iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with a dig pattern.

Started by Jeff, June 04, 2023, 04:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

aigheadish

I gotta say I'm a bit jealous of that pond, Jeff. It looks like you've got beautiful water and beautiful material to hold all the water in. Mine has some clay but has leaks like crazy. I don't know if you have much water loss through the year but beware, as I was digging some of my (existing) pond I found that I would make deep spots along the edge, so as my pond dries out in the summer there are what look like craters a few feet in, where I couldn't reach the deepest spots with the hoe, to make a smooth transition from deep to shallow. Probably fixable at some point but I get puddles instead of a consistent smooth ground. I also don't know that that really matters, just a heads up.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Jeff

This video clip is part 2 of my work to expand our little woodland pond. Today's task was to dig some dry material to add to the wet fill in a low area. I also began to shape the Peninsula where Tammy wants me to build a screened Gazebo. That is a bit down the road I'd say. So far Justine in working well. That is my Backhoe's first name. Justine Case.
:)
Expanding our Little Pond with a Backhoe. PART 2!! Defining the Peninsula. - YouTube
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

And just like that already, part 3 of expanding da Yooper pond!!

Expanding our Pond. Love to dig!! Part 3. - YouTube

BEFORE PICTURE!!

Cornerstone

Man Jeff, you're making huge improvements with your property. You can proceed knowing all the hard work that goes into beautifying your property adds significant value to the land. Not only will you enjoy the place that much more, but it'll be worth more at the same time.  8) I guess that's the epitome of "sweat equity"
Case 580SK backhoe, New Holland L228 skid steer, Kubota 900rtv, Home made band mill, 1968 Chevy C50 Dump Truck, 1972 C10, 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 dually, all sorts of motorcycles.
Ephesians 3: 17-21

Jeff

aigheadish

Did you do anything to the water to go from muck to that lovely blueish? Mine will get very clear if I can keep water in it but it's never that color!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

SwampDonkey

The spring fed ponds around here were always clear. Some places if the water is fed by a bog  it will be as black a coffee. :D Only time I've seen blue green was when algae was in it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

It is a dye packet from tractor supply that is supposed to inhibit algae growth. I got a good amount of digging done today, but Im thinking I may have to hire or rent a skid steer. 

Walnut Beast

Maybe check with the guy that mulched for you

Jeff

I was planning on it if he ever shows up here. I have an area behind the cabin I want mulched to put fill in to  store the sawmill and backhoe.

thecfarm

Looks like you are enjoying your land!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nebraska

I use the pond dye too, helps cut down on the yuck that grows and doesn't bother the fish.

Jeff

Progress continues. We have rain coming tomorrow, so my digging will have to hault when that happens. That clay is like snot when it gets wet.

Backhoe Pond expansion. Part 4 More Digging! - YouTube

Chuck White

I never could really figure out why some backhoe operators will adjust the stabilizers and the loader so that the tractor itself is completely off the ground, most around here will have the tires in contact with the ground!

It just seems to me that with the tractor completely off the ground, that it would be hard on the joints and more strain on everything!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

That opening scene is nice.
I like part 4.
If I dug like that here, I would have a pile of rocks!!!
Your land looks nice.

Jeff

I've noted from my videos that even though the tractor has the parking brake on, the wheel that the brakes do not work on, will rotate. Im always workin on a slight slope here, so I don't want to move.

Ray, did you see the rock? I found a rock! I shall call it Ray! Twin fawns Ray!! Twin fawns! It has been a long time since I saw twins here!

thecfarm

I saw THE ONE ROCK.  ;D
Yes on the twin fawns too. Side by side.

barbender

You are more stable getting the tires off the ground, in my experience. Tires wobble and give, and the outriggers are the widest point so getting the weight on them gives the best stability. The lowest you can raise the machine to achieve that is typically best, but there's sometimes other things you may be trying to accomplish. For instance, keeping the front end low, and picking the rear way up with the outriggers will give you much more lifting height if you are trying to load a truck or something. 
Too many irons in the fire

WV Sawmiller

Jeff,

If you get that excited by finding a rock for a real thrill you need to visit WV. :D

I guess I can relate though as I grew up in NW Fla and all we had was sand and dirt with no rocks. Maybe some river gravel in some places.

Can you engrave Ray's name on the rock and put it at the head of the pond somewhere?

Looking good so far. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Jeff on June 24, 2023, 08:20:33 AM
I found a rock! 
I dug out about a 20w x 10d x 3' high slope. I found more than one rock! All the new dirty ones.

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

chevytaHOE5674

Looks good.

One word of caution, I hope you have looked at the requirements for a Michigan Soil Disturbance permit, and are following the guide lines. The counties and state have started really cracking down, expecially with today's aerial photos. Neighbor expanded his pond without the proper permit and last I knew the state wants 10k bucks plus site remediation. 

Jeff

My hole is less than a quarter acre.

According to the deq regs, I do not meet any of the criteria requiring a permit for increasing the size of this pond. 

The pond will either connect to, or be within 500 feet of, an existing body of water such as a lake, river, or stream.

The pond will be within a regulated wetland or 100-year floodplain.

The pond's size will reach or exceed a surface area of 5 acres.

The pond's construction will require the damming of an existing stream.

chevytaHOE5674

As long as you are under the requirements for the soil disturbance permit your golden. Any dirt work over 1 acre puts you into that permit the local soil guy says.

Personally I don't give a rip. But I hate seeing guys get jammed up after the fact. My neighbor is a good guy that was doing just as you are, now he's getting raked over the coals.

Jeff

I got a fish rock! This baby is around 4ft across. A babyray rock.

Thank You Sponsors!