iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

UTV?

Started by wbrent, April 15, 2023, 06:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Guy

Quote from: wbrent on April 15, 2023, 06:21:08 AM
Probably been discussed many times but here we go again. Anyone done the research or had personal experience using a UTV in a woodlot. Note. I am not wanting to use it to haul logs per se. I have a tractor for that. Mainly just to lug stuff back and forth to and from the woodlot. Occasionally hooking up a small trailer of short logs. Seems like a hundred to chose from. What to avoid. Size wise I'm looking for something on the smaller size. 700cc or less. What have you all liked and disliked?  Thanks.
You may have already pulled the trigger on your purchase but thought I would add my 2 cents to the conversation. I was in the same situation several months ago and narrowed my choices down to JD Gator and Kawasaki Mule. Original 1st preference was the Gator but whatever it was had to be preowned as I wasn't going to shell out for new one. After a lot of looking and tire kicking I settled on a 2022 4010 Kawasaki Mule with 135 hous on the clock. It checked the boxes of: fairly large bed, 4WD, differential lock, high and low range, low hours, windshield and bench seating. My needs are for a farm/ranch vehicle and speed is a non issue. I don't need to or want to go fast anyway. It works particularly well for firewood work and hauls all of the necessary tools and then some. I paid more than I had wanted to even used but all lower priced machines I looked at had been "rode hard and put up wet". I can echo the other's comments on usefulness and wish that I had purchased one 20 years ago. I would be surprised if this unit ever sees one time use on pavement. Good luck with your search.

Edit: The other determining factor was parts availability and the Gator and Kawasaki checked off that box too.

wbrent

Ended up with a 2021 Kawasaki Mule. So far I think it will serve my purposes perfectly. 

upnut

Congrats! Post a pic when you get a chance, please....

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

SwampDonkey

You've probably got lots lined up for work with that new buggy. ;D

Was just changing front drive and rear transmission fluid this morning, but before I change the rear transmission oil I need another 1/4 quart to be able to do the job. So be next weekend before the job is done. These Rangers need those oils changed every 100 hr or 1000 miles according to the book.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

trapper

looked at a 2019 Sidekick 850 today  184 hours 700 miles with winch heavy duty lug tires   front bumper  $11000 dont know of any other extras.  anything to watch for  Does price sound reasonable?  Looks in very good shape.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Ed

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 06, 2023, 10:16:35 AM
You've probably got lots lined up for work with that new buggy. ;D

Was just changing front drive and rear transmission fluid this morning, but before I change the rear transmission oil I need another 1/4 quart to be able to do the job. So be next weekend before the job is done. These Rangers need those oils changed every 100 hr or 1000 miles according to the book.
Just remember those intervals are based on extreme use. For people that beat the crap out of their machines and submerge them on a regular basis.
Ed

SwampDonkey

Just following the Polaris maintenance schedule. Doesn't hurt since I travel over uneven terrain a lot porting firewood. Not a fast ride, just a methodical one. :D They do say in brackets (1600 miles), I assume not used as hard. I'll stick with the 1000 mile mark. Mines never drove in creeks or mud holes.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ehp

My little son , ya the 13 year old thats now 6 ft 4 inches tall wants a bigger 4 wheeler but really wants a new side by side so been looking around but the prices are quite wild , About $40 grand once you add all the taxes and other stuff . We will see if we get something but got to buy something for him, he has a polaris 450 HO but we went and looked at canam commander, polaris general and yamaha Rmax 

21incher

Quote from: trapper on May 29, 2023, 12:23:40 AM
looked at a 2019 Sidekick 850 today  184 hours 700 miles with winch heavy duty lug tires   front bumper  $11000 dont know of any other extras.  anything to watch for  Does price sound reasonable?  Looks in very good shape.
I have a 2022 and love mine. Only have about 100 miles around the yard on it. The biggest problem that I heard of with the early ones was the gas pedal linkage was very touchy making them jumpy at takeoff. I think a recall fixed that. Take it for a ride and see how it drives and see if there are maintenance records that used Kubota parts.  Only downside is parts and accessories are quite expensive from Kubota ad there isn't much aftermarket for them. Most come with a bumper but there was a very cheap model that didn't come with a bumper, tilt steering wheel, glove box door, and several other items. $10,500 was what the worksite model withthe bumper and add-ons cost new in 19 with rebates but now they have jumped over 15k new. I definitely would buy mine again.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

