iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making it through another year, '23-'24

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 17, 2023, 09:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

My list is in "Notes" on my phone. Seems like I can lose a pad of paper but my phone stays with me.  Makes playing hooky harder I suppose.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Peter Drouin

I have a bunch of stuff on a list that I have to do before winter gets here.
Dark by 630 now. After making lumber all day then come in to make supper I'm done.
Last Monday I took the day off and went on a Hot Rod ride. :D
Nothing got done except the smile on my face. 70° with sun.
This Monday I'm going to the fair  The saw mill will wate. :D I have days like that where I come first. ;)
With Ann gone, I find happiness where I can.  
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Old Greenhorn

OH, I am a 'list guy' too. Back when I was working and juggling many projects and problems I made it a habit to take 3-5 minutes before I left work each day to make a list for the following day so I had time to think it through overnight and could hit the ground running in the morning. As stated previously, often that list would get blown out of the water and it was a pretty unusual day when I completed the list by the end of that day, but the list was a guide and a goal. I had about half, or more of a 100 person shop I was responsible to keep running and moving along. It's a lot of moving parts and projects.
-----------------------------
These days I have lists in various places. Each has a specific purpose. For instance I have one stapled to the shop wall which I made 4 years ago and lists the things I need to do to get the shop facility they way I wanted it. That list is not near done and I should read it again. Then I have a 'supplies' list on a whiteboard. Anytime I use something and see it is getting low, I put it on the list, 2 cycle oil, 600 grit sandpaper, whatever. Then when I go out, I don't forget anything. It saves a lot of steps. I have lists for quick tasks or chores, lists for things that have due dates, lists for things that are just ideas I should try. When I need something to fill in a time slot I check the lists.
 Even if I play hooky, when I return, the list is still there. I prefer paper or white board lists because my eyes come across them and they serve as a reminder.

But today I am going to get to work on that chimney for sure. 

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Wlmedley

Finally got to mark one project of my list of things to do before winter and I'm pretty happy about it.Bought the paint to paint my barn several weeks ago.One less thing  :laugh:

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

Old Greenhorn

Love the Barn Bill, it looks great and that barn quilt really stands out nicely!

Well I got the chimney done. It was probably the fastest time I have done it in so far, just two hours or so to do a right proper job. First time I have not had to replace any parts, I attribute that to the new stove which burns much better and it more 'right sized' to the shop. In fact I was so happy that I finally got around to calling the fella that owns the company that built the stove to tell him how happy I was with the stove and to share a little operating tip I figured out last winter. He was pleased for the call and especially for the tip. He said they have been making and selling those stoves for 40 years and nobody ever figured out what I had learned and he would pass that on to new buyers and maybe modify their design a tad. Anyway it was a nice chat and he was pleased for the call. I'm glad I am good to go for another season and that is done with only the expense of a little chimney caulk. Cooler weather is headed in directly. 
 The weather service has spectacularly continued their 3 weeks of busted forecasts today. It was supposed to be a rain out from about noon on today and we got nary a drop that hit the ground. The ground was wetted before dawn, then nothing all day but solid overcast. Actually a very nice day with dry air. Tomorrow they are 'sure' we will have a 100% chance of rain through all daylight hours. Let's see how that goes. :D
 Pat has a show tomorrow, I took a pass on getting an outdoor booth because of the weather. She is inside. No idea what I am doing tomorrow but I might get started on a commission job that is waiting.
 Sunday we are heading up to VT. The gal who bought part of my cousin's property that was their old maple candy factory and warehouse is turning it into an art gallery and the grand opening gala is Saturday evening and the first showing day is Sunday. We like her a lot and wanted to attend and show support for a small art gallery in the middle of nowhere pretty much. Plus, it's our normal weekend for our annual visit anyway. I also want to get in one more visit to my favorite flea market/craft show/famers market before their season closes. I really want to do this show someday if I ever get a trailer to make it do-able. I plan to stop in and visit their office this time and get an understanding of how they do the sales tax thing, since it's in another state.
 And tomorrow's another one....
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Nebraska

An art gallery might not be a bad spot to have a waterfall bench or a nifty bar top on display?? Even if it's in Vermont....

