iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yestiddy

Started by DanG, September 21, 2005, 11:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

I guess Woodbowl ain't gonna own up to none of this, so I'm gonna fill y'all in on what was goin' on around these parts. ;D

WB brought his Woodmizer over on Monday to whittle up a whack of pine down the road from me.  The customer had talked to me first, but I ain't portable, and he didn't want to move the logs.  Anyway, I went up there Monday and hepped out a little by offbearing for him, and we had a really good time.  Made a little pile of boards and had lots of laughs before I had to bail out and go visit my parents, which I do every Monday evening.

Tuesday Morning, that would be "yestiddy" I went back up there and there weren't nobody around. ???  I finally found the customer's wife and she said ol' Woodbowl had broke down up the road, and the others was gone to git him.  I headed thataway, but met them bringing his truck in on the trailer.  He had had one of them catastrophic failures on the Interstate that we all dread the thought of. :o  The rear end on the truck had failed and spit the wheel, axle and all, out into the middle of the DanG road!  They had got the truck jacked up and put the wheel on good enough to get it on the trailer.  We decided we needed to take it to my shop, so the customer, Mr. Tommy, followed me here, pulling it on his trailer.  About a half mile from here, his little Ford Ranger's transmission decided to give up on the whole DanG affair!  The plot thickens! ;) :D :D  After a little cussing and a lot of discussing, we unhooked the trailer and pulled the sick Ranger out of the way. Then I lifted the front of the trailer with the Hootiemobile and dumped WB's truck, or what was left of it, out into the yard.  We came up with about 2 quarts of tranny fluid and put it into Mr. Tommy's truck and it managed to get about half-way onto the trailer.  Finished loading it with the winch in my truck, and we took it, Mr. Tommy, and his friend/helper, Mr. Mayo Potter, back to Mr Tommy's place.

This is getting long, ain't it?  Well, it was long yestiddy, too, but we got through it.  Y'all just hang in there. ;D :D :D :D

Me and WB tried to pull the truck over to the shop with the tractor, but the wheel kept running off of it, so we called on the Hootiemobile.  I lifted the rear end up and pushed it like a wheelbarrow.  It was going along pretty good, till it came time to turn, and WB realized the key wasn't in it and it wouldn't turn! :o :D :D  He waved me off, and I stopped, but we was headed downhill and the truck kept going till it slipped off the forks and went KERBLOOOEY onto the ground!  He got the key in it and I picked it back up.  It slipped off one more time, but was in range of the air and electricity, so we worked on it right there. ::) ::)

There was a lot of cleaning and straightening to do, since the hub had slid down the road at 60mph before going off into the dirt, and the wheel and axle had been spinning like a top in the middle of I-10.  Here's a few pics of what we were facing and what we did about it:

This shows the damage to the side of the truck.

Here's the brake carrier, turned down side upwards, showing how much damage the 60mph slide did to it.

This here is the axle stub after it spun like a top in the middle of the Interstate.  No way it was gonna go back in! :o

WoodBowl working on his splines with a cut-off wheel.

It's looking a lot better. 8) 8)

We finally got the splines straightened up enough to get the wheel back on the truck, but the brake plate was too far gone to be salvaged.  Besides, most of the springs and other parts were scattered all over the highway. :-\   I remembered an old trick I learned years ago, but had never had to use.  We took and 8 penny nail and cut it off, leaving about a half inch of the shaft on the head.  Took the rear brake line loose from the master cylinder, inserted the nail into the tube and put it back together.  This blocked off the rear brakes, but left him with good front brakes.