I paid half that price for a Ranger 570 in 2020. A put tires, winch, side rockers, rear bumper, steal roof and windshield, and front brush guard on mine. If you pay $40,000 it better be road legal. :D

barbender

Ed, you said you thought I had money like Barge, all I know is there's no money in the kitty for a $40K sxs for me😁
Too many irons in the fire

21incher

Quote from: barbender on May 31, 2023, 07:44:05 AM
Ed, you said you thought I had money like Barge, all I know is there's no money in the kitty for a $40K sxs for me😁
That's the donkey making up numbers read my post.  Maybe $13,500 converted to Canadian money with inflation  ;D .   For 40k I got a real Ranger.  My 22 Ford Ranger. That's only One load of logs for you  8).
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

Ed said $40,000 ,  I just retyped what he said. You need to look back a couple posts. ;D Those are for money men, and that ain't me. But what I do have is paid for free and clear. :D

ehp

Everything I have is on the payment plan, one payment  8), sorry I was brought up with if I cannot pay for it then I do not need it . One of my friends bought a northstar crew fully loader with snow plow  $68,000 for that thing . Have to see but I'm not liking these numbers that my kid does so he could be driving a new bigger 4 wheeler . Now if I honestly had Barbender coin I would buy each of us in my family one of the nice side by sides so we could drive alone and not have to listen to the others but sadly that is not the case here 

barbender

Haha the closest I have to a side by side is a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee😁
Too many irons in the fire

Dom

I ended buying a cheap Arctic Cat Prowler 500. Just need it to move people around with small tools. When shopping it was easy to get envious for the larger gear. Had to do the ol' need vs want analysis.  :D

ehp

I got to buy him something to drive , Sold the polaris 450 HO so now onto bigger and faster bikes that cost alot more money , Just got home tonight from taking the 11 year old to motocross training , He goes for 2 hours at least per week and he asked me tonight how we can afford for him to do this and I just told him the truth , this stuff is the reason I get up and leave by 6 or so and most night are not back home by 6 or 7 and lots of weeks its 7 days a week , we are not rich but were doing ok

Walnut Beast

Well said! He will remember that later in life. 

For what it's worth on the UTV six seaters. When I went riding around on a farm yesterday the listing agent had a Can-Am full cab unit with air conditioning we were riding around in and while it was very luxurious and the air conditioning worked great at 90 he said when he can afford it down the road he will go back to the Polaris. He said the Polaris just had more power and could flat out go through the mud and rugged terrain better between the two six seaters. 

Mooseherder

I've been in the market looking but not ordering for a couple of years.  The polaris dealer has 3 machines due to come in June.  I'm supposed to get the first call on a six seater that is supposed to be first delivered.  If Suzuki made a side by side I'd buy one because of proven service from their atvs we have.  I talked with the guy who services and fixes my machines and he said that he does not like working on Can ams. His recommendation was JD green sxs or Honda.  I don't want to deal with one and the Honda doesn't have enclosed cab.  And the rops look heinous.   His father, who is also a retired mechanic, has over 70 thousand miles on a Honda side x side.

customsawyer

I have a Polaris and a CanAm SxS. They both do what I have asked them to do. The polaris is a '17 model and the CanAm is '22. There's things I like and dislike about both of them.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ehp

I'm going to wait a few more weeks to see what deals if any come this way , Boy has a polaris general all picked out but I told him that's $40 grand plus once all the taxes are in , He just says so , I told him I am not Barge or Barbender so its a lot to me . That is more than I really want to spend on a toy 

stavebuyer

Buying a teen a Polaris General is wrong on so many levels. Even if you have major lottery winnings in your checking account. 

chep

Yes I agree. Here's a pedal bike kid. Go get em. Find a job you can ride it to. Save up for his own polaris someday

beenthere

Boy wants it, let him know how to go get it  :snowball:
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

711ac

Quote from: beenthere on June 06, 2023, 08:36:42 PM
Boy wants it, let him know how to go get it  :snowball:
He'll thank you in 15-20 years and it'll serve him well for the rest of his life. 👍

Thank You Sponsors!