iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stump killer

Started by mike_van, October 27, 2005, 05:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_van

I've seen a green tinted chemical  put on stumps to keep them from sprouting, does anyone have a name for it?  I'm in the process of brush cutting along our brook, there's  multiflora rose over 1" dia, bittersweet vines,  grapevines, all growing up into nice maple trees. I know it will all resprout, seen it before.  Would really like to treat these cut off stumps. Any help appreciated - Mike Van
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Tom

There are many herbacides that will stop stump sprouting.  I have used Arsenal, the little bit that have done it.

Some folks say that wetting the stump with Roundup (glyphosphate) will work.

Also  Garlon (triclopyr) or Clarity (dicamba)  Tordon, Crossbow and Pathway are used for stump remeval.  Stumps and injections usually require concentrated solutions so it pays to study the effects and longivity of herbacides before you apply them.  Most of them now require a Applicator's license.

Be especially careful around your brook.  It would probably be a good idea to get your county forester to look at the site and recommend a procedure.

Woodcarver

Our extension forester recommended Tordon when I asked about treating box elders, but we don't have any open water in our woodlot.  I don't know if that might change the recommendation.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

bitternut

I would probably carefully paint the freshly cut stubs with full strength roundup. It should be applied immediately after cutting for best results. I know it says to not use around water but I notice NY State road crews seem to have no problem with spraying ditches along the highway. I would not spray any where near a brook because it is harmful to fish and other aquatic life. Supposedly soil contact will render roundup harmless so if some does drip off your paint brush onto the ground it should not have any harmful effects.

Texas Ranger

I have used a product called "Weed-B-Gone" found at the local hardware store with success.  Paint the surface right after cut.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Murf

A neighbour of mine at the lake had a clever idea that seemed to work Ok.

They used boiling water to disolve as much salt as possible into a few cups of water. Then put a balled up soaked paper towel on top of the stump and covered it with a scrap of plastic and held it all in place with a rubber band.

Apparently the stump sucks up the salty water and carries it down into the roots, killing everything.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Larry

Few random thoughts...multiflora rose is really tough to kill.  Can you check with extension or a government office and see what they recommend in your area?

Roundup only works during the growing season.

I have used Garlon, Pathway, Crossbow, and Tordon.  Best results for cut stump application was with Tordon RTU.  Every year EPA adds a new chemical to the restricted use list so don't really know what is available today.

Weed-B-Gone has also worked well for easier to kill plants.  Iffen I remember right it's mostly 2-4-D.  Weed One, another 2-4-D mix was also a great herbicide...but anything that is cheap and works good ends up on the restricted use list.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Patty

Tordon is the greenish blue liquid you referred to Mike Van. You apply it to the fresh cut stump. It works pretty well for us. I can go back to places we've cut and can really see where we were good about using it, and where we were not.  :-\   Last year we cleared an area that had been blown down by a tornado years ago, and was just a mess. We sawed down the remaing sticks and black locust trees, and Norm dug up the root balls, but we applied no chemicals, thinking it was not necessary. This year we went back there and could not believe our eyes. The area is now completely overgrown with black locust trees 10-15 ft tall. We need to start all over, only this time with a bulldozer instead of chainsaws and an excavator. I don't know if chemicals would have made a difference, since the locust send up shoots from their roots. We would like to keep the area chemical free to attempt growing some organic crops. I think the rule is that the land must be chemical free for 3 years before you can deem the crop as organic.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Larry

Couple more random thoughts...

Right-of-way crew sprayed our tobacco patch with Tordon accidentally.  Extension office tested the soil and said we could not plant any food crops (or tobacco) for 5 to 7 years.

Any chemical needs to be applied to the cut stump within a few hours to be effective.

Used to be a product call Spike.  It was dry granules that are sprinkled on the ground...did very good at controlling stump sprouts and such.  Active ingredient was Tordon and I'm almost positive it is on the restricted use list now.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

floyd

tordon is restricted now.

mike_van

Thank you for all the tips, probably Tordon that i'm looking for. I know a few arborists and tree crews that will pick it up for me, just had to know what to ask for. Patty, I know just what you mean, i've hacked out barberries, wild rose, etc, only to go back and see the smallest piece of root re-sprout.  Painting the stump tops, even with a small sprayer [like windex size] is all I want to do, i've seen the tree guys do  willow, and if you can kill that, you can get anything.  Willow will sprout in the wood pile is it's damp enough.

chet

Mike,
There are many products that use da telltale green dye, and Tordon RTU is one of them. There is a very good reason this is a restricted use herbicide. PLEASE read the attached link. http://www.beyondpesticides.org/dow/indepth/labels/tordon%20rtu.pdf
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

mike_van

Chet, thanks for the link.  Some years ago I sprayed herbicide on corn for myself  and 2 others here, probably 75 acres / year.   We used Banvel, Aatrex & Paraquat at times.  None of it's any good for you, but when used right it sure does the job. 

chet

Mike,,
These are some other products used for cut surface treatments. Tordon RTU, Garlon 3A, Weedone CB, Banvel CST, Weedone and  Control These are the trade names and may be rebadged under many different names. Some of these offer very distinct advantages over another choice depending on the situation.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Thank You Sponsors!