iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shingle oak, is it sold as a red oak?

Started by Mark hershey, August 09, 2023, 06:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark hershey

Starting my road to log my place. Been here 24 years and only cut 4 wheeler trails. Going to make a main trail down the center as i figure out a game plan, also i plan to get a sawmill and like sell on Craigslist. BUT, i dont have one yet and need to sell the stuff I'm taking down. Main trees i have is white/red oak, hickory, walnut, maples, beech, elm, cherry, and my favorite trees i have and hate to cut because of the low prices, yellow tulip. Huge, straight, tall. Also my second favorite tree is eastern red cedar. I'm having a hard time pushing even the small ones into the burn pile and cutting logs(5"x16'). Love that wood.

But, i ran across an oak i have no ideal about. Shingle oak. It says it's a red oak. Is this sold as a red oak?  Will buyers know what this is? Any info, cause I'm going through a spot with a bunch and pretty large.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

~Ron

firefighter ontheside

Lots of shingle oak around here, including the one right outside my door.  Yes they are cut and sold as red oak.  I have milled some and I could not really tell the difference from northern red oak by looking at the wood.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!