iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dewalt Random Orbital Sander

Started by Big_eddy, August 01, 2023, 11:29:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big_eddy

I have the usual Dewalt corded Random Orbital Sander, with the hook and loop base. I think this is my second one, maybe the third. 
Haven't used it for a while, but had a need for it this weekend. The sanding disks would not stick to the sander. I'd stick them on, switch it on, and they would shoot off across the shop. Tried a new disk. Same result. If I stuck it on and placed it on the workpiece and started sanding, it would sort of stay, but as soon as I lifted it up, off it shot. I tried loops of masking tape then duct tape without success. I finally broke down and used some double sided tape to hold the disk to the sander to get my job done. Of course that made changing the disk out a challenge.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? Pretty sure it wasn't doing this last time I used it, but it has been a couple of years and one of the kids may have used it in the meantime. My stock of sanding disks is old (but unused). They seem "fuzzy" enough they should stick. Do the hooks on the bottom of the sanding pad wear out. Is the sanding pad replaceable? Or is it time to replace with a new one - I know they are only $100, but seems a shame as this one does not have that many hours on it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

21incher

I replaced the pad on mine when that happened.  I think the heat from sanding softens the hooks over time.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Larry

They wear out or some kid used it and forgot to put a sandpaper disc on. ::)
$10 something from Amazon and I usually buy two at a time.

Dewalt replacement pads are also cheaply made and that contributes to the decline in stickiness.  The pads for my Dynabrade last 10 times longer and hold tighter but are also more expensive when they need replacement.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Old Greenhorn

Yup, standard problem. I just replaced the pad on the sander and all was good to go. They are pretty cheap, think I got a 2 pack, but probably lost the second one by now. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Big_eddy

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on August 01, 2023, 12:27:23 PM, think I got a 2 pack, but probably lost the second one by now. :D
LOL Sounds like something I'll do.I wonder if they sell singles?

doc henderson

the pads for porter cable last well.  It can be from years of abuse, loke rustic edges when the paper gets a tear or hole in it and over time do not work as well.  I have a loner sander, that was loaned per my wife's request, and now is a permanent loaner.  the replacement is cheaper than a new sander.  I have about 6 porter cable sanders, and two of the batt. operated DeWalt's.  I also changed from the 5 hole to 8 hole, as I used up those sanding pads.  I it happened all at once, prob heat or age and just realized now.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Tom King

I keep replacement pads in the toolbox with the sanders and disks, and whatever tool is needed to change the pad.  It's so long between uses that I never can think about how long one is supposed to last, how long the last one lasted, or remember or want to look for what size Allen wrench or screwdriver is needed to change it.

wildtmpckjzg

Quote from: Big_eddy on August 01, 2023, 11:29:10 AM
I have the usual Dewalt corded Random Orbital Sander, with the hook and loop base. I think this is my second one, maybe the third.
Haven't used it for a while, but had a need for it this weekend. The sanding disks would not stick to the sander. I'd stick them on, switch it on, and they would shoot off across the shop. Tried a new disk. Same result. If I stuck it on and placed it on the workpiece and started sanding, it would sort of stay, but as soon as I lifted it up, off it shot. I tried loops of masking tape then duct tape without success. I finally broke down and used some double sided tape to hold the disk to the sander to get my job done. Of course that made changing the disk out a challenge.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? Pretty sure it wasn't doing this last time I used it, but it has been a couple of years and one of the kids may have used it in the meantime. My stock of sanding disks is old (but unused). They seem "fuzzy" enough they should stick. Do the hooks on the bottom of the sanding pad wear out. Is the sanding pad replaceable? Or is it time to replace with a new one - I know they are only $100 landscaping atlanta, but seems a shame as this one does not have that many hours on it.

Anyone have any suggestions?
I have the Dewalt D26451 random orbit sander.  It has good power and sands well.  However, the sanding pad has poor holding ability for my sanding disks.  It does not have the normal velcro "fuzzy" hook and loop surface.  I recently replaced the sanding pad and the new one (just like the old one) has a plastic surface that holds marginally well.  My sanding disks shift around.  Normal paper disks seems to hold better than the Abranet disks. Does anyone else have this problem?  Any suggestions on which sanding disk works best with this sander?  Any advice would be appreciated.

doc henderson

I have the DC210 DeWalt ROS.  I was given sanding disks in Amazon basic brands to try, and also use dura gold, and used to use shop smith carried by Lowes.  they all work on this pad, and it is all I can do to remove the sanding disk.

I am suspending the sander in the air with a 6-amp hour batt in it.  It is all I can do to hold it up by the bit that is open I had to hold the sander in the other hand to get enough loose to hold it with a few fingers.  it holds tough.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

Maybe one of the "kids" tried sanding something with no disc on there.  That would do a number on the hooks.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Woodey

The fine sanding sawdust can clog up the pad over time causing the sandpaper not to hook to the pad. I remember reading a tip in one of the woodworking magazine years ago to use a LICE EGG COMB to clean the pad with.
WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

Larry

I ordered a couple of pads for the sander three months ago.  Put the first one on two months ago and have used the sander lightly just a few times.  Yesterday the new pad flew off and is the one on the left in the picture.  Put on another new pad and went to Amazon to order more.  The one on the right was delivered a little while ago.

If you look at the picture the one on the left that flew off has a plastic backing and the mounting screws pulled through it.  The new one has a metal back plate.  Its a few dollars more but if it lasts longer than a couple of months it will be worth it.

My Dynabrade is a beast and doesn't have these problems.  Neither does my old Bosch but its big and awkward to use.  I'm putting a Festool on my too buy list.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Oth

You can get a pad saver which sticks to your original pad (assuming it's not worn out) and then you stick you hook and loop discs to that. Much cheaper to replace than the whole pad especially once you get into the realm of more expensive sanders. Check out the Mirka before you pull the trigger on the festool. Way more ergonomic imo. Paddle operated vs switch

East ky logging

Like Larry said I also ordered the pads with the metal plate and it has lasted longer than the original.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

Larry

Life is too short to put up with a crappy sander and the Dewalt pushed me over the edge.  I got a Festool about a month ago.  Excellent dust collection and feels good in use.

My old Dynabrade on the left.  By far the easiest to use with the best results but its noisy, poor dust collection, and power is a large air compressor.  Center is the new Festool, and on the right is the junker.  I liked the Mirka better than the Festool but I read some bad reviews about customer service and breakdowns.

Oth

I have the rotex festool and the Mirka. The Mirka is hands down a better sander. Handles like the dynabrade ergonomically. The festool is weighted all wrong, a great example of reinventing the wheel imo. I've been running Mirkas for going on 10 years I've never had a single issue. Planning on selling the festool and getting a 3 1/2" Mirka.

Broncman

Not to turn this thread into a sander brand war, but I have 2 Porter Cable, a Dewalt and broke down  and bought the Festool setup with the HEPA vac and all.
Bought the iron shape mouse type and the orbitals.

It hurt my wallet, but holy cow, I LOVE these things!

My bar and kitchen counter tops are butcher block. I refinished them with zero dust and plenty of power to make it a quick job! I do not regret a single dime of the Festool purchases.
Frontier OS31 bandsaw mill
Dehumidifier Kiln with sanitize heat,
Honda Pioneer 1000-5
Stihl and Huskies...

Thank You Sponsors!