iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

About 7 months into Wood Mizer LT 50 order

Started by widetrackman, July 06, 2023, 05:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

widetrackman

Well , have not heard squat from WM since order and estimated 70 weeks delivery. It appears production has not got any better over the last 2 years and is blamed on every supply chain source you can think of while stacking up a lot of deposit $$ ( free operating capital ). I am beginning to wonder if WM is continuing to take orders with no intention of in increasing production. The supply issue/blame is starting to get old, as every manufacturer blames someone for lack of production. Reminds me of a statement l heard made by a GM official several months ago on Fox News that stated they could increase production but will not so as to minimize inventory overhead cost and discounting, therefore causing higher pricing due to demand out striping production. Does anyone have any insight if things at WM will ever get better? Sorry for the rant.

Southside

Well, try hiring employees for starters, people don't want to work. Had someone stop by last night asking if I would make a floor for her new house. She started with "I know you are working 90+ hours a week, but...." her husband is one of those man children fishing, loafing around, "taking care of his health", that are the core of the issue all employers are facing. 

I know I am just as tired of it as the consumer is. Things won't improve until folks get hungry, and then it will be an uphill battle from there. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

There is also the situation where "customers" ordered 3+ sawmills with the intention of immediately selling and raking in a "huge" profit.  This was driven by the high lumber prices and the thought/mindset that everyone sawing & selling lumber was getting rich.  I am seeing some of these sawmills hitting the market at a highly marked up selling price.

Legitimate sawyers/buyers then had to take their number and stand in line.  I see the reason for frustration but not for blaming the manufacturers.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tacks Y

I see someone selling a new 70, of course the price is 120k. I see another brand new 70 at auction in the next couple weeks.

Some some are buying to sell.

Tom K

As long as WM is meeting there expected delivery dates I don't see any reason why they need to increase production. They gave you a estimated delivery date of 70 weeks, your less then have way there right now at 28 weeks.

Along the same lines as Southside said, manufacturing capacity can't always just be dialed up easily. If they are out of building area an addition could take 1-2 years to get up and fully operational (if they could staff it.) 

If I were in WM shoes I wouldn't be very quick to spend a lot of money to ramp up production either as a boom and bust cycle is never fun. Spend a lot of money to increase production and the demand drops and your left holding the bag.

Magicman

I just saw a brand new LT40 Wide for sale.  His stated cost: $47,000.  Selling price: $55,000.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

If Woodmizer were the only company having these issues, there would be room for concern.

I really don't think they are making up excuses.  The problems they are having are still affecting many industries.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

nativewolf

There are lots of woodmizers, used sawmill operations, showing up on auctions now- industrial woodmizers.  I suspect retail won't be far behind. 

Were I in woodmizers shoes there is no way I'd ramp factory space/employees.  At some point not everyone needs a sawmill.   

Still 1.6 jobs postings for every jobless.  
Liking Walnut

Dewey

I was promised 14 months for my LT70 Electric Mill package. It arrived at 19 months... Spent several days working to get bed functions to work with WM on the phone . With no luck they had a WM Rep come, with all kinds of spare parts. After spending 6 hours working on it ,He found out they installed the Hydraulic Pump upside down... .WM still swears all Mills are tested before they leave the factory LOL

csobel

I'm about 13 months into an LT40 super order. Any time I've emailed my rep I've gotten a response within 4 hours about the current timeline. It seems they're on target right now and I should be expecting a mill late fall (ordered may '22).

I think we'll be seeing a glut of used mills in about 5-8 years time. Hard to say exactly but I'm guessing lots of folks will realize milling their own lumber is a bit more involved and usually more $$ than just the gateway drug know at "LT". "I made $500 of bad 2x6's for $70,000!" Maybe I'll be one of those people...

