iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Plugged up ear...... again.

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 02, 2023, 03:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Well it seems for the last 2 winters I have been having a problem with my left ear. It just plugs up. In previous years it hits around the dead of winter and there is usually a little progressive warning. I attribute it to working in the weather, using ear plugs, and possibly the smoke from the woodstove. I have always had sinus problems since a young age and live with a constant post nasal drip everyday of my adult life. That's where my cough comes from, not smoking. Junk falling down the back of my throat all the time does it. It's a regional thing here in the Hudson Valley for a lot of folks.

Anyway, yesterday was a normal day and I got a lot done and hit the sack around 10:45. I was awakened at 1am by excruciating pain in my left ear as if somebody had forced in a bunch of thick clay and the ear wanted to explode. All kinds of snapping and gurgling noises in there but the pressure, above all, was nearly unbearable. I finally got up and the wife was up reading, so I got her to put some ear drops in the ear. Slowly that helped a little and I tried the bed again at 2am. Flipping sides from time to time and eventually that pain subsided to a dull roar rather than raging agony. Seems like I peed a lot more than normal last night but I slept until 11:45 this morning when our lawn was getting mowed. I  haven't done that in years, so I know I am 'sick'. Needless to say, I feel lousy and can hear my heartbeat throbbing in my ear, not quite as bad as it has in the past though.
 I have no idea what brings this on, anybody have a clue? I did have a VERY slight runny nose a few days ago that lasted less than an hour, that was my only warning.
 I know the 'at home treatments' because the folks here have shared that with me in past years, and we just got some new peroxide this morning which I will use in a short while. Just trying to figure out how I might prevent this because it takes months to clear and I can't wear ear plugs for the duration. It doesn't help my already minimal energy levels either.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

I don't know how well those ear cleaning kits work that you pour a solution in then it rinses out into a cup or catch basin. I have had mine stop up so bad I had to get the doctor to rinse it out and the system he used looked pretty similar to the ones on TV. I know I get a heavy wax build up in there. (Don't tell the doctor but I still use Q-tips to get most of it out.) I wear ear muffs all the time instead of ear plugs and I think that helps too.

Good luck.

What?

I said "Good Luck with it." ::) ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sprucebunny

I have a similar thing happen when I get a cold. I was told ( 40 years ago....) that I was allergic to the antibodies that my body produced to fight a cold. (They didn't distinguish between rhinovirus or coronavirus).

My right ear is especially sensitive and has filled up so fast the ear drum ruptures. Not fun.

Once my ears fill up, I am about half deaf and my voice is too loud for about a year and then it's back to the sinus gurgling etc. It has been so bad that I had no balance.

Try taking an antihistimine for a couple of days and see if it gets better. I end up taking decongestants and the antihistimine continuously if I want it to calm down but I detest the drugs  and often just suffer.

I suggest earmuffs rather than plugs.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Old Greenhorn

SB you remind me of a (questionably) funny story. About ten years ago we were doing our routine annual interior Firefighter physicals, which we did as a group for the whole department. It's actually pretty thorough considering. They do vision, SCBA mask seal and suitability, EKG, lung capacity, and a bunch of other stuff I forget. Last station is a one on one with a Doc or PA for a physical exam. He or she is doing these one after the other for 30 or more people and it goes pretty quick and it mostly routine. So she (in this case a PA) is doing the exam while also running through all the screening questions. She's checking my mouth, nose, listening to my heart and lungs, then she checks my right ear while still rattling off questions. She comes around and checks my right ear and reels back in horror and says "HOLY CRAP! What happened here?!" Well I explained I was just recovering from my annual ear infection whish was particularly rough that year. She told me the ear drum had punctured but was recovering nicely apparently and gave me short list of things to keep an eye on.  Her reaction was quite funny though. She said "MAN! it's ugly in there!"
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

sprucebunny

They used to put 'pressure equalization' tubes in my eardrums. Those fall out after a couple of years. Think I have a permanent hole, now.

I try to warn Dr. types that are going there.

Years ago I knew a girl that thought everyone had "winter ears and summer ears". Nowadays, if it happens, it lasts more like a year. 
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

thecfarm

I had a lot of ear infections growing up. 
Now they put tubes in the ears at a young age. 
Then they said, he'll out grow it.  ???  
I finally did at about 14.
I think a ear doctor would help you, if the pain is that bad.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scsmith42

I had that problem about 5 years or so back.  Turns out some sawdust had gotten stuck up in one ear and then gotten waxed in.

My Dr. Advised me to buy an over-the-counter ear cleaning kit from my pharmacist.  It's pretty basic, - some cleaning solution and a bulb with a small nozzle coming out.  You put the cleaning solution in your ear - lay on your side for a while to allow it to penetrate, and then fill the bulb with warm water and use it to flush out the ear.

Works like a champ!  If you want me to, I'll check the box and let you know the brand and product name.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Don P

If the pressure is from the inside I've had good luck with a neti pot and saline solution. I popped one as a kid and doctors still comment on it. I guess the scar never goes away

Thank You Sponsors!