iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cheese making question re: UHT milk

Started by joe_indi, March 05, 2023, 11:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe_indi

I know that UHT milk is not suitable for making cheeses that use rennet, and cultures because the bacteria is not present and proteins have been modified.
But , UHT is what is freely available, fresh milk is limited in supply here. 
So, i was wondering, would it be possible to rejuvenate the UHT milk by adding some fresh milk and allowing the bacteria this added to multiply.
I got this bright idea just now and hope to risk a liter of UHT milk and 100ml of fresh milk tomorrow.
Any suggestions on this would be welcome because home  cheese making is not something we do in India commonly
Joe

Southside

My gut tells me it won't work. The issue with UHT milk is that the protein has been fractured in the milk, happens at 195F. 

If you try it let us know how it turns out. 

Are there any farms that do something along the lines of a herd share where you buy part of the cows so legally you can obtain raw milk? That's what we do. The farm lobbies hate us, but our customers pay the bill so I don't care. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Don P

Interesting, is that the same as the "protein break" that happens when boiling the mash in beer making? Boil until you see the protein coagulate and drop out of solution, and the mash clears.

doc henderson

we have a local hobby farm and you can still get unpasteurized milk.  they have a room.  you set up an account or put cash in a jar.  walk in and help yourself on the honor system.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

I don't know Don, never made beer. When making yogurt the secret is to bring the milk over 195F to break the protein chain which allows the culture more surface area to adhere to and make yogurt with, thicker, creamier as a result.

We have a number of lactose intolerant customers who drink our raw milk with no issues so my theory is that UHT has a lot to do with the problems some folks have with consuming dairy.

Kansas legalized the direct sale of raw milk last year, don't have to fill out 20 sheets of legal forms for folks to get it. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

joe_indi

I liter of UHT + 250 ml of fresh milk mixed this morning. Left at room temperature for 2 hours ( 33C in the house)
Mixed in both thermophilic and mesmophillic cultures ( not an overkill, trying to make butterkase)
It's resting in the refrigerator. Hope to continue at a more reasonable room temperature, probably in the evening
Fingers crossed

twar

Quote from: Don P on March 05, 2023, 01:02:11 PMis that the same as the "protein break" that happens when boiling the mash in beer making?

Yes, very similar. In proteins, it's all about structure. Proteins are chains of amino acids, and these chains fold and tangle and fold again. It's this folding and tangling that determines how a protein functions. Heat destroys this structure and thereby destroys the protein, though the chemical composition may remain the same. Next time you fry an egg, watch the proteins in the white unfold as they heat up and go from clear to white.

Temperature and proteins in cheese and beer making are important because the ezymes at work in both processes are proteins. Too much heat unfolds (de-natures) the proteins and their function is lost. In beer making, when you boil the wort, the enzymes have already done their thing in the mash and you want them fall out so your beer is clear.

(And who said I would never have any use for that biochemistry class 40 years ago :P?)

joe_indi

Quote from: joe_indi on March 06, 2023, 01:00:57 AM
I liter of UHT + 250 ml of fresh milk 

Correction: it was 1/2 liter of UHT+ 250 ml of fresh milk,ba tablespoon of fresh curds/yoghurt

joe_indi

This was how it looked when I cut the coagulant after stirring in the rennet 

The curds are a bit soft  but holding shape 

I had this mold that is used to make Paneer ( Indian cottage cheese) so I did the first pressing with just weights using this mold

After 2 hours i moved it into another mold for the final pressing. This press gives a lot more pressure. It's on top of a dish of water, which is on a mini stove to keep the cheese slightly warm overnight 

If i get 75-80 grams of cheese i would be very happy 

joe_indi

Southside

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

beenthere

joe_indi
Looking like cheese, and also hope it turns out well for you. Might just beat getting your own cow or goat. Thanks for bringing us along on your venture. 

If it looks like cheese, acts like cheese, tastes like cheese.. then it must be cheese. Time will tell. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

joe_indi

Disaster this morning 😔
No, it was not the cheese, it was a major goofup on my part.
Since I couldn't locate my cheese cloth last night I made an unforgivable blunder. I used mutton cloth.
Cheese cloth does not stretch, but mutton cloth stretches, like a ladies stocking.
Under the pressure of my cheese press the cheese forced itself through the weave and there was no way I could seperate the cloth from the cheese.
Finally I had to scrape the cheese off both sides of the mutton cloth.
Located the cheese cloth and i have the cheese back in the press over warm water, hoping that the cheese will stay as one block.
I didn't have the heart to take a picture, but the color has changed from  cream to a nice buttery yellow overnight.
Fingers crossed and praying that it comes out ok

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Southside

Well, not being a wise guy but would the first batch make some sort of soft cheese spread?  Might be onto something. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

joe_indi

Quote from: Southside on March 06, 2023, 10:41:03 PM
Well, not being a wise guy but would the first batch make some sort of soft cheese spread?  Might be onto something.
Already in my mind now that you mentioned it ☺
Thank you for the suggestion 

joe_indi

I think it survived the disaster.👍
Even with the nearly 20% lost in the mutton cloth disaster, it weighs 100 grams!

Really good for little less than a liter of milk that I started with. 10% is considered a good yield, anything beyond is very good 
Next step is resting in brine for a couple of hours then maturing.
Well, UHT can be used maybe the inoculation works

Thank You Sponsors!