Ol' WoodBowl made it on home on this mishmash of "country enginuity", and last I heard was installing a brand new junkyard rear axle in his truck.  We'll see if'n he shows up on the job tomorrow.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

DanG

It be over ta Mr. Tommy's place.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

Whew!
I was about to head down to I-10 to pick up some trash! ;)

DanG

He wasn't pulling the mill when all this happened. He had left it on-site, as he has about a week's worth of work there.  If the mill had been behind, it probably wouldn't have turned out nearly so good.

pigman

DanG thats sounds just like one of my typical days getting to a saw job. :( :)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

brdmkr

Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That was a streak-o-bad-luck if I've ever seen it!  Glad there were no serious injuries.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

woodbowl

DanG............?    How long did it take you to type all that?  Both of your index fingers are gona' be so sore tomorrow you won't be able to stack lumber!  I finally got that mammy jammer back together. I couldn't find a rear end at a junk yard anywhere. Some Arabs came through and bought every speck of Isuzu diesel trucks for parts, cut them up, packed them in a millvan container and shipped them to Egypt. I had to get a new bearing, two seals and weld the keeper nut onto the axel. ::) ::) ::) About the only thing DanG left out was how long it took and how tickled he got while trying to work. It's hard to get much done when there's something funny comming at ya' every few minutes. ;D
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

SwampDonkey

If ya never had any bad luck, you'de be plum outta luck all together. ;D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DonE911

Glad your back in business WB.

Neat trick with that nail... had never heard of that one.

woodbowl

Me neither Don. DanG just saved the day,  8)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Murf

As someone who's all too prone ta episodes of Murphy's Law, all I kin say is ...........

Tain't ya'll lucky I wasn't there ......... just ta make it a tid more interestin' doncha know ........  ;)

Most importantly, twern't nutin but some metal, the skedule and some pride that got busted up.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

asy

Wow, I was on a job today, and the builder I'm working with had his father in law there with him helping out. Lovely man named Ken.

Ken's been a farmer for_ever. Farmed all sorts from cattle and pigs to crops etc. Very smart and capable man.

I mentioned the FF to him, and, since we were talking about country ingenuity, told him the story of DanG's fix-up and he said..  Oh yeah, have used that one myself. Works pretty well with a Rivett too!

So there ya have it!

Also, I've invited him to come along and meet you all, so hopefully he'll make his way here some time.

He's a preacher as well as a farmer, so I figure he'll fit right in.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

breederman

I broke a front brake hose once and put a nail in it and clamped it down with a small pipe clamp. Got me home but darn near would rip the steering whell out of your hands when you put on the brake.I like DanGs fix better!
Together we got this !

DanG

Gotta watch it doing the DanG brake trick with the fronts.  If you only got backs, you ain't got much, speshly in a pickup.

CHARLIE

Heck, after DanG's fixup, I don't see any need for Woodbowl to find new parts. Just drive it like that.......or.......since Mr. Tommy's tranny was shot, take the rear axle from the Ranger and put it on the Isuzu.....surely DanG had the Southern ingenuity to do that. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

DanG

Bleeeve me I thought of that.  Well not specifically Mr Tommy's truck, but it pained me to know I had just gave away 2 Rangers, the week before.  They were both junk, but the rear-ends was ok.

sawguy21

Never fails. Hang onto it until the missus complains or ya get tired of moving it. Next week ya need it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

submarinesailor

Been telling my wife that for 30 years.  She still doesn't believe me.  Tells me to get rid of the JUNK – her words not mine.  I call it stuff that I may need one day.

Bruce/subsailor

DanG

I get that all the time.  She's always after me to get rid of something.  I just tell her, "If I didn't want it, I wouldn'ta bought it in the first DanG place!" :D

The trucks were different, though.  Them was "stepson residue."  Yep, I got rid of "The Row of Shame" in the pasture...4 wrecked vehicles that SS abandoned here.  His driving is getting better, though.  The one he has now has only been wrecked twice and it is still rolling. ::)

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DanG

A little birdy told me it would be helpful to someone if this ol' thread floated to the top.  It's kinda fun anyway. ;D 8)

Weekend_Sawyer

My father told me about doing that trick on a dump truck back in the 50's.
Course Dad had the nerves of Steel. :D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

coxy

shot 22 shells work to

Thank You Sponsors!