iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DEF for low-cost nitrogen fertilizer

Started by beenthere, September 05, 2023, 11:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Just learned that DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) is just urea and water. Will likely give it a try next time I spray the yard and see how well it works mixed in with 30 gal of water. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doc henderson

I guess you could just pee in the tank.   8) :o
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

chevytaHOE5674

Your DEF supplier must be cheap. Your buying 67.6% water when your buying DEF. Even way UP here in the wilderness other forms of fertilizer are much cheaper than buying DEF.

beenthere

What are those other forms of nitrogen that are cheaper? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

Granular 46-0-0 at a local co-op should be way cheaper than DEF fluid.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chevytaHOE5674

Locally DEF is $12 per gallon. There's 1.36lb of N in 1 gallon. So that's $8.63 per lb of actual N if I'm thinking correctly.

Locally you can by a 33lb bag of 34-0-0 for ~$30. So there's 11.22lb of actual N in that bag. So once again if my math is correct that's $2.63 per pound of N.

doc henderson

you can take 55-gallon plastic barrels and get it by the skid steer bucket load.  been a while but very cheap.  they have potassium and phosphate also most places.  (the PO4 is getting harder to get due to overuse and run off pollution).
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

Urea granules from the garden centre. Bulk cost is about NZ$900 per ton, but of course you pay a bit more for handy "lawn" sized packs. $10.82 (NZ) currently for this 750gram bag. 

Overuse of fertiliser is an issue and leads to water quality issues downstream. The local fertiliser companies are getting better with soil testing services and developing plans for farmers, using different schedules and products for different areas of a farm. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!