous or not. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Hilltop366

Quote from: doc henderson on May 24, 2023, 03:42:32 PM
i think the angle is designed to at least keep straight falling rain out.  cannot be too careful.
Once in a while we get straight falling rain but usually not, then there is snow too.

Quote from: Jeff on May 24, 2023, 04:37:04 PM
What's the difference if it was a turbo? I can't imagine how road wind could spin up a turbo through the exhaust side.

Pretty unlikely but for some it is standard practice to cover it.

Magicman

It appears that your tail pipe is turned toward the tractor.  Mine was and I was getting some fumes, so I turned it outward.

Problem solved.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

It actually points right from the drivers forward point of view

beenthere

Quote from: Jeff on May 24, 2023, 04:37:04 PM
Even if you have some rain on the way UP, starting it to get it off the trailer will quickly take care of any bit of moisture that gets in the engine through the exhaust. You should be good to go. IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

21incher

If you're worried about  water it looks like a big baking potato would plug it nicely.  Just don't  forget to pull it out at the other end  ;D . I saw you got all the leaks taken care of but wondering if you found and fixed the brakes?  Probably going to need a diesel tank for your truck once you get going up there. Have fun. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

doc henderson

around here we can find 300-gallon ag tanks on stands and you can have a smaller tank for you truck to bring it home or have it delivered.  red dye since it is off road work.  or a 100-gallon tank on a pallet and get some forks for the bucket to set it in and take it out.  Do youhave a sawmill to make some lumber to make a pallet?   :D :D

21incher

Around here you will loose your homeowners insurance if you add a permanently installed 300 gallon tank. A couple months back I picked up a cheap plastic 58 gallon tank for that reason and looking for a used  containment pallet to set it on. This is the one I bought.
Switching To Off Road Dyed Diesel In Bulk For My Tractors - YouTube
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

doc henderson

not in Ks for diesel fuel.  I do not know about MI.  i remember in NY the application to own a pistol was a quarter inch thick.  rural area are allowed to take care of themselves.

Southside

Air flow while on a trailer will spin a turbo and since there is no oil being pushed onto the bearings, well it's not a good thing.  Myself, I would grab some duct tape and put a couple of pieces across the opening and then a good wrap around those to keep out the small bird that decides to cross the highway at the wrong time and shoots down the pipe, manages to wiggle through the burnt section of muffler baffle and dies with her head wedged between the open exhaust valve and the seat.  On a good note following this thread you would be familiar with how to address that issue should it happen.  To me the duct tape is cheap insurance.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

21incher

Quote from: doc henderson on May 24, 2023, 10:41:51 PM
not in Ks for diesel fuel.  I do not know about MI.  i remember in NY the application to own a pistol was a quarter inch thick.  rural area are allowed to take care of themselves.
I think all states go by the epa spill rules.  I was told any spill over 55 gallons on or near water or 110 gallons of diesel anywhere else must be reported to the epa and that can cost your  insurance  company a fortune should there be a spill.  Doesn't mater if it's a tank splitting,  machine hitting a tank and damaging it, accident  or just a leak. That's why I stayed under 55 gallons. It's  one of the questions when we changed homeowners insurance along with type of dogs. 
My and my wife's pistol permits were just a 4 page questionnaire and 3 sheets of references with a hundred dollar bill. 4 weeks later we had them. That was after my wife  was a juror on that Brawley trial for over a year and we got threats. Now it's a one year process in NY and we have to renew every couple years. Plus 7 rounds limit in most areas.

doc henderson

you may well be right.  i am in the do not ask do not tell group now.  It was years ago that I checked into it.  I have a 100 gallon on a pallet and a 300 on a small trailer.  I take great care to not waste fuel or contaminate the earth.  the handgun permit in NY was back in 1990s.  i know it can be done, but I was only there for 4 years, did not carry except in my car or when camping.  I had a friend from Ks go through in a semi-truck and got pulled over as his tags were from Ks.  he got arrested as the troopers knew a trucker from Ks would have a gun.  He was honest when asked.  

SwampDonkey

Up my way it is 20 litres and the DOE or the coast guard is suppose to be notified.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I have 6 five gallons cans for diesel. 
I have a 40 hp tractor and I am on it a lot and that will keep me in fuel for a couple weeks easy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

YellowHammer

It's only a spill if it's an uncontrolled release. Most tanks these days have a built in secondary spill apron which is containment in case of a leak, and also companies like Uline sell spill containment trays that will hold the spill which are very effective, as well as is a concrete "pond" or depression.  Even a Walmart Little Mermaid swimming pool would suffice as spill containment.

The most important thing is a good ground rod.  It's diesel fuel, so it's not really an ESD or spark hazard, but it's an easy thing to install.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

firefighter ontheside

@aigheadish I broke both of the curl cylinders on my Kubota a few years ago.  I removed them and delivered to a hydraulics shop.  It was about $650 for them to repair the shafts and replace all of the seals.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Jeff

Meanwhile, while Tammy and I worked the memorial concert all weekend,

Magicman

Well now; YES YOU CAN!  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!