iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Douglas Fir for Utility Pole ?

Started by KEC, August 12, 2023, 09:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEC

I have a Douglas Fir in my backyard that I'm thinking of cutting down, too close to the house and too tall. If I de-barked it and set it in the ground for a utility pole, how long might it last? How might I treat it to last? 

SwampDonkey

If not pressure treated maybe 8 years. I know balsam will break down quicker than spruce, you could step on what looks solid and your foot would fall through it like it was sponge and doesn't take 10 years. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Best to have it pressure treated if it is to be used as a utility pole. If it will not be carrying a lot of line weight it could be hand painted or sprayed with one of the locally approved EPA wood preservatives which there are a number of them available. Creosote use to be the old standby but it is no longer used for environmental reasons.

~Ron

KEC

Thanks for the responses, I would not be using it for utility wires.

beenthere

Do you have a pic of the tree you are talking about? 

You say it will be a utility pole, but no utility wires? 

A brush-on coating of about any preservative legal in NY would possibly help prevent some decay. How much it would help, would be anyone's guess. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Old Greenhorn

Not to be a fatalist, but you don't say what sneaky plan is afoot for this 'utility pole with no utilities on it". :D
 I sometimes, well perhaps too often, build something I need that I know won't last more than a few years with the thought that 'it's just an idea I wanna try' or 'I'll probably replace it with a proper solution later, if it works', but in any case I just know that it will fail eventually and don't have any skin in the game as far as 'risk'.
 So if your pole won't hurt anything when it fails, what's the harm in trying? If there is risk to humans or property, OR there is a lot of work/expense involved in doing whatever it is, then I guess you have to weight that out for your own satisfaction.
 For instance, if it was to hold up a bird nesting platform on the edge of a field and it won't kill anyone if it falls, then it's an easy call. But if it can fall and split your shed into a two room shack with a skylight, that might be different. :)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

KEC

OG, They say great minds think alike. Maybe utility pole was a poor choice of describing what I want to use it for.  Maybe I should call it a tall post to which I would attach a box for bats, kestrels, or screech-owls. I did some searching and found that doug fir is used for utility poles with the recomendation that it be treated. How long/tall it would be would depend on how I could set it in the ground. No rush.

SwampDonkey

I put up a treated post for the bats on the back of the woodlot by a beaver pond. I know the bears like to climb it. I've got monkey bears. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!