Old Greenhorn

Well, this is going to be a long post no doubt, so either grab a glass, mug, can, or jug of whatever you drink, or bookmark it for when you are having trouble sleeping, or just skip over it. ;D
We had our annual visit to my cousin's in VT this weekend although I think we've been there 3 or 4 times this year prior. But we hate to miss this weekend, it's a tradition and we like to compare the weather from year to year. It's been hot, snowy, cold, rainy, and beautiful in years past. This one went from beautiful to cold and damp. Pretty typical. On our way in we hit the flea market in town and I was a good boy and only bought a draw knife I found for $25. which is better than the $50 the same guy was asking back in July. It's an old one with a nice clean blade and solid handle sets. I queried some vendors about how the show was going (Saturday was a rainout, nobody even set up) and just tried to get a feel for doing this market. It's on my list, even with the 2.5 hour haul distance.
 We got to my cousin's house and I was distressed to see orange flagging tape tied around 4 of his biggest maples in front of the house. The largest is over 48" DBH. He told me they finally had to come down because of the threat to the house. They are all well over 100 years old. He's 73 and he played inside one as a little kid (big rot hole). It's a dang shame. Those are my most favorite trees anywhere. He had to take a loan to hire in a crane and they will have to have the power and phone lines taken down. This was probably my last time to see them. Such a shame.

All 4 of those trees are coming out.

We walked across the road to opening day at the Gallery (The 1910 Building, Contemporary Art ) and enjoyed a private tour. Most of the artists came for the grand opening cocktail buffet the evening before, but we got a private tour. Very nicely curated and arranged. Not exactly in my style, but I can very much appreciate the work and skill. I learned some things about how she makes some of her pieces. No, I did not ask about getting something in there, it's way too soon for that. But maybe someday. The owner, Michele is a sweet gal of my age (Actually, she is 3 months older than me) and over the past several years we have all become friends.
 The other big thing for the weekend was my Cousin Bob and his house. Bob is my fist cousin and he is 93 and has dementia but is a happy friendly guy still. He is living with his daughter (Melinda) and her husband (Bill) who are the cousins we visit. His daughter is just a few years younger than I. My wife and I have become close with them over many decades now and it's why we visit every year, we have fun together. You may also recall I went a cousin's funeral in VT last April and the Service this July, that was Bob's son, my Cousin David who I was also close to. Anyway, the time has come to clean out Bob's house and sell it so he has funds for his medical needs, etc. This is bittersweet for me, and not easy on Melinda and Bill who are carrying the bulk of the work burden. Bob built that house in about 1957 and part of his parents farm. His parents bought that farm in 1940 and the mountain ridge both places are on has 100 mile view due north. I have been visiting that farm and tramping their woods since I was old enough to walk. Higley Hill is the center of the Elliott family in VT, no doubt. The family will still be present on the hill with 4 different properties, but with Bob not there, it won't be the same. But I digress, sorry.
 So Monday Bill and I went over to move out some stuff that needed to come to their house and he needed help. We also broke down some stuff to get it out side for his grandson to take care of later in the week. Melinda had been there several days this past week and filled a roll-off dumpster with stuff. It's been very hard for her to make these decisions, but it's gotta be done. Many of us have been there. Bob insisted on coming with us, and that just made it harder. She didn't want him to poke around in the dumpster and start finding stuff. SO we did the tasks on the list and headed back. While I was there I saw some of the furniture (dressers, beds, and such) and realized that furniture came from Bob's parents house as well as his wife's parents house. This stuff was quite old and quite beautiful even though the finishes were shot about 4 years ago. Much of it I would guess is well over 100 years old and some dressers had marble tops and nice back mirrors still attached. One dresser really caught my eye. At first it doesn't look like much and it's pretty dried out.

Check out the ray fleck on the sides:

Now look at the top:

With a full refinish, that would look like a million bucks. Unfortunately it is spoken for, but if that family member changes her mind I will get over there with a few days notice to pick it up. I have no idea where to put it, but I can't let that go to an auction house and bring in 50 bucks.
So we did what we had to do and got Bob back home and unloaded. Later in the day it came about that Michele could use some of the less expensive bookcases for her storage, so we went back over with my truck and her SUV and loaded her up. This time without Bob, and Bill and I brought tools to get other stuff done. Also this time, I could look in the dumpster. ;D Because they went back without me and I could take my time.
 I wasn't looking for valuables, I was looking for personal stuff that belonged to my cousin over nearly a century of 'stuff'. Something to have of his in my home or shop. I found a give away mechanical pencil from his long time heavy equipment and trucking business, some do-dads, a post hole digger, and trinkets and a flashlight. Now I like mag lights in general, but this one made me laugh.

