iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your longest still active customer?

Started by Magicman, October 12, 2023, 02:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I sawed for a customer on 6-16-2003, (20 years) and I have sawed for him many times since.  He is a builder and he called for my sawing schedule this morning.  This "whole house" job will be quite large, but I have not seen the cut list yet.  They started falling and skidding today.

I have been sawing for this week's customer since 6-25-09, (14 years) and his cut list is also for a "whole house".

Maybe I need to hang a leg off of the Operator's Seat to slow down.   ::)  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

not a customer as such, but a client.  1966.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

terrifictimbersllc

Three of my most notable repeat customers are no longer, they bought their own bandmills. 
Guess I made it look easy.  :D  

A fourth mostly retired his business. 

Currently, several repeat customers go back about 12 years, I saw for them maybe every 12-18 months. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Crossroads

My first mobile customer has had me back several times and is waiting for me to make another trip back to the homeland to do some more milling for him. Last time I was there, he took me on a tour of his house and showed me the places where he used the lumber that I had milled for him. Some of the decking from the first trip there was embarrassing to see, but he was perfectly happy with it 🙈
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

You reminded me that my "longest" customer took me through his house this past year and showed me some of the lumber that I sawed for him back in 2003.  It was amazing.

Yes, I also have had customers to buy their own sawmills and are sawing but I do not consider them as competitors. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

I have one that I could saw for again but I'm trying not too!  I know he tried calling this spring but his Parkinson's makes it near impossible to understand him now and he may have just but dialed.  Great guy, was an awesome builder of multi million dollar homes and I first milled for him around 2017 if my memory is right, and milled for him a dozen times over the years.

A have a few others that I've milled for several times and it seems like all businesses, you keep the customer happy and they keep you happy :D

Make good lumber at a good pace in a distance place and you'll be camping there again is what I say ;)

Cheers
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

opticsguy

Purchased my TK 1220 way back in 2010 and had a customer right away!!  He has requested just about every type and size and shape of wood you can imagine and continues to make orders now, even 13 years later. He ordered lumber to build a 16'x40' building to store wood and stay organized.  His building is now almost full and yet he keeps ordering more and more wood!!!!

Guess maybe it is time for ME to stop "ordering" wood and use up what I have.  :-)
Oh; wait!!  Another tree just became available, dead and still standing with great color and patterns within. OK, Ok, OK, I will "order" and cut one more . . . . . . . .
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Andries

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Stephen1

I am always amazed at the repeat calls I get.  I sawed this past spring a 3rd time for a gentlemen 1st sawed for 12 years ago. He call this spring and asked if I was still sawing. Then he asked if my price was the same. Noooooo, that's why I'm still in Buisness. I charged him back then $65 an hr. This time it is $135 plus 1.75 a KLM travel both ways. No problems was his answer when can you schedule me Please. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

sealark37

Since I parked my mill for good, I have worn out, (buried), three expert sawyers.  All were good friends, and sorely missed.  Folks still call me to find a sawyer,  and I am sure there are some around, but they are unknown to me. Time marches on.

Thank You Sponsors!