iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar kiln build (help me)

Started by burdman_22, October 12, 2023, 11:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

burdman_22

Starting on a solar kiln build today. Roughly building the Virginia tech one (slightly larger dimensions for 16 ft long boards). Question my dad asked. 

Is it necessary to use treated plywood on the walls of the kiln? Has anyone used reg osb with any success?

rastis

When I built mine I used standard plywood, which was then coated with black water proofing material to increase heat generation in the chamber and protect the material from moisture. Unfortunately I don't remember what I used for the coating.

burdman_22

Any problems with rot or anything? And did you use regular plywood both inside and outside? No treated anywhere (we're gonna use treated for the floor)

doc henderson

the outside could ventilate a bit, (like lap siding) incase moisture gets into your fiberglass insulation.  assuming you are not using foam.  OSB has a rough surface and may hold the waterproof roof coating well, but if some gets moisture, swells and flakes off you will have to recoat.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

burdman_22

Sounds good. I went the osb route. Will post pictures as we make progress on it. Hope to have it finished Monday.

burdman_22

Not much done today, flew into ky this afternoon, so after buying supplies didn't have a ton of time for work.

burdman_22

doc henderson

very nice work so far.  what are the final dimensions?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

burdman_22

Inside will be about 18x6x6.

burdman_22

We didn't get as much as we wanted done today. Floor is done, back wall is built, plywood on one side. Hopefully tomorrow is more productive, we've got all of our materials now, but we'll be struggling with weather tomorrow until about noon.

In the picture of the sunset, you can see two deer in the field. I took a picture with my phone, not great, but looks like a pretty big guy. It was either a 6 or an 8.

thecfarm

Glad I clicked onto this tread.
Nice deer!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

teakwood

good luck with your kiln. it's a good investment. i have a great success story with my kiln and it's making me money. 

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=121021.0

What a beautiful place you have! congratulations, this autumn pic of the house is just gorgeous. 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

burdman_22

Quote from: teakwood on October 14, 2023, 08:30:16 AM
good luck with your kiln. it's a good investment.....

What a beautiful place you have! congratulations, this autumn pic of the house is just gorgeous.
Not my place, my parents, but thank you, I love it here. They've got a great spot for sunsets

burdman_22

Unrelated to kilns, my dad and I went to Buffalo Trace this morning and bought some Blanton's. 

Walnut Beast

That will help you relax after a hard day

burdman_22

Won't help me, I dont drink, I just buy for friends in Alabama

beenthere

Looks like you have a lot of friends you bought for.  8) :snowball:
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

burdman_22

Those are just strangers. Since my dad was with me I was allowed to buy two. Can't buy anymore for three months (one per three months).

Pictures of me and my wife's cabin (the kiln is to dry the wood for our flooring, quartersawn red oak and quartersawn sycamore).

Got back wall up, bout to get header on above the doors, rain holding us up a little.

burdman_22

Done for the day. Got our rafter pattern cut, so rafters, walls, doors and roof tomorrow. Any cons to putting access doors on each end? Or one end maybe?

burdman_22

So, question about drying my wood. I plan to put all of my loads of lumber through before planing and putting tongue and groove on it. What can I do with the lumber after kiln drying? If I dead stack it outside will it regain much moisture? I know it would be best to process right after coming out of the kiln, but I really need to get it all dried first.

doc henderson

If it is down to say 7% you can dead stack and wrap tightly with plastic, and it will stay 7%.  dead stacked unwrapped and the outer layers will gain moisture say up to 12% or whatever your EMC is, but it will start from the outside and cup the boards most in contact with the air.  put it in any conditioned space, AC in summer, or heat in winter, and it will stay fine.  doors are fine but it is another point to have air leaks.  so, 2 doors, more potential for leaks.  but handy!  I use a container with fans and a dehumidifier.

burdman_22

Unrelated to my kiln build, but I thought folks might be interested in seeing the inside of a cabin my dad built a while back.

burdman_22

We got the sheathing on around the entire kiln today. Rafters up. We're gonna put on the lathing tomorrow before I head to the airport. The rest will be up to my dad.

We were concerned about the kiln blowing away/over, so we decided to add a couple of posts beside each door. The posts are 6x6s, with about 24 inches of concrete in each hole, and criss-crossing rebar through the bottom. We get some pretty bad wind on the hill sometimes, and the kiln is oriented perfectly to catch the wind.

scsmith42

It's best if you can store the kiln dried lumber in a humidity controlled building.  Temp is not important, just keep the RH% around 50% - 60%.

You might want to inlet some angle bracing into the shear wall about your doors.  This will help keep the header from sagging.  

When I built my 20' wide solar kilns, I used a quasi-parallel chord truss design above the doors to help prevent sag.  Additionally, the external plywood was glued and screwed into place over the truss in order to help prevent sag.    It was lag bolted to triple 2x12's ganged together for the header.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

burdman_22

Yeah, I think we'll keep the lumber in our cabin after dried, ac and stuff should be hooked up and running by then.

Sounds like dad doesn't think the angle braces are necessary, we used a 4x8 as the header. He figured there isn't enough weight on top to really be a problem with the plywood screwed into the header like it is.

Thank You Sponsors!