iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

homemade arch

Started by Beweller, October 08, 2005, 01:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beweller

A friend is getting ready to make an arch to use with his ATV.  Any sources of info/help?  Thanks.
Beweller

Frank_Pender

Frank Pender

macpower

A word of warning for your friend... be sure the tongue of the arch can swivel. If it can't he will risk rolling the atv and/or ripping the receiver of it.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

jokers

Quote from: macpower on October 08, 2005, 06:08:12 PM
A word of warning for your friend... be sure the tongue of the arch can swivel. If it can't he will risk rolling the atv and/or ripping the receiver of it.

Hi macpower,

Are you suggesting something like a pintle hitch or is there some other type of hitch that you have in mind, or am I just way out in left field?

Thanks, Russ

Dan_Shade

the entire tongue needs to be able to rotate, freely.  This needs done in case the arch or the 4-wheeler rolls over on a hillside or in a ditch it won't take the other one with it.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

bitternut

Frank_Pender

You might consider trying to acquire a military pentil hitch unit, as they swivel.  I am not sure if there are others,  over the counter swivel units on the market.
Frank Pender

Rockn H

If it is strictly for atv use only, two pieces of pipe that fit one inside the other would work fine for making a swivel hitch.   

Dakota

Here's an arch I built a few years ago.  It cost me a couple hundred bucks.  Simple but effective.

Dave Rinker

macpower

The pipe inside a pipe for a tongue seems simple, and works on the one I have. It uses a ball hitch, but even a pin or a pintle would work with it.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

jokers

Thanks macpower and the others who suggested the pipe within a pipe, I could immediately visualize the benefit. I was also considering torsion axles to smooth movement over hummocks and whatnot in the bush, but with this type hitch, the need is negated.

Now my next question. Aren`t the rear tires of the atv very heavily loaded by the tongue of the arch with a fully lifted and supported log? Do you guys run the heavier ply rated tires on your atvs?

Thanks, Russ

caryr

Russ,

By appropriately setting the lift point (directly in line with the arch tires) you minimize the logs contribution to tongue weight. Ideally you also want this lift point to be closer to the wheels relative to tongue length to minimize the rotational contribution to tongue weight. Mark at Future Forestry has done an excellent job designing his arches and if I could only have one, his ATV arch would be my pick!

Cary

jokers

Quote from: caryr on October 09, 2005, 03:25:49 PM
Russ,

By appropriately setting the lift point (directly in line with the arch tires) you minimize the logs contribution to tongue weight. Ideally you also want this lift point to be closer to the wheels relative to tongue length to minimize the rotational contribution to tongue weight. Mark at Future Forestry has done an excellent job designing his arches and if I could only have one, his ATV arch would be my pick!

Cary

Gotcha Cary, I understand that, but what else I understand is that I probably wouldn`t obsess over a perfect static balance unless it is absolutely critical. A personal shortcoming on my part, no doubt. I do appreciate your input.

BTW, I went to the Future Forestry website and noted that they offer heavier tires for their atv arch. Their arches look to be first class.

Beweller

Beweller

Thank You Sponsors!