iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new client and Quarry update

Started by teakwood, February 27, 2023, 07:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teakwood

Quote from: mudfarmer on October 01, 2023, 09:24:37 PMWhat are they doing with the 1x1s?

Thanks guys for the kind words, yes i had lots of sleepless night and headaches, the 7 years of agony waiting for the quarry permits were hell, the most dificult thing i did in life. several times i wanted to throw the towel but i was already too deep in the mud, financially speaking. Now it's all good and i'm saving up for retirement.

The 1x1" are used for a rancho, they also bought 20 round logs for the posts, beams, rafters and then the 1x1 get nailed on the rafters 1' apart to receive palm leaves, ether real palm or plastic imitations 

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

doc henderson

Congrats on your success!  I would love to see pics of that roof system if you get a chance someday.  neat.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

teakwood

teakwood

Extended the log deck, the trees are getting bigger and longer. it always bothered me, now i'm happy. pushed some 8' long ironwood post with the excavator till the machine got lift up, it's massive now!

A client wanted to pick his 5m long log order with this small truck, i told him that would be way to dangerous. he finally agreed and we hired a bigger tuck.

Men is it freaking hot this year, the sun is alot stronger than i remembered from passed years, or i'm just getting too old for this work. the problem is i love it.

Bought 3 truckloads more of lumber from the neighbor company, but i don't have any room left. they gave me till the end of the year to move the wood. i don't have a solution yet  ???

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

mudfarmer

Tailgate up to hold in the bottom, poles resting on headache rack, no problem 😅 love that little truck!

Thanks for the link and explanation of the 1x1s, I saw some round wood framing much the same in MX

Looking good as always, but understand the space issue for sure. What are the odds you can sell some of the new wood right out of storage without moving it home? I guess difficult since you are sorting...

nativewolf

Several months ago I was spending your money for you, expanding buildings, decks, and a hydraulic sawmill.  :D Ok, now I see the deck.  You've got a world class dozer and excavator and acres of space.  Get the pad pushed out!  You could use the space, honest.  

I toast your success!
Liking Walnut

realzed

Quote from: mudfarmer on October 13, 2023, 04:59:47 PM

Thanks for the link and explanation of the 1x1s, I saw some round wood framing much the same in MX
What Does Palapa Mean? What are Palapas? - Master Canopies
Yup - tons of them all over Mexico and Cozumel especially..  actually almost every resort (except for the huge marble and limestone 'everything ones') I ever saw or have stayed at on the Yucatan Peninsula - Quintana Roo and Cozumel was full of these - even some of the main (and often huge) resort main buildings and restaurants were constructed thusly.. 

teakwood

Quote from: mudfarmer on October 13, 2023, 04:59:47 PMTailgate up to hold in the bottom, poles resting on headache rack, no problem

We thought of that but the head rack could've broke or bent while driving. Teak is freakin heavy when green

teakwood

Quote from: mudfarmer on October 13, 2023, 04:59:47 PMI guess difficult since you are sorting..

Not only sorting also processing. i plane or mold the lumber so i can charge more money and get more return. It's looking fantastic with this business, bought 8 truckloads of lumber for about 55k and i'm selling little by little. will at least triple or quadruple my investment. a lot better than having the money in the bank.  

teakwood

Quote from: nativewolf on October 13, 2023, 05:23:23 PM
Several months ago I was spending your money for you, expanding buildings, decks, and a hydraulic sawmill.  :D Ok, now I see the deck.  You've got a world class dozer and excavator and acres of space.  Get the pad pushed out!  You could use the space, honest.  

I toast your success!
:D :D, i'm planning on building a big entrance rolling door to cut free access to my house and lumber storage, there are some people who just drive in without any permission. for this i need to expand a concrete wall and make a receiver wall for the door and will probably expand the wall 8m more and then build a roof over it. for more storage area.
But as my plan is to return to Switzerland in 10-15 years i really don't want to invest or build anymore  

nativewolf

Sure sure, you'll move back in 10-15 years and spend winters in CR.  Global timber magnate.  Seriously though I have no idea about the economics of CR today.  20 years ago it seemed robust.  Wouldn't a well thought out light industrial facility have buyers?  Does the quarry have 10 years of life left?  

The one thing I'm sure of is that you need a huge addition to your covered space.  I'm not just spending your money....OK OK I'm spending your money.  But you need more covered space, working in cramped spaces kills productivity and increases risk.  Time is your most precious commodity, health is second or maybe it is the other way around.  Get some more space.
Liking Walnut

teakwood

Quote from: nativewolf on October 14, 2023, 09:03:27 AMSure sure, you'll move back in 10-15 years and spend winters in CR.  Global timber magnate.  Seriously though I have no idea about the economics of CR today.  20 years ago it seemed robust.  Wouldn't a well thought out light industrial facility have buyers?  Does the quarry have 10 years of life left?  

CR is going thru a big change now, we have a super new President and they are fighting corruption, burocracie, the very few powerful families which hadn't to follow any rules, monopoles,  reduce spending,.... very good changes for the country, CR will be strong if this trend continues.

