iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hearths

Started by sprucebunny, October 16, 2005, 07:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Bunny, any openings in the ceiling, leading upstairs, will be a natural heat funnel. Once the ceiling gets warm, it will radiate the heat to the upstairs. That fan MAY work, if it doesn't blow too hard and cool the warm air.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

QuoteNice pumpkins, Jeff but that ?? guy looks grouchy  ???

He certainly did. I fixed him. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sprucebunny

Thanks again, Harold and Jeff ;D

I know heat rises but the woodstove is at one cornor of the building and I would like the garage which is downstairs to heat, too. There is no door between the garage and the woodstove room. I will be cutting a hole near the top of the wall to duct the heat upstairs ( living area ) and have a hole in the wall near the floor downstairs with a duct along the floor to direct return air right to the hearth.

??? smiley check :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Fla._Deadheader

Sounds good Bunny.   Lots of folks tend to defeat the natural flow of heated air. Yer doin a fine job.  ;) ;) :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Murf

Joan, air is like water, it's a whole bunch easier to push it along than it is to try and pull it.

If you get that fan friend it will help too. That way you can have one fan upstairs pushing the cold air back down to be heated.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

sprucebunny

Ready for launching ;D

Got the blade up and the stove moved just got some chimney work to do.

And some more painting....

Even if you aren't building a hearth, how about some pics of the one you have ???

Roxie

Joan, you have done a FANTASTIC job!  The blade is just awesome!  8)
Our Amish friend is coming tomorrow to do the brick work for our hearth.  I'll post pictures, but it isn't going to be anything near as beautiful as yours! 
Say when

ohsoloco

Joan, that looks like it will be a great place to sit on a cold, snowy day sipping on a cup of hot beverage  :)

Jeff

I'm jealous. Now I want a sawblade on my ceiling. :D

Furby

With lights hanging from it? ;)

Jeff

Furby

smiley_headscratch
Uh....... ok...................... ::)

Jeff

...and a  chocolate shake dispenser and possibly a piñata.

Furby

I'm thinking a new bar top, or kitchen island with the blade recessed.
DanG it!!! >:(
Now I gotta buy the next blade I find. :D

sprucebunny

Roxie-I'm looking forward to pics of your new hearth. Did you design/plan it ??

The blade cleaned up nicely. I sanded it...quite alot and got the outer foot metal looking and you can see the striations from use. You can also see marks from hammering which is kind of cool but I don't know if it was hammered the right way ?? I put the same sealer on it that I got for the rocks and it has a nice sheen without being shiny. It's held up with long screws thru the holes in the shanks ( is that the right term ?) and spaced with pieces of copper pipe.I'll get a better pic when it's all done.

Hamburgers ...that's a good one  :D

It would be cool  set in a counter but you might have to put pouring resin over it to tame the teeth  :o

Patty

Wow! You have done a very nice job Joan! I can see when this corner of your house will be your favorite. It looks so warm and cozy. As Oso said, a great place to curl up with a book, a good dog, and a hot toddy!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Teri

Its looking very nice. You're doing great!!!!  ;D

Bro. Noble

That does look nice.

I need a sawblade for a tabletop (not recessed).   Nothing else seems to work to reduce the calorie intake. ::)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Bro. Noble on October 29, 2005, 06:59:06 AM
That does look nice.

I need a sawblade for a tabletop (not recessed).   Nothing else seems to work to reduce the calorie intake. ::)

:D :D :D :D maybe there needs to be more sawing between cow milking breaks. :D

Nice job sprucebunney. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

Bro. Noble, the teeth will remind you to keep your elbows off the table, too ;D

Thanks, everyone for the encouragement and compliments. I can't believe I have put this project off for so long ::) It's too warm from the sun to tell if it will heat the house well but anything will help.

First fire  smiley_big_grin3

Fla._Deadheader

Bunny, that is a first class job, well done.  8) 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

isawlogs

Joan you have done one fine job with this project ,  You will find the slab and edgins eater to work really well this winter . Great job It really , really looks good .  I am sure you will be proud to show it off and to have a morning coffee by it while  watching  the fire build up .  8) 8) 8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sprucebunny

Thanks , Marcel and Harold.

The thing that makes me giggle a little is that you have only seen one side of the room.

The other side is a wreck  ::) ;D I had to find a milkcrate to sit down. There is a slab of pine 14' long x 14" wide and 2+1/2" thick stood up against the opposite wall and various 4x4s and assorted lumber.

I got a bunch of work to do yet before I'll be sipping hot chocolate in an easy chair  smiley_big_grin3

isawlogs

A kiln also ... cool .  ;)
  Now how did the launching and landing go .  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

Quote from: sprucebunny on October 30, 2005, 11:21:51 PM
I got a bunch of work to do yet before I'll be sipping hot chocolate in an easy chair  smiley_big_grin3

Takes some 'sittin' and sippin' in da chair to make the best plans for what to do next.....so enjoy 'the plannin' sessions in front of the fire on da milkcrate...... :)    Is that slab for a bar top?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!