iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finishing touches...

Started by Daburner87, September 25, 2023, 08:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daburner87

This is my current project.  The large slab is my fireplace mantle and the small slabs are floating shelves for each side.  So far Im pretty happy with them and sanded to to 690 grit.  I spent so much time sanding these, especially the natural imperfections.

The finishing touches are what worries me.  So far I've applied a coat of boiled linseed oil, and plan to do another coat tonight, and then use a scotch brite pad, and then do a coat of Howards feed and wax.  Does that sound good?  I havr very little experience with finishing oils, stains, waxing etc...

HM130Max Woodlander XL

beenthere

Looks like a good project.
What is the history of the large fireplace mantle slab? 
Hoping it is dry, and what is the thickness?

Side note; your pic as posted is 90° from upright. You can fix that by going to your gallery and edit the pics that are off 90°
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Daburner87

I bought about 5 or 6 of these ERC slabs from a guy off craigslist for $50 about 3-4 years ago. They were drying in his shed for over 5 years and sat in my basement for at least 2. It's these slabs that inspired me to get a sawmill in 2021.  My daughter was born around that same time and I just haven't had much time for woodworking or milling, but I've been acquiring tools over that time period and setting up my workshop, and now with a planer, sander, 12in sliding miter saw, dust collection etc... I feel like I'm actually ready to get to work in an efficient manor.  So this the start of it all really.  I've applied 2 coats of boiled linseed oil and it is thirsty wood.  Probably doing another coat tonight.
HM130Max Woodlander XL

Old Greenhorn

Just remember that linseed oil is not a finish, it's more of a treatment and will continue to soak in until saturated. It does seem to help repel moisture and makes ERC look really nice. I made this potting bench last year and I lay on a coat of Lindseed at the beginning of the season and again at the end of the season before I store it in the garage for the winter.

But I also make these small boxes from ERC and I hand rub them with Tung Oil Finish which presents a lot better (I think) for indoor up close applications.

We had a discussion here on the forum in the last two years or so about Linseed Oil and that's where I learned what I know. It was, of course, buried in an unrelated thread IIRC.
Looking food though, nice clear wood.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Daburner87

Came out ok overall but the color didnt pop quite as much due to the sap wood, but I had to use what I had.  Also built the side chests with red oak and some brazilian woods on top.   

HM130Max Woodlander XL

Thank You Sponsors!