iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Edging a board

Started by kkcomp, December 03, 2023, 05:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkcomp

So like most of us I have a limited budget and have to pick and choose what tools I get. While milling my logs I try to get everything as close to dimensional as I can. This of course leaves a variety of boards with rounded or jagged edges. For edging these on a budget to get say a 1x6 what is the best way? I have a Dewalt portable table saw and space is at a premium. I am trying to decide if I should get a better table saw or a band saw. Both would do this job but which do you think would be better in the long run? Budget is 800-1200. Most boards are 8-12 foot length.
Why is there never time to do it right but always time to do it over?
Rework is the bane of my existence
Norwood HD38 Kubota B3300HSU Honda Rancher many Stihl and Echo saws, JCB 1400b Backhoe

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

maineshops

With my limited operation I edge on the mill or use the track saw. If I use the track saw I edge one side and then run the other side on the table saw. Dan
Phil:4, 13

scsmith42

In order of preference:

1 - dedicated edger
2 - straight line rip saw
3 - edge on sawmill
4 - track saw
5 - tablesaw with edging guide
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Brad_bb

There was also a video a few years back at least, where a guy(who was a wood boat builder) had a dedicated wood bench set up to use a regular circ saw to straight edge boards.  I was considering this at one point, but in the end it takes up too much space for me.  I try to do all my edging on the mill.  If you've kiln dried boards and the develop crown, I then use my track saw to straight line edge them.  I just found that old video it:
How to set-up a custom work bench for wood working - YouTube
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

dean herring

I have a Cooks edger I am considering selling
It only has 150 hrs on it
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Brad_bb

You edge on the mill just to make neat lumber to stack.  Once boards are kiln dried, you typically wan to surface both faces and edge at least one edge.  The track saw (like a festool) will give you a glue line quality rip.  That is what you need to build something.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Rhodemont

Dean H<  tell us about the edger
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Southside

Ahem - there is a section for that.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!