iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

planer/moulder tongue and groove

Started by Vest, March 26, 2023, 06:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vest

So i all most got done setting up my 5 sidede moulder might be a week before the electric is done. But anyhow i got a guy walking in today wanting some tongue and groove floorboard cut in 40mm spruse. I dont got any dry boards in stock so how long would i Need to waite before i can run green lumber through the machine with a good end result.. 

Don P

Hi Vest, welcome to the forum. The short answer is when it is down around 8-10% on the backside of a kiln. Getting it through the machine is not the same as a good end result. You can feed it through at around 20% but your ears will be burning in short order. Wood needs to be close to final moisture content before machining finish goods, it works better if it is a tad drier than it'll see in service.

beenthere

Welcome from here too. 

Would like to see some pics of your 5 head moulder. Have you set one up before ?

Put your pics in your gallery first, and then link to them when posting. Directions how are in the home index down near the bottom end. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Crossroads

Curious to hear more about your machine. Definitely don't want to run wet material because it will dry and shrink leaving gaps. If it's for personal use and practice, put tar paper on the wall and cover with the wet t&g. When it shrinks and leaves gaps they look like shadows. Welcome to the forum 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Vest

Sadly that was what i was thinking to:/ the power is just so expensive her in Europe at the moment that i cant justifie turning on the small kiln i got...

I havet worked with a moulder before.so i will post some pictures. Luckily the guy who sold it to me is gonna help set it up the first time.
I plan on making a lot of decking but i will have to try som T&G for my self just to see how it drys:) 

Vest

Don P

That energy cost has to be a straight pass through to the customer. It'll help with their patience while waiting for it to air dry down below 20% for only the price of time before finishing it in the kiln :).

With the name Vest, I assumed you were from the dairy 2 counties over. Where in Europe are you?

Vest

I am from Denmark 

I run a small kiln with a logosol WDU but i plan on rebuilding  it an connect it to my wood burner so i can heat it with offcuts and slabs:) 

Thank You Sponsors!