Hard to read, but the head of the flashlight is engraved "Good chance Bob does not know where this is, Please Return" and on the other side it has his name. This is typical for Bob's humor and I didn't care if it works or not. I took it. (And Yes, it does work just fine.) That was the 'treasure' I was looking for. When I got back I went over and helped Michele move a stack of plywood in her shop, getting ready for winter.
 So Monday night Michele came over for dinner and we had more good conversations and today, rather than leave in the morning when Bill went to work, we hung around with Bob so Melinda could go over to his house and work with the electrician to get some wiring cleaned up. When she got back, just after noon, we hit the road. It was a long weekend and I left a lot more out than you might guess, apple picking and such. Plus a box of family documents that Melinda insisted I take as the family genealogist and I went through just once so far, enough to know there is some neat stuff in there. But we had a good time and are both tired out.
 Now it's time to get back to work, I only have 2 workdays this week, best make the most of them.

thecfarm

Sad to see those trees go.
The place will not look the same.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chep

I agree on the maple trees what a shame. I would sell them on taking the deadwood out and doing some reductions on anything that seemed compromised. And Maybe cable some stuff too? All for much less $$ then removals.   Sugar maples can hold together in a really decayed state for a very long time. 
People are so scared of their trees sometimes its a shame. I consider those landmarks!

Old Greenhorn

Well I agree, but he's made up his mind and it is their house. Yes, deadwood pruning and all that would help, but I could see that he has to do this now. There are other reasons involved. Also, as we all should know, it's very hard to judge 1 tree from a photo, let alone 4.
 The thing that bothers me is the cost he will pay. I am not saying he is being hosed in any way. But if he were in our neighborhood an I did the job with Bill and one more of his guys, we could do the 4 trees in two days or less. Provided we had a place to dump the wood no too far away. We wouldn't take the lines down around them either or use a crane. We would do it as a bucket job, chop and drop until we were down to the stem. The guy that is doing it has good gear, a trained crew and Bill watched them do big trees just down the road, a nice neat, quick job. But he uses a lot of equipment, files permits, etc.
 It's just a very sad end of an era. I have spent countless hours studying those trees, he has spent many many more.
 Scraping out a living in rural Vermont as a lifetime 4th generation local is not always an easy thing when you are surrounded by properties owned by folks who make/made their money elsewhere and have lots to spend. It saddens me a great deal.

Old Greenhorn

Well I got back into the groove on Wednesday and worked all day in the shop on a small commission job. I got all the joinery work done and fitted, plus a coat of the grey wash finish on the front. But my lower back gave out because I was doing bench work all day and I guess the leaning over added up.  Just a simple cross design with half lap joints all around.

With the sign in it it doesn't look too bad.

Yesterday(Thursday) I put a coat of wash on the backside. Next I suppose I will take it apart, touch up the spots I couldn't reach, give it a light sand and then re-assess the finish and go from there. I will seal it up with water based poly which will darken it a shade.

The Luthier's show is this weekend and one of my main events for the year, again as volunteer staff. It is sad, but after 15 years, this is the last one. They are calling it quits. Expenses, staffing, logistics, and everybody's age increasing all added up. Sad to see this one go. It's a major event for high end luthiers around the world. We get them from Asia to Europe each year. I am really going to miss it.
 My job is running the clinics (workshops), these are 1 hour instructional sessions with high end artists so that regular players can sit with them and learn specific techniques, playing styles, or music theory/philosophy in an intimate setting with just a small number of students (5 to 30 people on average). I collect the money, get the artist set up and get what they need, keep track of funds and make sure they get paid, and generally keep things moving and on schedule. We rent a room in one of the restaurants on the Bearsville theater campus for this, so I am not at the main event most of the weekend, but it's only 100 yards away. They start setting up the show on Wednesday evening and all day Thursday, except for the workshop area. It takes a lot of hands. We don't have access to the workshop venue until Friday morning, so I have to get that all set up and ready this morning before 11am. It's fairly easy and sometimes I get a little help. This year they threw in a 'retrospective talk' by Linda Manzer at mid-day on Saturday I will have to re-configure the staging for, then back again for more workshops. That session will be packed, so door control will matter as we are capping it at 55 people with no reservations and they have already had 300 requests for seats.
 Last year we had a couple of requests for a foot riser for some of the players with back issues. I had to improvise and it worked, but as not very elegant. This year I took one of my poorer ideas (a 3 legged stool) and modified it into a foot riser for this purpose.

Hopefully this should do the job.

My plan was to give it to Larry Campbell after the weekend, but he is on tour and not coming this year. I'll think on that some more.

