iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this a Southern Hawthorn tree?

Started by Bnew17, May 18, 2023, 02:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bnew17

The app on my  phone says it is, but it is only right about half the time so I wanted to ask some folks that would know for sure. I have not seen a tree like this before so I was unsure. Thanks!

Don P

I remember thinking, "Its a Hawthorn, I don't know if it is in the land of sweet tea or not  :D"

SwampDonkey

If it's thorny it's hawthorn. Doesn't look like witch hazel because those leaves are doubly serrate.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bluthum

I'd guess that likely a Crataegus member given the gross bark and leaves characteristics but you really need way more than leaves to be certain sure. There are quite a number of species in the south and to make matters more complex they hybridize readily. I seriously doubt there is a plant app completely up to the job. Way back in the day long before plant apps my plant taxonomy prof said advised us to not bother trying to key them to species even with them proper books. 

Texas Ranger

A dendrologist in the south once said there was over 1600 hawthorn species because taxonomists wanted to add their name to the list.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Don P

For comparison, this is a witch hazel

Thank You Sponsors!