iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Decade-old stack of logs: firewood or usable?

Started by MikeOutWest, July 24, 2024, 02:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeOutWest

Before we bought our property, a wildfire came through and torched some ponderosa pines and douglas firs enough to kill them but not burn past the bark. They were cut up into to 12-16 foot lengths and stacked, and have sat there ever since. That was 10 years ago. It's quite arid and hot in the summer here, so I'm sure they're quite dry. As expected, there's a lot of cracking as the wood shrank. Obviously a lot of radial cracking, but significant tangential cracking as well in some of the logs (perhaps just checking at the ends).

Photos of the log stack are here: https://forestryforum.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=11100

I don't own a mill, but I understand enough about wood to know that it should ideally be milled green and left to dry stacked and stickered to reduce the forces trying to tear the wood apart as it dries. And I know that cutting dry wood will be a lot harder on the blade than green wood. Would it be worthwhile to hire someone with a portable mill to come cut these into timbers (8x8 or larger) for projects like a gazebo/pergola posts/beams where the cracking is tolerable? Or will the yield be so low after discarding the cruft that I might as well give it away as firewood and buy timbers from the lumberyard?

doc henderson

Welcome.  If you want to get what you can, but not waste money, I would be tempted to cut 6 inches off the end and see what things look like a bit inside the log.  if the cut off feels like Styrofoam and falls apart, go another 6 inches.  If you end up at the other end of the log with all the same results, it is firewood.   ffsmiley   welcome!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Doug fir can often withstand a forest fire.  thick bark.  8 x 8s are prob.  the most forgiving thing you can make with these.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Nebraska

Where out west? There maybe a member close that can help you. I'm sawing a little bit of white pine that has laid  too long it's probably not good for structural things but the blue stain looks interesting and will work for paneling or a desk top etc.  

barbender

The ones with the really deep checks look like firewood to me. But some of them are worth exploring. Usually, the ones more exposed, on the top of the pile will have more damage, and the ones underneath will have more moisture and be in better shape.
Too many irons in the fire

Stephen1

I'd saw them up into useable timber for sure. Especially if they are going to be used in recreational projects. Saw them into 6x6 and 8x8 
Timber frames end up with checks in their beams 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

wrelacji

Given that the logs have been sitting for 10 years in an arid environment, leading to extensive cracking, you should first assess their condition, checking for deep cracks, rot, or insect damage. Performing test cuts can help determine the quality inside. Hiring a portable mill to cut these logs into large timbers like 8x8s could be viable if the core wood is sound, although milling dry wood is harder on blades and can be costly. Consider getting a quote from a mill operator and compare this cost with purchasing new timbers. If the logs are too compromised, using them as firewood might be the most practical solution.

Ad link removed by Admin

Thank You Sponsors!