So yesterday I did the wash job, then modified this stool and put some tung oil on the fresh cut areas and blended it all in. Then I headed to the mill, found logs for the next order and got them wrangled up on the mill deck and did a little cleanup. After that I headed off to the show to check in, pick up my credentials, and get the detailed changes for the year to get my head in the game. As always, there is some stress with making it all happen on schedule, so the changes keep it 'interesting'. ;D My other job at the show is doing 'backstage security' at the big concert Saturday night, which means whatever needs doing, loading in, loading out, help with staging setup, and a lot of hanging around in between. So Friday I leave the house at around 8am and get home by around 7:30pm unless something comes up. Saturday I get to the show around 10am and get home around 2am Sunday morning, then back again at 10am until closing the show and folding and stacking all the tables and gear, so maybe I get home at 8pm, unless I go to the wrap party, then who knows? :D Several times I have helped set up the wrap party sound and staging at a club somewhere else in town, but I'm getting old and the appeal is waning for me.
 Time to make breakfast and get on the road.

Resonator

My suggestion for future design improvement:  smiley_sidelightbulb
Box it in like a cigar box, add a sound pickup, and your foot riser can double as an el cajon stomp box. smiley_guitarist ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Old Greenhorn

I dunno what an 'el cajon' is but I like the Cajon idea and I might work on that. Unfortunately, Larry, who I had in mind hen I made this, is on tour now and is not with us this weekend. I planed o gifting ti to him when the weekend was done. This is our last year, the show is ending. It's just too much cost and logistics to put on for a bunch of older folks who have decades in the industry.
 Yeah, gotta work on that Cajon idea, it's a good one. We had 4 workshops today, and two of the artists were really happy the riser was there. I am taking notes. ;D

Resonator

It sounded more important with "el" (the) in front of it. Like "El Camino". ;D

Old Greenhorn

Old Greenhorn

Well as expected, it was a long weekend.
 Friday was easy, got there at 9am and left at around 7:30pm. Just workshops all day. The artists that do these 1 hour sessions are all high end pros sharing and teaching some very complex techniques so most of it is way over my head. I am too busy trying to keep the money and tickets straight anyway. But I have gotten to know a number of the artists over the years and that is the fun part for me.
 My foot riser was a hit and used by about half the artists. Many use devices like ErgoPlay, but the foot riser worked fine for those who didn't have theirs with them. Also I noted many of these artists commented with the hundreds and hundreds of playing hours they have in a year, proper posture and holding techniques are critical to avoiding injury that puts them out of work for a while. It's a serious thing for them. Anyway, having it there was more than handy for those who needed it.
 Tony McManus (Scotland) really liked it.

And a very old friend of the Show Tim Farrell (Maryland) also was pleased it was there.

(you can google both of these guys if you have an interest.)

Saturday was my long day. I got there at 8:30 ran the workshops until 6pm, then headed to the palyhouse on the other end of town and worked backstage until midnight, then home. Back again SUnday morning at 8:30 for the builders breakfast talk, then another full day of workshops until 5pm, then breakdown and haul out all that stuff. I got back to the main show around 6pm. Then a lot of goodbyes and closing out. I got home at 9pm or so. This is the last one, unless something or someone major steps up to take it over and that isn't looking too good. The builders from Asia and Europe that come this this are the most sorry to see it go. They claim it is the best organized and produced show in the world. I wouldn't know. But it's been fun the be a part of for the last ten years or so.

Monday, as you might guess, I was shot. I slept a little late then piddled in the shop a bit and did some of the stuff on my wife's list. I went to bed early too. ;D

Today was more 'normal', that is until my phone reminded me that I had a chiro appointment at 9am,  right in the middle of cooking breakfast...SHOOT! I shoved breakfast down, changed clothes and just made it in time for my appointment. Got back around 10:30, changed clothes again, and Bill called needing a hand to hook up his 12" leaf sucker to the chip truck, it's a 2 man job, so that killed an hour or so. He left and I commenced to cutting mushroom log trees, I have 2 orders due this week. I got what I need for the open orders then got home around 1:30 or so, put on some dry shirts, had lunch, rested my eyes for a little, then hit the shop, started a smudge fire and layed on a coat of polycrylic on the current commission job. I should go back out now and move it along, but the tree work kind of wore me out.

Tomorrow is the monthly food shopping trip to town, then after lunch I have to deliver the larger of those two log orders about 45 minutes west of here. Just another day.

