iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Window/door trim/baseboard

Started by macminn18, July 21, 2023, 09:24:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macminn18

I have a bunch of hard maple I need to mill for all the trim in our house. I milled the tongue and groove that ison the walls and ceilings.  That was milled to whatever size the log gave me.
I'm trying to wrap my head around how to mill for the trim. Craftsman style trim, still dialing in dimensions. Probably 3 ½" window and door sides, 6" top, 1" stool, top and bottom, etc.  I will also be using this for the jamb ectensions. They vary throughout the house. Its an ICF build, so some of them are 9 - 10" deep
I'm just doing the milling, will be taking it to a place to dry and make the trim.
Whats the best way to do this process for minimal waste? What size width boards should i mill?

47sawdust

Your 3rd sentence is your answer.Having multiple widths to work with is always handy.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

NaySawyer

I also am doing arts & crafts .. stood a 2 X 4 up beside a door opening and lay a 2 X 6 along the floor butting up to it .. even the archi liked it so will use same in 1 Xs.
Now about those deep window openings .. do not do it!!  Move the glass closer to the inside of the room .. otherwise those "alcoves" will frost right up in cold weather.  The warm airflow rises up the wall completely bypassing your windows.

47sawdust

Lots of ICF houses in Vermont, windows are all in the outside plane of the wall.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Sod saw

We lived for about two decades in a cobblestone farm house here in NY State.

As you might expect, the outside walls are solid stone about 18 inches thick.  Built in the early 1800's

All of the windows originally were single glazing but over the years some were upgraded with alum storm windows outside of the original glass.  All windows (and doors) are at the outside side of the walls with nice deep window wells to have glass shelves in for nick-nacks.

Those windows never froze until the temperature got down to well below zero.  Some had frost but not all of them.  We attempted to keep the indoor temperature around 70 degrees.  The two upstairs bedrooms had no direct heat source, only what drifted up the stairs.

Just our experience. 

Oh, by the way, some fun history.       Our county has the more cobblestone buildings than any other county in the world.  Most from field stone and some from Lake Ontario shore stone.

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

Thank You Sponsors!