iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dust collector choices

Started by Stevenjohn21, November 25, 2023, 08:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevenjohn21

I've gone way too long without one so this weekend I've decided to start looking for one. 
Grizzly has its G0548ZP 2hp canister filter on offer at the moment and with 1700 CFM and 1 micron, it seems for $600 it's a good deal. When I look at high end brands like powermatic, Laguna etc none of them offer 1 micron with equivalent CFM unless I pay $$$$ for their top models. 
Is grizzly over exaggerating these numbers or is this model just an exceptionally good deal for the money? 

I'm in a 2 car garage so I really need something that doesn't take up a lot of space and ideally mobile. Interested in what others are using or recommendations. 

21incher

I have used that one for about 17 years now and paid that same price back then. The filter plugs very quickly with fine dust from sanding because of the low efficiency of the cyclone and fine filter.  I finally added a super dust deputy with a 55 gallon drum just using the blower and filter that has basically eliminated the frequent filter cleaning. It works good for basically one machine at a time.  Mine is the old green one from Taiwan and check  that they haven't switched them over to Chinese manufacturing that caused me to quit buying from Grizzly. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Stevenjohn21

Quote from: 21incher on November 25, 2023, 10:07:33 PM
I have used that one for about 17 years now and paid that same price back then. The filter plugs very quickly with fine dust from sanding because of the low efficiency of the cyclone and fine filter.  I finally added a super dust deputy with a 55 gallon drum just using the blower and filter that has basically eliminated the frequent filter cleaning. It works good for basically one machine at a time.  Mine is the old green one from Taiwan and check  that they haven't switched them over to Chinese manufacturing that caused me to quit buying from Grizzly.
It's really only going to be used for jointer, planer and bandsaw. I was planning on getting one of the quick connects so that I could switch the hose from one machine to another when needed although, I'm sure that will get old fast.
If you could redo would you get a different DC ?

21incher

At that price range it seems to be the best value with a good static pressure and should work good with the tools you mentioned.  My problem was a small thickness sander that plugged the bag very quick because there is very little  cyclone action in the system so the fine light dust stays in the air and heads up into the filter.  A good cyclone system seperates the dust and drops it into the collection bin leaving very little dust heading into the filter.  First I tried  the Grizzly cyclone and drum that goes in the suction line but that turned out being junk for fine  dust because they put a cross tube in the cyclone path changing the cyclone action letting fine dust through.  Then I switched to a Oneida  super dust deputy with a 55 gallon drum and no more problem because of the high efficiency of their cyclones.
For the price the Grizzly is a great start and the parts can be used in an upgrade later on.  If you want a higher efficiency system Oneida has some nice setups at premium pricing.
Those Grizzly cannister filters are not fun to clean and that flapper inside they call a cleaner really just knocks some dust off the center so removing the fine dust ahead of it makes life easier. The unit is fairly loud like everything that moves that amount of air so keep it as far away from the tools as possible.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Old Greenhorn

Collecting fines is always where the problems crop up. With your planned usage the fines should be minimum because your aren't running a drum sander or something of that sort. Your stuff makes "chips" mostly.
 I run a 2hp Grizzly that is apparently no longer offered, mine has no plastic bags, both are cloth. But I took a strong hint from 21 when I installed it for several reasons. I have mine in a second floor loft and carrying those heavy bags down the stairs is rough on an old man, so I put in a pre-sep unit down on the shop floor.
 The photo below is just before I had everything connected. There is a main line that runs along the shop ceiling connecting the major machines which then drops right through the floor down to the pre-collection cannister, then returns back up to the blower and into the final collection bags.

Not shown above is the pre-collection can on the ground floor:

In operation, MOST of the chips and dust get caught in that garbage can and about 5-10% make it back upstairs to the bag. I empty the bottom can about every 8-12 months, and the bags up top I empty when it is less than half full, or about every 2 years. The system supports my RAS, TS, and table router primarily, and I also have a hose on it for cleaning up from time to time, like a vacuum cleaner. I do not run it on my planer, which would fill it up pretty quick. For the planer and jointer I have a smaller stand alone unit that has about a 15 gallon bag and is plenty heavy enough to empty. I have few fines floating around my shop and never have floaters or clouds. The fines I do get can only be found on flat surfaces and I suspect they are 'escapees' that never got sucked into the system, or from hand belt sanders, etc. It's a very small amount anyway. I can do finishing work in one area of the floor and be cutting wood on the other part without worrying about dust on the drying finishes.

As for that separator, go to the Grizzly site and search for 'woodstock dust collection'. I have the 30 gallon size. It is made to fit a specific brand and size of American made steel trash can. Last I checked, certain TSC locations were carrying that brand and size. The covers are on sale at Grizzly until Thursday.
 Best of luck with your project!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

rusticretreater

I have been using a Thien baffle collector for years.  IMO its better than a cyclone in that the baffle fits into the head of the collector can where the cyclone and collector can take up much more space.  Only the finest of the fines make it to the dust collector.  I keep some of it in jars to use when fixing gaps in wood projects.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Broncman

I have almost the same setup as Old Grenhorn. Even the same barrel and collector top. This has eliminated my bag and filter changes. I run a drum sander, band saw, joiner, planer, table saw and have blast gates. 

I think the barrel top was like 30 bucks and it works with a 30 Gallon Steel trash can.
Frontier OS31 bandsaw mill
Dehumidifier Kiln with sanitize heat,
Honda Pioneer 1000-5
Stihl and Huskies...

Thank You Sponsors!