iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Paul Bunyan 2024, who's going?

Started by Old Greenhorn, September 13, 2024, 09:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

"Somebody" put a bug in my ear about going to the show this year and I am tossing the idea around in my head. Travel funds are pretty low (Taxes due next week), but I am pondering it. a little over 8 hours driving each way for me and I might just bring a tent for a night or two.
 Anybody else planning on it this year?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Wlmedley

I went a couple years ago and really enjoyed it.If my wife is filling up to it and the weather looks good I would like to go this year.I can drive it in around three hours. Would like to pick up some LegRite bench legs which are pretty reasonable without shipping and Husqvarna has a nice setup with some pretty good prices.I even bought a Woodmizer cap even though I don't own one it was a nice cap and I go through several a year. Also would like to meet some of you guys.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

Old Greenhorn

Bill if it comes to pass that you do that, I'd suggest calling LogRite and ordering the legs you want and have them put your name on them. Those legs sell pretty fast at the big shows. Telling them you are with the FF might help too. :wink_2:
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

WV Sawmiller

My wife and I are going up Thursday night and staying at the Budget Inn on Glenn highway (where I stayed last year). It was a decent little place and not too pricey. 

We will visit the show Friday all day then drive up to see her cousin in Mogadore OH that night and for a day or two.

If you guys are going PM me with your cell numbers and we might meet for dinner or at the show. I know we'll spend some time at the LogRite and WM tents.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

I hate to say it, but it looks like I won't be going this year either. I was hoping for good results from at least a couple of these last 3 shows but that didn't happen. The economy just sucks.

WV Sawmiller

We're keeping our fingers crossed, Maybe you will hit the NY lottery this week and we will see your smiling face.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

(Okay Tim, go ahead and pop yourself a bucket of popcorn and visit the loo)

We (My wife and I) got packed up and on the road to the Paul Bunyan Show (PBS) and pulled out ust before 11:00 am. We hit I-64 10 miles up the road and merged with I-77 at Beckly about 25 miles from home. We ran it all the way up to Cambridge OH near where the PBS is held. We passed over the 38th Parallel between Beckley and Charleston WV.

We passed over the Kanawah River which was up but not out of the banks from Hurricane Helene only because of the COE flood control Bluestone Dam at my home (Hinton WV) that creates Bluestone Lake that regulates the flow of water coming from NC and Virginia in the New River.

We stopped at a Cracker Barrel just south of Charleston for lunch and gas. I will know not order the chicken pot pie there again as calling it mediocre would be overly generous. We topped up the gas tank in my wife's Jeep Compass and got back on I-77, passed the state capital with it's distinctive gold dome. I guess we passed Bill Medley off to the right past Coonskin State Park out near the airport. Hopefully we will see him at the PBS. About 20 miles further up I-77 we passed Goldtown where the gold on the capital was supposed to have been mined IIRC.

We split off from I64 then I-79 and continued and crossed the Ohio River into Ohio. I was surprised to find how clear and blue-green the water was there. I was expecting it to be muddy like the streams in our area. We stopped at the Ohio Welcome Center for a potty break and to look for any other attractions in the area in case we decide to extend put trip by another day or so. We were going up to Akron Ohio after Friday's PBS to spend the weekend with my wife's cousin but they had to run down to their vacation home near Tampa Fla and try to dry out and remove wet insulation under their home there to prevent mold. The house itself is okay but the Lanai (A new word I learned because of Helene) and crawl space is wet. Neighbor's moved their car they leave there and saved it..

We merged with I-70 44 miles from the Ohio River and 4 miles later we were at the Budget Inn off exit 176. I stayed here last year at the PBS and it was cheap, clean and well appointed. For double occupancy this year the fare was $67 so I won't complain about that. We check in and it is clean, comfortable and the TV, A/C and Internet all work so life is good.
I saw I got a PM from Sean Nelson with Ph # so I called to see if we could meet for dinner. No response so my wife and I went to Theo's in downtown Cambridge and had a fine meal. Turns out a King size Pork Chop plate comes with 3 mice nice center cut char-grilled chops and my wife's Rueben was almost more than she could eat. (I don't want to hurt nobody's feelin's but them people speak sorta funny here in Ohio.)  Sean called about the time we finished and I found he was back in WV about 20 miles from my home so he'll be late tonight getting in. Hopefully we will meet at the FF HQ tomorrow at the LogRite display,

Got back to the hotel and my wife switched off the A/C and turned the heat on. There just ain't no pleasing that woman. A good hot shower and we'll see what tomorrow brings.
Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

Now Howard I know you have traveled and lived all over the world, particularly Africa and Northern Europe. You have displayed an amazing open mind toward regional foods and the very wide variety of things you have eaten and enjoyed...or not.
 But when you say this:
"  Turns out a King size Pork Chop plate comes with 3 mice "
 I have to wonder. First, I never knew this was an Ohio thing, but OK. Second.... How was it prepared?

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

Like I told the lady who helped us park in front of Theo's last night when I had the right wheels up on the curb 6 inches - "Picky, Picky, Picky!"

Correction made. Now to check out and go to the show!
Howard Green

Sean Nelson

Had a great time meeting up with Harold and his wife today. Got to meet a handful of others at the Logrite booth as well. Good conversation with the WM sales reps. If anyone is going to be around tomorrow send me a DM!
Life should be a journey that only ends when you are 6 feet under. Go all in, never stop striving to improve. Never let anyone steal your joy!

WV Sawmiller

Well I've lost this twice so I guess I'll post all the pictures then write.IMG_4135.JPG
IMG_4136.JPG

IMG_4137.JPG
IMG_4138.JPG

IMG_4138.JPG

IMG_4139.JPG

IMG_4140.JPG

IMG_4141.JPGIMG_4143.JPG

Got up and and checked out of the Bedget Inn at exit 176 on I-70. I heartily endorse it. Simple, clean, inexpensive and the water pressure would debark a fresh cut log. $67 for double occupancy King room this trip.

Can't recommend the grits at Cambridge Ohio Cracker. My would not even met the butter and were half cooked.

To the PBS and parked so far back I asked if I needed a National Forest Permit. At least they had golf cart shuttles to and from so not to bad.

Inside the high climbers were at work. Guy was near the top as we got in. My rope climbing days I figure (hope) are over.

Lot of exhibits and shows including the timber framing, chain saw carving and log rolling, ax throwing, log cutting with ax and crosscut saw.

Stopped by the WM and LogRite tents going and coming to pick up some spare parts I had them bring for my mill and to see old and new friends. Sean Nelson is the tall shy guy in the rear. I hear Nathan Elliot came by about 20 minutes after I left. I bet he was watching from cover.

I got my picture with Jade and Emarald, the sawmill girls, next to the WM tent but i suggest you don't trust your wife to take your picture with pretty, young girls as for some reason there was no picture when I got home. Oh well, the girls can treasure the memory anyway. ffcheesy

We left about 3:30 pm, stopped in Charleston WV at a fairly decent Indian Restaurant 1/4 mile off Exit 98 on I-77. I've had better but it was better than every meal we tried at Cracker Barrel.

We got home at little after 8:00. My wife commented how friendly and down to earth all the people we met had been.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!