iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

moulders planers and things that go bang

Started by JD_Kid, November 05, 2005, 10:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
well hopefully  nothing goes bang  but ya never know   now  heres a question  i'm looking at doing some flooring and a heap of other stuff  that needs to be T&G  and  some nice mouldings would look cool to   now  heres the  guts of it i have looked at some 4 side  planer/moulders    which look ok  a bit pricey  tho (yea i know the old ya get what ya pay for  kinda deal ;) )   some other brands that  ya can change the knifes on the planer and run ya boards  though    but look like  it could be eazy  to go wrong  :'( .. what about a  planer  and then a spindal table ?? or router table  ?? .. then  i saw  that  there were add on's to a table saw for mouldings 

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hi_tools/article/0,2037,DIY_13936_3897495,00.html

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/proj_articles/tablesawmolding/

http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/magicmolder.htm
  so many tools so little  money  :D  any how  any one  tryed  any of these things or have a good bang for ya buck  brand to look at in planer/moulders

any other ideas ??
thanks
JD
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

Ianab

Guess it depends on how much you need to do.

I've done a bit of Shiplap and T&G panelling for my kitchen using a Dewalt portable planer and homemade router table. Works OK if you got the time and only want 100lm done.

At the other end of the scale I do computer work for a local timber company that run a big Wienig 6 head planer moulder. Neat machine, just poke rough sawn wood in one end and finsihed T&G comes out the other end. Of course it's probably worth 1/4Mil  $.

A planer and router/table is the cheapest way to go if you just want to so some for your own use. And they are handy machines to have in the workshop anyway. Get a decent router though, I've got a Makita 3612v that got plenty of grunt. If you need to do more, get a bigger planer and a spindle moulder with power feeder. If you want to do it commercially then you want one of those 4 head machines for bigger $$

Cheers

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JD_Kid

Hi ya Ianab
yea  i not on trade me there is one for 30 000 kiwi  4 sider   big looking bit of gear   i'm thinking a planer would be a handy tool  and maybe a router  or a spindal table  ,any one used the T&G bit's in  these tools ??   i have a floor in a woolshed to so 9m X1.8 m  and the wall behind the stand  1.2 M high  + there is an order for a new floor in kitchen  ...
with the Dewalt  planer  did ya  4 side it  before moulding  or  just  top and bottom sides ??
thanks
JD

Max sawdust

Hello,
I have the very same situation.  I was eying up that used moulder that sold on this forum a while back.  I have a small planer and a good router with table and need to t&g about 8,000 bf
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Ianab

Quotewith the Dewalt  planer  did ya  4 side it  before moulding  or  just  top and bottom sides ??

The panelling I've done is out of 4x1 so I can 4 side it with the Dewalt and get everythinig nice and straight first, then put a profile on it with the router table. It's a bit slow if you need to do a lot of it tho.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Den Socling

I made a router table and have made enough T&G V-joint paneling for our offices (and now starting on the house). I soon discovered that it made a LOT of dust so I rigged up this system.

I used a piece of square aluminum tube for a fence. One side was cut off (from my good-junk pile) The bit is surounded by the hollow fence and I hook the dust collection to the end. It works pretty well.

For me, the time consuming part of paneling is the planing. My little 3 HP can do it but it takes too many passes. If I'm doing more than a few hundred bf, it goes to a local mill for planing.

JimBuis

JD,

You can make molding with a table saw.  However, unless you have TWO table saws, I don't think you'll get much production.  We make our own moldings in my woodshop class with the table saw, but we never need much quantity.

If you are thinking of doing this as a specialty product, I wouldn't do it without a specialty machine unless you have extra time to do it.  The setup time for changing blades and cutters on a table saw can be too much if you are on the clock.

Good luck,
Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Gary_B

My father in law had some walnut he wanted t&g, so after I done all 4 sides on the planer, I used a small table saw to do the t&G, it really went well, the molding cutter I used  was a craftsman, now I have a unisaw, and I think that would speed the project up. As far as saw set up you have to run all the grooves and then switch to the tonge, its basically one change operation.

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
well a few phone calls around the place  and not a lot about  did track down a 4 sider planer moulder  but forgot to ask if it was 1Ph or 3 Ph  power as we only have single here  they wanted 12 K for it 2nd hand  or  go for a planer  and a spindal table  for about 4 K new   ment to be getting the info   in the post  ,i have noted  T&G spindals    for tables or routers  any one had a play with one ??

thanks
JD

Den Socling

getoverit

Ive seen those tongue and groove cutters on ebay too and wondered if the quality is all they say it is. How many board feet of flooring can you run through them before they are wore out?

I have a HUGE hickory tree that is being sawn into 1" boards now, so I have some time to come up with a planer and a way to tongue and groove it all for flooring soon (after drying). I'll also need a way to cut it from the 12" wide boards down to 3 1/2" boards, but I figured I could just whittle away at it with a table saw since it is a limited anount of wood anyway.

Ive been looking at kiln plans using a dehumidifier and a small heater and fans, and buying 2" thick styrofoam panels from Lowe's to make the "kiln" out of.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

iain

I use these babies for t&g work, plus this brand for most cutters now
the tooling is first rate
the carbide is the best and fat
you can normally get three professional regrinds, plus your own touching up
they might look pricey, but its cash very well spent, they come with all spacers and bearings, and are matched

iain

Thank You Sponsors!