iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ripper 37 blades for mill

Started by Jclarke, February 01, 2024, 08:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclarke

Anyone use the Ripper 37 blades on a sawmill ? Just wanting to see a review or two .... good or bad please.

Nebraska

I have used 7 degree rippers, I like 4 degree kasco���s better. � I���ve used the Rippers for a few utility poles, Cotton wood and White Pine, just odd stuff. They cut ok.�

duffdav

I tried one box of 12. They cut fine and seemed to hold their sharpness well as claimed but the heat tempered teeth are so brittle nearly every tooth broke when set.

The dealer said they have to be set lower toward the tooth base. This helped but I was glad when they all were gone.

DanielW

Very happy with the Ripper 37, 7 degrees for Maple. Mainly use a circle mill here, but occasionally use a band mill when I really need to maximize recovery. They cut well, stay sharp for far longer, and don't dive of jump in the cut. You do lose a little travel speed with the 7 degrees, but still worth it.

Gere Flewelling

As far as sharpening is concerned, they look like good bands at first glance. The teeth are very sensitive to snapping off without setting low on the tooth plus there is excess weld on the bottom of the band that hangs up on sharpening equipment requiring grinding to correct. Not my favorite for that reason.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Jclarke

Thank you all, nothing like good honest reviews ...just the information I was looking for.
Do you guys have any favorite brands that have worked for you ?  Just so you know I'm cutting.mostly Fir, larch and some pine.

Nebraska

4 degree  .045 Kasco's. I have a relatively low hp mill and they have done the best as far as not diving up or down and  giving straight and smooth cuts, even through knots and twisted grain. I'm sure Woodmizers 4 degree would perform similarly.  Just get good service from "Richard".. ;)

barbender

I run Woodmizer Silvertip Turbo 7/39°, .045x1½" for everything. Sometimes I'll run some .055" in the same blades as well. They work well on everything for me, the Silvertips seem equal to the Doublehard for less money. I just get them from Woodmizer because it's simple, I go online and click on what they need and they come in a few days. 

I know others have had issues with WM blades at times but I've never had a single problem, nothing but top quality. The teeth are sequenced correctly at the weld, and the welds are straight.
Too many irons in the fire

ladylake

I tried a box of Ripper 37 ,not a bad blade but didn't live up to the hype. Lately I've been running Kasco or Simonds.  Ive never found any blade that was way better than the rest.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

barbender

I haven't either, Ladylake. The main difference to me is if the teeth are sequenced properly if possible, and the weld is aligned and spaced properly. Simple but more than many suppliers can seem to get right. The blade shouldn't vibrate because of the weld, and should be able to run through sharpening equipment without the feed pawl on your sharpener not picking up the tooth at the weld because it's not spaced right. 

I have come to the conclusion that a lot of places put the new guy on blade welding.

Outside of those issues, the only blades that I've ever got that were duds out of the box were Simonds back before they started grinding the teeth. They were just broached (stamped) and not too sharp. I've since tried some of their "Pre-sharps" and they cut well. 

I find it kind of comical how Simond's marketing turned what was a lacking manufacturing process and spun it as a plus..."our blades are pre-sharpened!". So what, everyone's blades are ground now, welcome to the party. It's kinda like bragging about having indoor plumbing😁

barbender

Oh also, I don't appreciate getting blades that are made of multiple pieces either.

Thank You Sponsors!