iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A danderius tree proved it was dangerous.

Started by Jeff, September 30, 2024, 07:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I've had this bigtooth aspen snag slowly leaning out over a frequently used trail. The top was blown out in a storm in 2015 and it was probably deteriorating back then. Anyhow, there was nothing good about it. It was going to come down, and I needed to know when.
What would you have done differently? Yea, I know. Chaps.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Old Greenhorn

I MIGHT have put a cut where the front notch would be just to give it a break point and also see what kind of sawdust came out. Essentially it did barber chair on you but as you predicted, reading the tree, that didn't go far because of the rot. It hit the ground, nobody died and it's firewood now. Win-win-win as far as I can see. Looked like you might have been able to get some lumber out of that tree for next springs projects, and we all know there will be some new projects you will need lumber for. ffcheesy :wink_2:
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jeff

I honestly didnt expect to get the saw that far in. I was scared to touch the front with the saw because Ive seen where those big aspens have the lower trunk just blow out from all the weight above.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!