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

I think you've found your niche market and product. Good luck with the foot risers.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Not by a long shot Howard! First, these guys and gals are all very high end pros and they rely on these things after decades of wear and tear on their bodies. They are a very small bunch and those other devices I mentioned are commercially available and cost between 30 and 100 bucks. Most of these players have sponsor deals and don't buy most of the stuff they need. As one of the artists told me, it was a lovely piece and he would love to have something of the sort in his home studio but couldn't take it on the road. (I would have given it to him but he had an international flight home and couldn't fit it in his weight limit.) They need something foldable and light that will fit in a guitar case pocket.  Add to that the fact that these folks all play very intricate jazz, melodic, or detailed finger picking styles for a sitting position, that not how your average performing guitar player plays, they stand.

Still, that's not to say I would discard the idea entirely. I could make one or two more a tad higher and just have them around. The one I made was a modified stool last minute deal. For a designed foot riser, I would go no more than 6/4 thick and raise the legs a bit. But I am intrigued by Resonators suggestion and am rolling around in my head how to make a foot riser that would also function as a Cajon. A lot of very skilled guitar players incorporate percussion in their tunes by tapping, thumping, and other methods on the instrument. Getting any decent sound out of a small box with a foot tap is challenging. I will have to do some study on Cajon designs than try to transcribe it to a much smaller package. I am thinking it may be a winter project. I know one touring pro who will likely be happy to try it out and experiment with some tunes on it. He plays guitar, bass, and banjo, but started his career as a drummer. He just lives a mile away and likes to experiment.

It will probably amount to nothing, but will be fun to play with. I wish I had some very thin Ash planed up, that would be the way to start. I do have some white oak. I wonder how that would work?

Resonator

Good to hear I got your ideas rolling. Any box will make a thump / stomp noise, it just depends what sound you are trying to create. I've seen acts playing an empty box liquor bottles came it. John Hartford had a board he would stomp on as he played fiddle and banjo.
Remember if you use the names "El Cajon", "El Cajon Grande", or "El Cajon Poco" for branding purposes, you have to give me credit. ;D

Old Greenhorn

Well Wednesday I delivered those Mushroom logs after we did our monthly shopping and some errands in town, which pretty much killed the day. I didn't get much sleep Wednesday night. Family issues on my mind I don't know how to fix and I wound up getting up at 3am for the day. I had planned on working at the mill yesterday but given my groggy state I didn't think it was entirely safe for me. So I worked in the shop and pretty much finished up the current project. I also planed out some cherry for the next one on the list.
 In the early evening Pat twisted her knee and was in excruciating pain. She had a lot of trouble moving around at all, even with a cane for support. SO priorities changed pretty quick. She had a rough night and wound up sleeping on the couch with her leg bent. This morning we called the PCP and through that we were referred to a walk0in ortho clinic in town. They have a pretty slick system and we blitzed through it, x-ray, exam, treatment all done in about 30-40 minutes. They gave her a cortisone shot and she is already feeling relief tonight. So as I said, priorities change and I am now on cooking and dish duty as well as whatever else needs doing until relieved. ;D She has a show next weekend and she is working on a helper for the day. So I did get a little shop time today while Pat was napping. I poured some epoxy and did a handful of other tiny things. Tomorrow will be about the same, I guess. It's supposed to be a rainout again.
 I finally made contact with a potential client this evening after a week of phone/email tag. I met this gal at the show I did back in August and she has some wide live edge stuff 8/4 thick she wants to make a bar top out of. So we had the preliminary conversation today and we will try to hook up next week for me to go look at her wood and work up an estimated cost. Just doing the top should be easy, but the devil is always in the details, right?  It sounds like I just have to flatten it, straight line the edges and glue it up. Then sand and put a finish on it. I'll need the slabmizer for these at about 8' x 18". But lets see what it really looks like first. Not sure if she wants a polyurethane finish, or an epoxy full pour. Big difference in time and work, but we'll see. She is going to send me some pictures, then I'll do a visit. She's about 15 minutes down the road.
 I think I am running to town tomorrow to pick up a HF biscuit joiner. The next 3 jobs I have include flat panel glue joints and the biscuits would really help with the alignment and save me some time. I really don't want to spend ANY money right now, but this is one of those things that should save me some time.
 Tomorrow is another day.

