iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SketchUp

Started by John S, March 26, 2023, 12:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

What version of SketchUp should I download for a Timber Frame structure?
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Don P

I've got 2016 on one computer and 2017 on the other I haven't really looked since. I'm also not a very advanced user, its easier to erase than a pencil is about my level  :D.

ShimodaLife

"2017 Make" is the best free version, I believe. It's a stand-alone app that doesn't live in the cloud, thus never asks you for updates or limits your abilities.
JT
Completed my Timber Frame Tiny House as practice for the soon-to-be-started TF Real House. Tracking all on my Shimoda Life Youtube channel.

John S

Thank you. Apparently Sketch Up no longer supports the 2017 Make and warns against downloading from other sites.  I don't think there are any free versions.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

John S

Correction, there is a version called Sketch Up Free which I am looking into.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

ShimodaLife

Quote from: John S on March 29, 2023, 07:18:45 AM
Thank you. Apparently Sketch Up no longer supports the 2017 Make and warns against downloading from other sites.  I don't think there are any free versions.
Ignore them and download from other sites.  8)
Completed my Timber Frame Tiny House as practice for the soon-to-be-started TF Real House. Tracking all on my Shimoda Life Youtube channel.

flyingparks

I believe any version will work. I actually just bought the recent version because I need to generate construction documents. There's a learning curve but it has served me well and the YouTube tutorials are incredibly helpful.

Don P

I actually saved sketchup 8 on a stick here somewhere and it does all I need to do. The graphics card on my old desktop here could only handle up to '16, the new desktop got '17 and I've never upgraded. I do carpenter level (I need a scaled graphic to pull some lengths and angles cause I slept thru that day of trig), not draftsman level sketches.  I've downloaded the TF rubies and some truss ones but just never got round to using them. Are any of you using it at that level?

flyingparks

Which level? I certainly use it for what you are describing...finding angles, lengths, joinery design, material takeoffs and such. But I have only recently begun drafting which in my opinion takes some patience. I am starting to get the hang of it. I used a ruby which allows me to generate cut sheets for timbers which is a life saver. Some of the things people come up with on sketchup are incredible.

Don P

It's warming up, next winter I'll lift my knuckles and try to learn more  :D

Mainecoast

I still like a pencil and ruler..but I need to design a frame for a client now..and I'm thinking I'll just get someone to draft it digitally..if I wanted to be a screen jockey there's better ways to get paid to stare at one all day. Also I think it ruins your minds eye! 

Don P

Hip wader time  :D

Ljohnsaw

I used SketchUp 8 IIRC to design my cabin. I was using the free version but had to buy so I could make the plan drawings. It took some doing but got TF rubies to work most of the time when doing timber joints. Comes down to having your snap-to tolerances set correctly.

When I bought it, they came out with a new version less than a month later and wouldn't upgrade me for free. That really *pithed me off. So I'll probably never upgrade.

I used layers extensively. Probably 20 on my cabin. Generating the shop drawings, fantastic! The only problem with my cabin plans was they were just a little bit to big to fit on 11 x 17 at an appropriate scale. I had to go to 12 x 18. Would have cost a lot at Kinko's but got an old coworker to print for free at my old job!

I've recently had to draw up some sketches for clients to estimate materials and get their buy-in. I can generate those by really quickly.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

LarryG

I have the Sketchup 17 and I have been trying to save pictures from it and not having very good luck. Able to print okay. If someone now's how please enlighten me. 
Woodland Mills 126
Yanmar 424 Tractor

Don P

File>Export>2d Graphic  :)

Don P

I probably use groups the most, basically with every stick I'll make it a group, if it is repetitious I'll make it a component so any changes will change them all.

This is something I've been doodling with. I just clicked "select all" to highlight the groups. The truss assemblies are a group, each post (I only drew one and copied and then moved the rest, plates and ridge are groups as well. The program then recognizes that part as its own thing and there are fewer clashes between lines as it gets more complex.

I would have been better off converting the truss assembly to a component before copying and repeating it. The ridge change (remember Jim's ridge pic a week or two ago) would mean a redraw of a fair amount that, if it were a component modifying that first truss modifies them all, where in a group each copy is its own thing. If you look at the first 2 common rafter couples at the ridge, I manually modified them to close at the ridge vs butting into it further along the raised ridge in the drawing. I had to right click and edit each group of lines individually.

ballen

Hi all
It's been a while since I finished my TF outhouse.  I used Sketchup with TF rubies and the project turned out great!
However, that was several years and computers ago. Now, I am starting on a small cabin.
I have Sketchup 17 but am having trouble finding TF Rubies again.  Can someone please point me to a good download source?
Thanks.

melezefarmer

ballen

Quote from: melezefarmer on December 15, 2023, 08:23:02 AM
TF rubies' GitHub page:

https://github.com/clarkbremer/TFRubies

Thanks!  Wow, it's been longer than I thought.  I've completey forgotten how to install the software.  Are there instructions anywhere?  I'm not even sure which of the packages at github I should use. 
Thanks

melezefarmer

I took the following instructions from the tfguild.net site.

� Download the file tfrubies.rbz and save it somewhere on your computer, like your desktop.

� In Sketchup, from the main menu, select Window | Preferences. (Sketchup | Preferences on a Mac)

� Choose Extensions from the menu on the left.

� Press the Install Extension button.

� Browse to the file tfrubies.rbz that you downloaded in the first step.

� Answer �yes� to all the warnings.

� Restart Sketchup.

ballen

Thanks @melezefarmer!
I have since found a pretty decent Youtube tutorial series here: Timber Frame Design using SketchUp Part 1: Downloading SketchUp Make and Extensions - YouTube
I also found my copy of the Guilds book on using Sketchup so I am all set.
I wish Clarks example files were still available so I don't have to create all my own compnents But it will be a good way to confirm the details of my design.

Thank You Sponsors!