iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Mizer pulley problem

Started by Tim Lam, June 30, 2024, 04:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Lam

I'm fairly new to this site but I wanted to see if anyone has a proposal to fix my problem.  I have a Wood Mizer LT10.  One of the cable pulleys (the horizontal cable that controls shimmying as you push the head up and down the bed) needs replacing.  However, Wood Mizer says that they have discontinued the LT10 model so I can't get a replacement pulley that matches the one that was on the unit.  When I tighten the replacement pulley into the bracket track, the pulley won't turn.  I called Wood Mizer's headquarters in Indiana and the man there said that I'm pretty much out of luck, nothing he could do.  There's got to be a way to fix it without having to get rid of it and buying a new sawmill.  Any suggestions? 

Southside

Welcome to the Forum.  That has to be the oddest response I have ever heard coming from WM as they support versions of mills that are decades out of production.  At any rate Woodmizer didn't make that pulley, so it's out there.  Get your dimensions, axle diameter, outer diameter, inner diameter, thickness, and reach out to an industrial supply shop like Grainger, McMaster-Carr, etc.  They will have one. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Iwawoodwork

Sounds like the shoulder/axle bolt maybe to short for the new pully. Is the new pully thicker? may have to narrow the area where the bolt/axle goes thru it or a bolt with a wider shoulder.
 that is what I get from your message without a photo. 

doc henderson

I do not have a WM.  can you see what is making it not turn?  loosen it up and tighten as you turn it by hand to see if it needs a washer or something to free the outer part of the bearing or bushing.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

mudfarmer

Anyone have pics/details on " (the horizontal cable that controls shimmying as you push the head up and down the bed) "?? My LT15 doesn't have such a thing that I know of, but it does shimmy so if WM had something on a previous mill that shores it up I'd be interested in learning more...

rusticretreater

The inner race of the bearing needs to be supported so the outer part of the pulley spins.  You can probably find a sleeve at the hardware store that fits over the bolt to raise the pulley a bit off of its mounting surface. If alignment is a problem, you just grind a bit off of the sleeve.  Folks also use washers depending on how much clearance is needed.

Pictures would help. 
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

wrelacji

It's frustrating that Wood Mizer has discontinued the LT10 model, making it difficult to find a replacement pulley for your sawmill's cable system. However, there are several potential solutions to explore. Consider consulting with a local machine shop to see if they can custom-make or modify a pulley to fit your needs. Alternatively, search for aftermarket suppliers or used parts that might have compatible components. Exploring online forums or contacting Wood Mizer distributors for any remaining stock or alternative suggestions could also lead to finding a solution. With persistence and resourcefulness, you may be able to repair your sawmill without having to replace it entirely.  :snowball:

barbender

Does the entire pulley need replaced, or just a bearing?
Too many irons in the fire

doc henderson

No one should have to replace a mill just for a bad pulley.  are you mechanical or do you have a bud who is.  many folks that work on this kind of stuff, will know w source and the easiest way to fix it. wrelacji are you in Poland?  Okrzyki!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

This works best if you participate in the conversation you started. A photo and/or some details and dimensions would go a long way. There are folks here that want to help, but you have to work with us. Where are you? McMaster Carr likely has the part you might need to put something workable together and there are other companies that handle those small pulleys and bearings. It should be a fairly easy and ch3ap repair job.
 Give us something to work with.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Old Greenhorn

Try this: go to the manual here: https://apps.woodmizer.com/Manuals/EngDoc.aspx?man=sawmill%2fparts%2fpdf%2f1229.pdf and scroll down to section 5 and see if you can find the part you are looking for. Then either call WM and just ask for that part, or measure things up to find a replacement elsewhere. I for one cannot figure out which part you speak of.
 Best I can do for you, good luck.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

Can't work on it yourself?
There has to be someone in your area that works on stuff.
I delivery parts for an automotive parts store. I can think of 3 people that could fix that for you. 
They have no sign to let anyone know they work on stuff.
There has to be someone close by that works on stuff.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!