iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

For the sweet gum haters

Started by Larry, August 04, 2024, 10:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

The only good sweet gum is a dead one........ 

It's a hard sell so I've been sitting on quite a bit. Turned into stools it moves out pretty good so I decided to try a chair.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

customsawyer

That is Sweet. Great craftsmanship.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Machinebuilder

Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

ron barnes

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

Awesome chair!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I only hates Sweetgum when it sprouts/grows in my open pastures.

872BE6A8-FB1F-413D-848F-81F34EFD0054.jpeg
I have sawn hundreds of SG logs and it is unusually beautiful stuff.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

~Ron

barbender

Wow! To be fair, with that level of craftsmanship I don't think it mattered what kind of wood you built it out of👍👍
Too many irons in the fire

caveman

That is a gorgeous chair.  Sweetgum is beautiful wood, but it sometimes has a behavior problem during the drying process.  Thank you for sharing pictures of the chair.
Caveman

Mr. Buck

@Larry that's a nice looking chair!  Do you produce those by hand or is there CNC work in it?

Also, how is sweetgum to work with? Is it fairly stable?  I have a fair amount on my property. Any tips on either milling it or building furniture with it? 
Mountain Cove Woodworking
Woodmizer LT35HDG25
John Deere 4066M HD

Larry

Its all handwork.

I'll give you my impression of sweetgum but I only have limited experience with it so may not be all that accurate.

It mills very good. I air dried some in a enclosed building and it was great. I also air dried some outside with tin on top of the stack. It warped badly, I think the cause was because wind blown rain got in the stack. I had to shorten a lot of the boards to use the lumber.

Once dry, it machines well, better than oak but not as good as cherry. The wood is on the soft side. I've made a few things with it and this chair. It does seem stable. So far I've not seen any wood movement in the chair. This chair has to compete for attention with walnut and cherry chairs at the table. The sweet gum always gets the most attention and complements. When I make stool seats from it they are really popular. My only reservation about using it in furniture is the softness.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

John Doherty

It looks a bit like Black locust. Probably good for making pegs for timber framing due to the interlocking grain.
"We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master."   - Ernest Hemingway

JD Guy

Really nice craftsmanship!  If you're interested we have as much sweet gum as you would ever need. ffcheesy

TreefarmerNN

Beautiful craftmanship, just wonderful.

I agree it mills ok and is soft.  I've found it's usually pretty high in moisture content as well which makes drying a challenge. 

I would not use it for pegs due to softness but railroad tie treatment plants like it as it takes treatment well and the combination of softness and interlocking grain means it's resilient to crush by train loads, rebounding better than a more brittle but perhaps stronger wood. 

The last SG tree I cut and milled went into cribbing blocks, either 4 x 6 or 6 x6.  Depending on the grain orientation they can be as much as 1/2" off in dimension now.

Thank You Sponsors!