iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My timber frame toys

Started by kikunak, May 31, 2024, 03:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kikunak

In my hobby of the making furniture, building my timber frame, I had an experience of making wooden toys in timber frame style without any glue with real timber joints. 
 The first "building" was the shed. 
I used beech wood for all models. 

At first the layout and cutting tennons:

Making mortise with router and cutting corners with a chisel

Try-on

It was rather difficult to cut mortise on a rafter. Its width is about 2.5 mm (1/10"). I made it on circular saw table with help of conductor. 

And all the frame

kikunak

The next idea was timber frame house in alpen chalet style (I know, that is is impossible, but I want to make disassembable model.

At first the frame:

Then I have added a balcony - every alpen chalet must have one

Then I tried different ways to make the wall with the windows.
The first idea was using dovetail joint to secure planking.

The is growing

Making of doors and windows

Installed balcony door:

The door and door frame:

Installed in the wall:

I tried to make scarf joint in the interior:

And some views of the entire house:

All composition with my first water well model.

The second water well model will be posted a little later.

P.S. More details:

thecfarm

They look good.
Kinda hard to tell, are the houses about a foot tall?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

Ray, I think they are on really big tables! :wink_2: ffsmiley
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

kikunak

The shed is 9,5 inches high
The chalet is 15 inches high.
The idea was to make it using machines with minimum manual operations like cutting with chisels.

kikunak

And the second water well model was made as a gift. 
I wanted to make a combination of timber frame and ancient Northern Russian style of wooden architecture.
So I decided to use a frame and then combine it with Northern nailles roof. And at the finish add wooden winch (there are several water wells in museums)

At that moment I had small Powermatic mortiser.

3d model:

The frame:

The roof frame. 

Making the winch was very interesting. No glue of course. It is disassemblable.

And the roof planking installed. You can see, that it is jammed between gutter and roof ridge. And the roof tidge is tightly secured on the ridge beam. 

And the entire model

Don P

That is a cute little church, from the 1300's I think. The Church of the Resurrection of Lazarus at Khizi. There are pictures online of a number of beautiful wooden churches and buildings at the open air museum there.

I think the way those buildings worked, they were the center of the community. The near end of the building was for secular community activities and local government, the center and far end were the church.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!