WV Sawmiller

Sorry to hear about Pat's knee and glad she got some relief and hope it takes care of the problem. I am well aware of those wifey knee and hip problems and you have my very best wishes and condolences. I hope tomorrow is a better day.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Well today I had to take the wife to get her toenails done since I had to go to town anyway so I dropped her off and went to get fuel (beer) and then to HF where I have not been in a few months. Like it or not I need to get a biscuit joiner. So I got their cheap one full knowing it has tightness and alignment issues. But I have 3 projects lined up and I need biscuits for alignment. I figured if it turned out I really use it a bunch, I will certainly get a better one later when the work demands it.
 So between the running around I got some work done in the shop. That veterinary sign got picked up and I took in two sets of sewing machine legs in another deal, yet to be concluded. I sanded the cherry boards I am doing minor epoxy fills on for the current major project. It doesn't need much, just securing small knots and minor tiny cracks. I poured on the second side of the boards today and they are curing.
 During yesterdays pour I used the leftover to do a final pour on this mirror and today I cleaned out and fitted the mirror in the back. Tomorrow I will drill the hanging holes and set the mirror.

I also like the way the medullary rays pop out in this piece. It's red oak, live edge, no bark.

Then I tested out the biscuit cutter with a butt joint and a miter joint. I think we understand each other now. ;D Those biscuits sure do make the miters glue up easier.

I might make that mitered test piece into a device stand rather than throw it in the stove.

So mostly just piddled from thing to thing but made some things move forward. I did put in a full day, so that must mean something, right?

Tomorrow is another day, more of the same.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on October 21, 2023, 06:24:11 PM......
Then I tested out the biscuit cutter with a butt joint and a miter joint. I think we understand each other now. .....
Yeah um, about that. Well 24 biscuits later we may understand each other better now, but I am finding it's quite finicky and had one or two 'fliers'. Also the biscuits HF sells are lousy. Either the cutter is thin, or the biscuits are thick, at any rate I have to sand down the thickness and taper the edges to make them fit with enough room for some glue. If I don't, I have to drive them in and that isn't the way to do a glue joint. Still, they are a big help for alignment doing a bunch of panels.
 I spent Sunday and Monday all day planeing and making up the sides and shelves for a shelf unit I am making from cherry. I am running low on my Cherry boards and trying to make it stretch. It didn't help that I neglected to look at the design sketch because I was SURE the unit width was 12" when it actually was 16". I discovered it today after I had all the panels done. So I then re-did some stuff and adjusted my plan and glued more joints. The killer was, I had the boards available to cut them to the right length in the first place and just screwed up and now that is wasted wood. I didn't have enough boards of the proper thickness to make them over. This is why I'm not a woodworker, stupid stupid mistake.
 So after backing up and re-starting today at a faster pace, I have a bunch of panels with glue drying and some final epoxy touch up fills drying now and tomorrow I should be able to sand and start planning my assembly joints. I know I had a solid 8 hours on Sunday, 9 hours on Monday, and 8 hours today in the shop working. My back is starting to complain about all the time on my feet and the wife is still at less than half speed so I am helping make dinner and doing all the dishes and chores after work. I am tried and hitting the rack early each night.
 Tomorrow she has her sewing group at church which I have to drive her to, then maybe I can get some more work done.
 I did have a new log client come by today and just pick up a dozen logs, but she also bought a Loginator(tm). She will be getting a larger order of winter cut logs in March, but needed a few to get her started learning the process and setting herself up. She saw my work and would like me to make a slab top for a bathroom sink, so when I deliver her logs in March I will have to measure that up and make a plan. She also has some walnut trees she might want to 'get rid of' ;D. So there is another little sale with a new contact and it all helps. They add up. Things are picking up slowly and I am grateful for that. I just have to keep poking a little to generate at least a small sale each week.
 Tomorrow is another day and we'll see how that goes.

21incher

Some biscuits just don't  fit right. Sometimes it's the blade kerf that is off but most of the time it's just humidity causing them to expand.  I have had luck just squeezing them in a machinist vise if they are tight. I put mine  in Mason jars and pull a vacuum to help keep moisture away from them for storage. I have also seen a guy machine 2 knurled rounds with a handle that have 4mm spacing like a pasta roller to re squeeze them for a perfect fit. Definitely the cheapest fastest way to reinforce joints.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Old Greenhorn

Well I may just be a grumpy old fart, but I think these things should fit the purpose they were sold for. I don't want to make up a rerolling machine just to make this stuff work as promised. It takes me about a minute and a half to sand and trim 8 of these biscuits. I will just keep doing that until these are gone and then I will try a bucket of the ones HD sells (I forget the brand name, green label). Biscuits really lend nothing to the joint, they just help with alignment for gluing.

Thank You Sponsors!