iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What the... Have you ever?

Started by Jeff, August 30, 2023, 09:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Saw a bottle like this?  

I don't feel it is incredibly old, but it is incredibly durable. It survived getting, (fictitious account) thrown from a late 1950s dodge truck with one headlight and a taped up vent window and missing muffler, at about 2:15 in the morning on the way home from the Raber bay bar 2 days before buck season after an evening of drinking and table shuffleboard. It just missed the large rocks used to make the road bed and settled into the fresh fallen snow on N.Caribou Lake rd.  Over the years it filled with sediment and small rodent hair, and absorbed into the earth, and was lost to mankind. 

This week, it survived the mulching of the tag alder roots and choke cherry, and wild clematis vines and earth surrounding it and was brough back to the surface.

While inspecting the newly mulched area, I spied what I though was a broken long neck of a beer bottle sticking out of the slash. I bent over and picked it up to find this whole bottle.  Long story short, I can not find ANY examples of it on the internet. What did I find??

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doc henderson

looks like Jos Schlitz brewing company.  can you type out what is on the bottom?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Jeff

I know its a schlitz bottle, because it says so. The bottom says Not to be refilled. No deposit no return.  I can not find another example of that bottle stlye or label. Plus its heavy and the label is impregnated into the glass.

doc henderson

Jos. Schlitz Brewing Company of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - Tavern Trove

this group of photos has part of that label pictured.

1895 to 1900.  they advertised the brown bottle for purity.  the light degraded the beer.

doc henderson

It seems to have a logo on the label and the bottom in the glass, that looks a little like a harp.  hard to see.  great mystery.

chet

Twist off cap?  The fact that it is non refillable would appear to date it during our drinkin' days.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

rusticretreater

On the bottom it says no deposit no return plus manufacturing information.

Looks like the original pony bottle one can carry in their pocket on in a lunch pail.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Jeff

Hilltop366

Searching "Schlitz 1849 malt lager" shows cans with that label but no bottles.

So no help with that but the thread does confirm the bottle washer portion of chief cook and bottle washer.

doc henderson

this image from 1968 has features of the bottle.  the circular label parts and a bull with 3 lines behind.  no bottle that looked like that.  the label must be foil, not paper.

doc henderson

never saw that bottle in all the ad photos.  they did have a paper milk carton style for use at large events.

Jeff

doc henderson

Old Greenhorn

I am guessing it is a limited edition or commemorative edition. Sometime in the mid to later 60's because of the 'no deposit' stuff. I believe this is around the time they started to include plastic into the glass to make it more durable, but it also made it non-refillable.
 I too did some heavy searching and could not find an example of it. 1849 was the year the company was founded.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Resonator

Was that the bottle that: "Sally was sippin' on the seashore?" ???
(Old saying). ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

chet

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on August 30, 2023, 10:36:49 AM
Sometime in the mid to later 60's because of the 'no deposit' stuff.
Not necessarily. Rather than stamp or cast the return on bottles, many times they would include a paper collar on the neck of the bottle, with that info.
Jeff, how many ounces is it?  My guess is it was the bottle version of the Schlitz Malt in shorty cans.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Aren't you the Chief Bottle Washer?
You get paid the same....carry on and don't drop it! 😂😂😂
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

doc henderson

I get it, 300 bucks is a goat unit of value.! :)

SGU  see forum dictionary.

SwampDonkey

See a bunch of Schlitz bottles on ebay, but none like that. Not even the shape.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Thanks for finding that Bert. I went to ebay and searched it.

ebay Schlitz Malt Liquor Bottle
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bert

I wanted to, but could not bring myself to pay for bid history.  :D I hoped it was worth a fortune though!
Saw you tomorrow!

chet

Ding Ding Ding I win   8)   :D

Thank You Sponsors!