iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pond Minnow spawning habitat

Started by Jeff, May 22, 2024, 09:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I hate it when I lose a detailed post. Yea, it happens to me to. Anyhow,  I present to you my minnow habitat hatchery nursery. 

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Old Greenhorn

Never seen that before. Great idea. Did you come up with this yourself Jeff, or is it a known design? Either way I am looking forward to see your observations.
 Onward and upward!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jeff

I watched hundreds of pond videos, and there was a snippet of one of these in the middle of one. He just said what it was. I looked all over for it again but couldn't find it again. So, short answer, not my idea, but it needed more exposure. I found another milk crate stack video, but that was it. No pipes in his.

Jeff

Turns out a standard brick will slide snuggly into a pipe. I shoved 2 in, and deployed it where I dug out the pond connecting channel. It's not near as deep there, and I may have a better chance finding it in a few weeks when I put a go pro down to check it out. That is if I can find my gopro. Aint used it in 2 years.

YellowHammer

Nice.  That should work well.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

Quote from: Jeff on May 22, 2024, 09:21:40 AMI hate it when I lose a detailed post.
I lost that long and detailed tree take down post in my "porch" topic in the General board yesterday.  LINK

When I was ready to post it, I got a notice that my 30 day login had expired and that I needed to log back in.  I desperately tried to retain it but it would not happen.  I finally salvaged the text, and then had to go back and make the pictures match.  I finally deleted two pictures from the gallery and made the best of it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

I like your minnow habitat hatchery nursery.  It seems like a good idea and should be successful.  :thumbsup:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Glad to see you are enjoying your pond!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

~Ron

TimW

I like that idea Jeff!  Thanks for posting it.  I need two of those so my Fathead minnows can establish before the ducks and catfish eat them all.  Great nursery habitat.  I got plenty of milk crates.
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

NewYankeeSawmill

Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to see the go pro videos!
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

Jeff

I can spot the habitat when the pond is still so I know where it is. I'll probably wait until mid summer to try and get a look how its doing.

Thank You Sponsors!