As someone who used to take deposits for a year waitlist, it's legitimate. There's usually a fair bit of labor that goes into getting a custom order like that ready and the back and fourth can take time. I get it though; right now I feel like companies are capitalizing on this situation. Not necessarily WM but a lot of sectors have increased their prices 30% on the same model. My tractor cost $59,000 2.5 years ago — the same model is now 77,000 this year in identical trim. I've been offered 50k for it used but passed; it would cost too much to eventually replace!!
Woodmizer LT40 wide remote (on order)
WM MP360
Kubota L47 TLB
Mini forklift
Lots of trailers and a big diesel to tow them
Laguna resaw/power feed
Various small machinery, 40hp RPC, 20hp RPC, and so on...

rooster 58

I just got my brightstar auction book yesterday.  There's a brand new super70 wide being auctioned off on July 14th. Pictures show the mill being delivered at Indy

rooster 58

And yet another brand new mill for sale,  this time  a 40 in North Carolina advertised on FB 

barbender

Very soon they won't be bringing new money anymore. I will feel a large amount of satisfaction watching those that ordered new mills on speculation thinking they would sell them for a profit, lose money on them.
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

So will I.  They screwed up the market for legitimate buyers.

Resonator

And for the little guy 1 man band operations who NEED a hydraulic mill to grow their business, and struggle because of the current market situation. ::) ::) ::)
I have a feeling some barely used mills will come on the market, when the owners will have piled up a lifetime supply of lumber they cut in a short amount of time. Also some who bought them and didn't realize how much physical work is involved in turning trees into lumber.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Magicman

I hope that John Q. Public is savvy enough to let those new "fb sawmills" rot in place.

Brad_bb

If I were in Woodmizer's shoes, I would be very hesitant to spend capitol to increase production, because I'd expect that at some point the boom will be over and the demand will not only drop off to pracademic levels, but at that point there would be a glut of used and new mills on the secondary market (a lot of them that they produced), so their demand at that point will be less than pre-pandemic levels.  So it does not make sense to do that kind of expansion.  IF you could even find more qualified workers, you'd have to invest in training them in their job, the way they do things, their systems, and then they'd end up laying them off when the demand falls off.  NOpe.  They will be in enough trouble/struggle when the demand falls off, and they are forced to lay off long time employees, and they still have to keep paying on any capitol improvements they'd done, and pay the extra taxes on  any expansion/investment....  It's not going to be easy.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

SawyerTed

Think about all the sawmills, RVs, boats, SXS, convertibles, tractors, motorcycles, kayaks, table saws...that are sitting under sheds unused purchased during the pandemic.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Southside

Just browsing Craigs List in the RV section for giggles some of those are showing up - massive 5th wheels and toy haulers, a year or two old, in the $100K range that folks have decided "should go to a better home".....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

LogPup

No.  The supply issue is not made up.  I have two truckloads of product from a manufacturer in my warehouse waiting for one part to complete production.
Been there five months.  Nobody wants to spend money to have material sit in a warehouse.  The stocking of material from the start of the pandemic is all gone.  At least I don't have to wait a year for a new forklift now.

David 

Crossroads

I'm starting to test the waters for selling my Lt40 and at first I put a price on it that I thought would make me a little profit, but then I realized the amount of inventory I have of spare parts and blades that will be included in the sale and raised it another 5k. When I decide to sell, I may not get my asking price, but I'm not going to be giving anything away either. My new mill is almost 4 months late and counting...
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

SawyerTed

I should have held on to my LT35 until the 50 arrived.   Hind sight :( and I did ignore that same advice from some very experienced and wise members here.

The selling price I got for the 35 was more than I paid for it, all parts, maintenance and repairs over 4 years.   It was not hard to take the cash. But I've been without a miill for 74 weeks and counting.  

Crossroads

I was wondering if you might question your decision to sell early, but I'm sure everything will work out just fine in the end. I keep watching for yours to show up, mine should be right behind it....
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

csobel

Quote from: SawyerTed on July 10, 2023, 08:15:55 PM
I should have held on to my LT35 until the 50 arrived.   Hind sight :( and I did ignore that same advice from some very experienced and wise members here.

The selling price I got for the 35 was more than I paid for it, all parts, maintenance and repairs over 4 years.   It was not hard to take the cash. But I've been without a miill for 74 weeks and counting.  
Ted,
How long have you been waiting now? Have the delirium tremens set in yet?
Woodmizer LT40 wide remote (on order)
WM MP360
Kubota L47 TLB
Mini forklift
Lots of trailers and a big diesel to tow them
Laguna resaw/power feed
Various small machinery, 40hp RPC, 20hp RPC, and so on...

Thank You Sponsors!