iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawdust…. Breeding ground for mosquitoes!

Started by Stevenjohn21, March 05, 2023, 09:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevenjohn21

My mill is under a 30x30 open on all sides carport and I have it setup so the saw dust shoots outside. When it rains the sawdust inevitably gets wet and with the weather warming up I've noticed a huge amount of mosquitoes recently. I'm sure I'm not the only one that gets attacked by these pests while milling so what do you do to combat these tiny vampires? 

WV Sawmiller

SJ21,

Do you have standing water in your sawdust? The mossies may be hiding in it but I don't see how they can be laying eggs in it unless there is standing water as IIRC the larva have to be in the water even though they apparently surface to breathe which is why you see them surfacing frequently.

Mosquito Life Cycle | US EPA
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

Highly doubt the sawdust is the mosquito source.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SawyerTed

They may be congregating there for warmth or CO2 or something.

A few drops of mineral oil on standing water will kill (by suffocation) the larvae and keep more from being laid. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

cutterboy

Mosquitoes do not lay eggs in sawdust. They need still water for that.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!