I don't think it will be too hard to sell my businesses, they both profitable and well established. the plan is to just milk the cow for the next 10 years without hurting her :D. then we will see. the lumber business the way i'm managing it now can keep producing with a nice profit for the next 40 years.

The quarry permit is still good for the next 22 years and i have a estimated volume of 1.6M m3, this year we took out 80k m3, not every year will be this good. if the quarry ever runs out of stone i could expand the area of the quarry to new ground with a additional permit, the hard thing is to obtain it in the first place.      

teakwood

Quote from: nativewolf on October 14, 2023, 09:03:27 AMSure sure, you'll move back in 10-15 years and spend winters in CR.

;D Very possible. but we really want to travel more and see other counties. tomorrow we go to Mexico, tulum, playas del carmen, cancun

nativewolf

Enjoy, there is no rewind button.  

Mexico is a great country, very too bad about the narco corruption there.  Have lots of good friends, Mexico has become a big export market for the USA lumber industry.  Softwood construction and hardwoods.  

Liking Walnut

realzed

Quote from: teakwood on October 14, 2023, 04:24:00 PM
Quote from: nativewolf on October 14, 2023, 09:03:27 AMSure sure, you'll move back in 10-15 years and spend winters in CR.

;D Very possible. but we really want to travel more and see other counties. tomorrow we go to Mexico, tulum, playas del carmen, cancun
Tulum is neat and the beach is beautiful, Playa del Carmen with its 5th avenue all night shopping and neat bars is crazy interesting and if you grab the ferry over to San Miguel Cozumel you can rent a jeep or car and go all around the Island in a nice afternoon - the Eastern shore is desolate and beautiful with huge open beaches and it has 'Coconuts' on the Eastern side - an iconic and famous bar and grill.
Cancun is just a large city without much appeal in my opinion, unless you like the hotel zone - a peninsula packed with huge resort hotels ..  
When you could still climb Chichen Itza (rated as one of the Wonders of the New World) it was a great view over the surrounding jungle area as are the ruins of Coba which as far as I know can still be climbed although not as high as the Chichen Itza temple.
If you like Mayan ancient ruins, history, and archeology both are Quintana Roo's most interesting examples besides Tulum..
Quite a long ride between Cancun and Tulum - couple of hours depending on traffic!
Have Fun!

teakwood

Thanks for the info, we have a rental car and will be in tulum for the first 4 days then playa del carmen 3 days then maybe 2 in cancun but i don't have a hotel yet, i don't want to be in this luxury hotel area in cancun, we will see.
definitely will go see some pyramids and temples, the water holes, ... We have lots of beautiful beaches here in CR so not really eager to hang out on the beaches in mexico.
Dang is it cheap there, i'm amazed, 220$ for a big Jeep for 9days, 210$ for a luxury Airbnb for 4 days, 230$ for a 4star hotel in playas del carmen. well it's low season but still. this money would last you maybe 3-4 days in CR

mudfarmer

Definitely hit the ruins and cenotes! Smaller less known for both but the big ones too, 4 days isn't enough haha Try to make a day trip down to Punta Allen, idk if your rental car will make it but a cheap rental scooter will  ;D

realzed

AND... if you like Adventure Parks or the such - there is both Xcaret and Xel-hah both of which are very popular, well advertised, and have lots to see.
The beaches in CR are certainly beautiful especially the black sand ones (and HOT to walk on) that I've been on - but it's hard to compare them to the water temperatures and the beautiful turquoise/blue color of the waters off Riviera Maya..

carpet56238

Handling those heavy beams is no joke! I had a similar experience when working on my vacation home. I even invested in my forestry equipment. It was more practical to buy the equipment second-hand rather than rent it for a long time. 
I got a Harvester, aDozer and some accessories, and I remember using https://www.boomandbucket.com/equipment/forestry-equipment to snag some second-hand stuff. I got lucky with some pretty sweet deals there, and I was impressed by the quality of their products!

teakwood

Ok, quarry is at a standstill and i decided to push the entrance/ wall/ more lumber storage construction project forward. one reason was also that the neighbor teakcompany, that i bought all the lumber from, gave me till 15th march to haul all my lumber from their facilities. still got like 3 truckloads sitting there.
Some pics of the build 
IMG_20240120_104246.jpgIMG_20240123_153708.jpgIMG_20240124_094432.jpgIMG_20240125_171059.jpg

teakwood

IMG_20240127_072305.jpg
Hard work without a crane, all manual filling with small buckets
IMG_20240127_072506.jpgIMG_20240127_084203.jpgIMG_20240129_171733.jpg

teakwood

teakwood

Did great progress this week. only me with 2 helpers
IMG_20240201_081012.jpgIMG_20240201_170149.jpgIMG_20240201_170450.jpgIMG_20240201_171518.jpg

Ljohnsaw

Hey, I see your excavator back there. Rent or buy one of those concrete hopper things they use with cranes. Make a big batch, fill it up and dump in your forms. That would make things go so much faster!

You could just use the bucket if you don't wait too long to clean it. Just make a long plywood funnel on top of the forms.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!