iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New user, planning 30x40 bank barn

Started by Jpd, January 16, 2024, 09:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jpd

greetings all

I am a new user to the forum, I have been reading this board for a while now.  I am planning a 30x40 bank barn, and would love to post what I have drawn in sketch and open it up for comment from some of the more experienced users here.  I still have a lot of work to do on the model but it is substantially there.  I have begun working with an engineer to go over numbers, but I am providing him with the sketchup model to work from. 

Property is in Westport, MA. Snow loading 45, wind 110.  Frame will be Eastern white pine with hardwood braces, species tbd.  I need to find locally suitable sill material.  We have black locust but finding it straight in length can be tricky.  Im open to other options for sills.  I will be doing the bulk of the work, with help where needed.  Will sub out the concrete work.  I have a local sawmill that has cut frames before.

I would like to use common rafters, as I will have minimal help in assembly, but I am open to other roof framing if it makes sense.  Roof pitch is 8/12.

This will be a workshop.  I have not decided on heat yet but will insulate, probably 2 alternating layers 1.5-2" foam on the walls, 3 layers on roof.

Open to suggestions on window placement.  I initially drew horizontal wall framing but may change that to vertical framing, and horizontal shiplap for the interior wall. 

I could use help choosing a sill corner joint, and what splice joints to use and where.  seems like there are a lot of options in the books, but I haven't found a good explanation of the why.

As I said I have been reading this board a lot, and I really appreciate all of your attention to each others projects...  I would love any and all input on this model.  Please ask any questions as they come up.

I hope this attachment goes through, let me know if it doesn't, or if another format is better. 

Thanks
JP

On edit...  how would I share my model?  Just read in the shared plans section that newer members can't upload files?  Ill start with a few screen shots of the model below...

/Users/jpderoy/Documents/DeRoy Barn.skp

Ljohnsaw

Nice!

Very similar to my cabin build. I'd think you would need to take those two center posts and the front two down to the foundation to carry the load. Or maybe line them all up?

I was going to do lap joints on my sill corners but redid as butt joints.

For your foundation walls, have you considered products like FasWall? They are ICF made from 85% wood fiber (chopped up pallets) and 15% Portland cement. After setting the first course in mortar, the rest is dry stacked and go up really fast with rebar placed as you go.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Chilterns

Would FasWall be considered as being a wooden foundation ?

C.

Jpd

Ljohnsaw,

my apologies, that was a redraw of my model and I completely forgot the center basement posts!  And the basement end wall has two posts to carry the end wall to he footing.  Also, the footing at the open end wall will likely go to frost depth, but that's another item for the engineer.

Thanks for the reminder, I will update that today.

I am not aware of fasblock, will look into it.  Foundation will be completely backfilled three sides, so I'll run it by the engineer but my guess is it's going to end up being concrete. 

Jp

Ljohnsaw

The FasWall is concrete filled and is used for basements. The main advantages are it's fast and easy -you can do it and save a lot of money on installation. You also get some insulation along with it. Tools required are a circular saw, impact driver and a level.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!