iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

At what point does a nut stop contributing to the seedling?

Started by IndiLina, April 29, 2023, 05:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndiLina

I was transplanting a black walnut seedling I had grown from seed, and when positioning it, I inadvertently popped off the 'nut' from the seedling. At what point does the nut stop providing to the growth of the seedling? Will it harm a seedling at this stage (pictured below) if the nut is detached? 
Not that this seedling is super valuable or anything, but this made me curious. 

Thanks in advance. 

Tracts in So. Indiana, Nor. NC, SW Virginia

Ianab

Not an expert, but at that stage I'd say the roots and leaves are well established, and the seedling doesn't need the nut any more. The nutrients in the nut are used to form the initial stem, leaves and roots. Once those are formed and working the nut's job is done, and it's possible it fell off because it was due to detach. 

It wouldn't be a black and white cut-off either, at some point loosing the nut would only inconvenience the seedling, it might still make it, but be smaller and slower getting established
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ljohnsaw

Doesn't loosing the nut early make it sterile? 😆

Somebody had to say it.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!